PDA

View Full Version : Output Shaft Brake?

muskyslayr
02-14-2006, 08:29 PM
I saw one of these a while back now I can't remember where I saw it. It's a disc brake on the output shaft of the transfer case. Anybody got one of these? I'd sure like more info on it. Right now my parking brakes are junk, of course, and it'd sure be a nice way to get rid of all those cables and crap hanging off the rearend.

Billjohn
02-14-2006, 08:37 PM
That would be from Spidertrax. I have the kit in the garage waiting for install time (I want to make it street legal again).
Their site shows it out of stock, but you might give Tom a call and see if they are going to stock it again or if they are 'end-of-lifeing' the kit.
http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.79/it.A/id.1224/.f

Itsmejoe231
02-14-2006, 08:38 PM
They come off the SJ410 models. I think it can be installed on our t-cases fairly easily with minamal modifications.

There is also some aftermarket ones that can be had for some coinage$$
http://www.highangledriveline.com/images/stak_brake.jpg

http://www.coloradok5.com/highangle/205ebrake.jpg

Billjohn
02-14-2006, 08:42 PM
The stock units that came from SJ410's and were drum brakes.

Cool picture of the back of a MonsterBox. {grin}

Itsmejoe231
02-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Come to think about it....If I can make my own read disc brakes brackets then I am sure I can make a D-line brake. I would need a calipar and disc from a motor cycle and I probably could do the rest in my garage. [scratch head]

Billjohn
02-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Come to think about it....If I can make my own read disc brakes brackets then I am sure I can make a D-line brake. I would need a calipar and disc from a motor cycle and I probably could do the rest in my garage. [scratch head]

Probably. Take a look at the parts in the Spidertrax kit. It's not very complicated.

muskyslayr
02-14-2006, 08:53 PM

Hmmm...I was thinking the same thing...but where to get a cable actuated caliper???

Droopypete
02-14-2006, 09:03 PM
This is a pic of the drum on my transfer, the down side is it hangs down below the tranfer case, but not as low as all the discs I have seen made, they need the large disc to work properly.
An idea I had a while ago to combat the large disc, was to use a smaller diameter disc with dual calipers to get the same amount of mecanical advantage as a large disc with one caliper, a lot of work (probably why I havent done it :smile: ) but it would create a more streamlined belly pan.
Peter.

Droopypete
02-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Hmmm...I was thinking the same thing...but where to get a cable actuated caliper???

Go-cart shop

Itsmejoe231
02-14-2006, 09:05 PM
I think this is from a snow mobile but if they make them for that i am sure there are some type of bigger ones.
http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/street_motorcycle_brake_caliper_replacement_units/brake_caliper_universal1.jpg

muskyslayr
02-14-2006, 09:09 PM
I think this is from a snow mobile but if they make them for that i am sure there are some type of bigger ones.
http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/street_motorcycle_brake_caliper_replacement_units/brake_caliper_universal1.jpg

Spydertrax has one too I see...

wolfgang
02-14-2006, 09:38 PM
that's the brakes off of a kart. it's like $10, w/o pads. check out the link (http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/4-488.html?id=YKNDStPb). you would also need the pads (link (http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/4-10191.html?id=YKNDStPb)) and the disk is just a round piece of steel with 4 holes drilled in it. Is there a place that sells just steel disc's?

Itsmejoe231
02-14-2006, 09:48 PM
Look what I found on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-CB200T-Brake-Disc-and-Mechanical-Caliper-CB-200-T_W0QQitemZ4612825266QQcategoryZ35592QQssPageNameZ WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)<------clicky

Billjohn
02-14-2006, 09:48 PM
Spidertrax uses a mechanical spot caliper from Wilwood Engineering (part number 120-1360). It has a .62" piston and fits a .25" wide rotor. It lists at just above $64 without pads.

muskyslayr
02-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Nice find Joe...I wonder if that single pad is enough to hold the weight of a Zuk though...

Droopypete
02-15-2006, 04:58 AM
Nice find Joe...I wonder if that single pad is enough to hold the weight of a Zuk though...

It would have more to do with the size of the disc, as an example if you fitted a 6 foot diam disc, you could hold it with your thumb and forefinger, it is all about leverage.
Peter.

PS, I don't advise fitting a 6 foor disc:mrgreen:

purevil71
02-15-2006, 12:51 PM
HUMMM......My Mountain Bike has Hydrolic disks.....:mrgreen:

OK, just kidding....but the go-cart idea has me thinking some!!!
There's a place here in town that also sells brake kits for mini bikes and stuff like that that are cable operated.

xanthias
02-15-2006, 01:33 PM
I think some older motorcycles from the 80's used these. Also, I think most current ATV's with single rear disc brakes use cable actuated calipers. So, the parts house at your local ATV dealer might be a good source.

Sally
02-15-2006, 07:04 PM
also you might want to look at electric forklifts.

Those single piston calipers are used on many trucks.
If there is a forklift junk yard near you check it out or call a local lift place and ask them if the have any junkers laying around. Most usually do.

If it can stop a 5k forklift from 5 mph in 6 feet, it should hold a sammy with no problem
also I know the discs are small cause there is never any room inside for large ones.

Droopypete
02-15-2006, 07:21 PM
I think some older motorcycles from the 80's used these. Also, I think most current ATV's with single rear disc brakes use cable actuated calipers. So, the parts house at your local ATV dealer might be a good source.

You are correct, I used a Kawasaki cable actuated caliper on a transfer case mounted hand brake in my old land cruiser.
In Australia, your hand brake must lagaly be mechanical (not hydraulic/pneumatic).
Peter.

Itsmejoe231
02-15-2006, 07:36 PM
So do we all agree that a motorcycle brake calipar with a cable actuator will do the trick as long as you have a big enough disc? A single brake at the d-line has about 8 times the amount of force to stop than @ each wheel on the rear. If you figure a 4,10 gear ratio that multiplies the force 4.10 times and double that for the stopping power that you give up on both rear tires.

Droopypete
02-15-2006, 08:36 PM
So do we all agree that a motorcycle brake calipar with a cable actuator will do the trick as long as you have a big enough disc?

No argument from me Joe:mrgreen:
I found the motor bike ones to be better made and sealed, than the Go Cart types, the other issue I had was keeping it all tucked up out of the way from damage, put some energy into my twin caliper idea.
Peter.

wolfgang
02-16-2006, 11:11 PM
popcornn ok so we got the brake caliper figured out, but what has a disc like, easy to get and cheap?

Itsmejoe231
02-16-2006, 11:22 PM
That is where we will have to do some guessin unless someone that has some laying around to pull measurements on. I figure If I got a disc from a motorcycle with a larger bolt pattern than the drive flange on the t-case I could make an adaptor to fit. I already have a Mighty kong case skid that can withstand the force of the braking. [still scratching head]

simplesam
02-17-2006, 11:43 AM
72 honda cb 200 had a cable operated front disk assembly, try a bike salvage yard. it was a fairly decent size disk if I remember right..

purevil71
02-17-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm building a chopper out of a 84 Honda VT700, I'll pull the front disks off real quick and take some measurements for you all....
OH, pix of the chopper as it sits for right now....

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4760/bobber38al.jpg

Billjohn
02-17-2006, 03:25 PM
Ouch! Time to invest in some seat padding...

zukiWilson
02-17-2006, 07:38 PM
One way or another it's a hard-tail. Brent has to have one to ride it :mrgreen:

I have a 03' Honda 400EX, I can measure up the back and front discs once I head home again. You can usually find ATV stuff like that for pretty cheap on ebay. I have had a few quads with a locking parking break on the front brake lever. This is giving me some ideas...

wolfgang
02-17-2006, 10:08 PM
what about a ford festiva front brake? it's about 7 inches or so, and $19 at autozone?

Itsmejoe231
02-18-2006, 01:16 AM
what about a ford festiva front brake? it's about 7 inches or so, and $19 at autozone?

Is it a cable activated caliper?

purevil71
02-18-2006, 01:35 AM
Shadow brakes are out...too big, plus the center hole is huge.

Thats just a pan I was using for mock up. It does have a real seat on it now.

Itsmejoe231
02-18-2006, 01:42 AM
What is to big? I think bigger than the t-case flange is better cause you can make an adaptor to fit perfect witout drilling new holes on the disc.

purevil71
02-18-2006, 01:13 PM
Well, the disk it's self is like 11" and the center hole is like 6"
I suppose it could work, but I'm looking for something that you could possably bolt to the flange, or would that be a bad idea?

Itsmejoe231
02-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Not a bad idea at all. The thing is finding something that will match the bolt pattern of the driveline flange and that would make the search for a disc a lot harder. I was thinking of making an adaptor that would bolt up to the d-line flange and bolt the disc to that and a bigger bolt pattern would work better for the adaptor.

wolfgang
02-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Is it a cable activated caliper?

No, it's just a disc, about 7->8 inches in diameter with a small hole (about 1 inch or so) and it's not vented, so it might fit a motorcycle calper or a snowmobile caliper. It's just the smallest stock rotor I could think of that's eazy to get, and at $19 it's cheap.

muskyslayr
02-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Wow, what have I started? ha ha You guys get it all ironed out and let me know what you come up with!! :mrgreen: