PDA

View Full Version : webber, stock or propain?

toykilla5150
03-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Well im trying to get my zuk up and going now. I have a stock carb ON the zuk and i got a FREE webber 32/36. I am planning on swaping to propain eventually but dont have the $800 for the gotpropain.com kit and tanks. It would cast me $100 for the webber parts i dont have. i dont have any fuel lines ran yet from the unmounted stock tank. What do u all think?

desert runner
03-12-2007, 03:27 AM
I just did the propane conversion and I love it.I still have some tuning to do,but my truck picked up alot of power and drivability.Im running a tired old 1.3,and it could barly keep up with traffic with the stock carb,but now I can actually pass other cars!!!!!The gotpropane kit was really easy to install and their tech support is awesome.On your truck ,I would just run the stock carb for now until you get the propane kit.

rockrat
03-13-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm considering removing my fuel injection and installing propane on my 1600. more power less stuff.

WVhillbilly
03-13-2007, 11:50 AM
What size cylinder do you use 30lb? How is the mileage ?

desert runner
03-13-2007, 06:12 PM
What size cylinder do you use 30lb? How is the mileage ?
I am using a 33# fork lift tank(8 gallons).As far as mileage,I havent really driven all that far but so far it seems a little better.My truck is mostly offroad but I still drive it on the street some times.Most people that I have talked to say that you can run the 8 gallon tanks for about 8 or 9 hours straight( thats leaving it on and driving for 8 or 9 hours straight)

desert runner
03-13-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm considering removing my fuel injection and installing propane on my 1600. more power less stuff.

Do it. I want to see this system on a healthy engine(because it woke up my farty engine)

toykilla5150
03-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Ya my zuk is full offroad thats the major reason im thinking propain.FishMouth FabWorks biuld thread (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=555900) That is my friend i get to wheel with. If i stall out or get stuck, he is going to "bump" me free or running again. I dont want him to "bump" me! My motor has only 42k on it before it was pulled out of a zuk getting a bigger heart. Thanks for ur votes and explinations!

hillbilly
03-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Man if I could I would!:jumping: $hit I could get tanks from work!:funny:

Gearhead61
03-15-2007, 10:51 PM
I think propane or a motor swap will be in my zuk's future. I wouldn't bother messing with the stock carb or a weber if I didn't have to.

joe4thgear
03-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Does anyone have pics of the kit installed? I went to gotpropane.com and they didn't show it installed. Is there still a carb?

desert runner
03-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Does anyone have pics of the kit installed? I went to gotpropane.com and they didn't show it installed. Is there still a carb?
It uses a mixer & a regulator not much more to it, it has an on/off solinoid & some fuel line.Two wires to hookup and your done. http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m110/jackspics_2006/wheelin250.jpg

desert runner
03-20-2007, 02:54 PM
How is the mileage ?

I went wheelin on sunday for about 6 hours and used a 1/4 tank.So I used about 2 gallons of propane.I think its a little better than the milage I got with gasoline.

joe4thgear
03-21-2007, 12:20 AM
Wow, thats pretty crazy. I'm very interested, just wish I had the cash I'm putting in a new engine right now.

DcR660
03-21-2007, 12:28 AM
that is such a sweet setup im jealous

woodsrail1915
03-21-2007, 09:34 PM
you guys are all nuts you dont get no power from propane you lu 15 % with propane any one that tell you you dont is a dume ass

desert runner
03-22-2007, 04:32 PM
you guys are all nuts you dont get no power from propane you lu 15 % with propane any one that tell you you dont is a dume assmy truck picked up power & drivability.what experience do you have with propane??(dumb is spelled with a B)

mighty midjet
03-22-2007, 05:14 PM
propane is 105-110 octane the highest you can buy at the gas pump around here is 95 (lose isn't spelled lu)

billsbar
03-22-2007, 05:36 PM
The down side of propane is that it is not as combustible as gasoline. Usually it derates the engine horsepower by 10% of it's gasoline capable rating.

Sorry PROPANE -- LPG is yet another ``byproduct'' of the petroleum distillation process. By a lovely coincidence of physics these gases liquefy at reasonable temperatures and pressures, so that one gallon of LPG (liquefied; about 270 gallons in gaseous form) contains 27KWH of energy; 13 gallons of LPG is equivalent to 10 gallons of gasoline, even though to use as a fuel they are handled very differently.

LPG GASOLINE METHANOL
lbs/gal 4.24 6.4 6.84
BTU/gal 91,500 126,000 79,400
Boils at -44F 85-390F 149

But with the higher octane of the propane you can run more compression and more timing. So because of that you can build a motor for propane that will perform real close to as well as a gas motor. You will also need a good ignition system to give it more spark. The up side to propane is it keeps the motor clean. If you ever have taken apart a motor thats been run on propane you will be amazed how nice it looks.

Dirty Sanchez
03-24-2007, 10:18 AM
I used a set up from a 22r, dremel the shit out of the intake, rebuild the lockout and mixer. All for acouple hundred bucks, I still need the fork lift tanks though
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/chevamoto/DSCF0764.jpg

Dirty Sanchez
03-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Somethings to consider:
it's pressurized, no pump or dry spot in the tank during off camber
no wiring harness mods or sensors
simple to work on and diagnose
suitable fuel for turbo
you can put a t in the line and have a swing out bbqbigok

as for the power loss comments, that would be if the engine was set up for petro and you swapped it ignoring the changes that need to be made

geckocycles
11-26-2007, 11:07 PM
whose going to tell my youngest he can't ride with me anymore?

I have a hard enough time finding propane for the RV even with a phone book and high speed internet. Now it is $3.50/gal and Fred's Propane. Up from $2.10 the last time I filled up.

I'd like a 60% raise every 2 months or even 10 years!

Danazook
11-27-2007, 01:40 AM
I voted for runnin the stock carb until you can afford propane... Just buyin the propane setup now would work to but I know how it goes... Dont waist your money on tryin to setup the weber... I have never seen a weber worth a crap offroad... In my opinion there junk!!!

m2c

shorty
11-27-2007, 10:00 AM
you guys are all nuts you dont get no power from propane you lu 15 % with propane any one that tell you you dont is a dume ass

ONE freaking word will end all that crap: HITACHI

If you have a factory carb that is giving you issues like mine was... TRUST ME!!! you GAIN HP & driveability. You can sit back and say what you want, but until you actually remove that half brain dead carb and instll the mixer and set your foot off into it... I don't wanna hear another word about it.whip

billsbar
11-27-2007, 10:24 AM
ONE freaking word will end all that crap: HITACHI

If you have a factory carb that is giving you issues like mine was... TRUST ME!!! you GAIN HP & driveability. You can sit back and say what you want, but until you actually remove that half brain dead carb and instll the mixer and set your foot off into it... I don't wanna hear another word about it.whip

Now that I'll agree with. I think thats why the MySide felt like I added 2 cylinders. It may not be the MySide is so great but the Hitachi was so bad. Either way it was a cheap pick-me-up for an old worn out 1.3

billsbar
11-27-2007, 10:26 AM

Nice second post, :funny:

virginislandzuki
11-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Woods right you lose power but only if you go from EFI to Stink gas from carb to stink gas you do get more from what everyone says....why not just run duel fuel propane and gasoline...check the tech section for duel fuel they should have a couple of guys with it in here...but woods also a dumbass cause he never specified as too what application gains or loses...the other problem is that you'll never actually fill the tanks completely full they have to have some type of air space(not really air just space volume) to expand. You can agree or disagree with me but then again I'm not in Hess Operations for my health so I guess I do know enough about hydrocarbons lol.....

virginislandzuki
11-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Billsbar must be a lab tech guy especially talking about BTU's(British Thermal Units) in the refining business cause no one talks about distillation like that for no reason...but good info none the less Bill share your knowledge....Woods just can't spell so....yeah he's retarded we all know that...:mud:

WVhillbilly
11-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Now that I'll agree with. I think thats why the MySide felt like I added 2 cylinders. It may not be the MySide is so great but the Hitachi was so bad. Either way it was a cheap pick-me-up for an old worn out 1.3

:agree: bigok

propane
11-28-2007, 09:11 PM
No loss of power in any of our kits. Ask anyone who actually runs our kit. It's designed specifically for the samuri motor. I used to design alt fuel vehicles for the govt. I do it right so you get years of trouble free runs out of it:happy
There is also some more room in these if you want to make a hot rodded motor. We also recommend milling out the center divider in the intake, as well as the timing advance, and it should run at least as good if not better than it ever did stock.bigok
Cary:happy

Zee
11-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Cary,
Welcome to ZK,and thanks for posting up.
The propane topic seems to get into some fairly healthy discussions,especially considering how little HP our Zuk engines have.
I bought a kit from you during the summer,still haven't installed it yet but will soon.
Explain why the plenium should be taken out of the intake,i am curious about this.
Does any one make an aftermarket ignition for the 1.3,like Pertronics maybe?
Z

shorty
11-29-2007, 12:29 AM
Explain why the plenium should be taken out of the intake,i am curious about this.

X2... cause my lazy ass did NOT do that... UMMM so I guess I should pull mine off and do the same treatment to the vac ports and plenium like I did for my buddies My-side.

propane
11-29-2007, 08:09 AM
It's just an airflow restriction. It's not the reason they run so well but a way to make it run a little better. Every bit countssmokin
The stock ignition system is more than adequate do do this conversion.
Thanks again,
Cary:happy

rupzuk
11-30-2007, 12:22 AM
the poll should have had My-side as an option IMO .

WVhillbilly
11-30-2007, 06:39 AM
the poll should have had My-side as an option IMO .

X2

mikevyota
11-30-2007, 08:57 AM
Does any one make an aftermarket ignition for the 1.3,like Pertronics maybe?
Z

It's an easier path for the atomized fuel and air to travel, basically free horsepower. You can remove the divider and smooth the floor and sides ( or go balls out and have the intake extrude honed!!) for an increase in port velocity. Don't go too crazy though, as you don't want to open it up too much. The port size shouldn't be too large or velocity will slow down unless the size of the engine( and the amount of air it ingests ) is increased.

An area most people overlook for benefit of airflow is the exhaust side. All engines should use most of their A/F once it hits the exhaust, so you can go to almost a full polish on the exhaust side ports of any engine. Port match the exhaust port to the header( manifold?) and gasket for a increase in power. You can also smooth any sharp edges in the flange of the header as well.

Head porting is a lengthy subject to get into here, but mild porting will increase flow and power very easily with minimal work( read $$$$). Engines are just big air pumps, the amount and the rate that it enters and exits determine's the output. Easy huh??bigok

An MSD ignition can be adapted to your Sami, though I doubt you'll see much of an improvement with a stock engine. A good, stock electronic ignition will do ya' fine until you get the compression ratio up and start burning alot of fuel.

Original question: I'd run the stock carb til you can swap to propane, if the stock carb runs decent.

madzukr
11-30-2007, 09:13 AM
I voted for runnin the stock carb until you can afford propane... Just buyin the propane setup now would work to but I know how it goes... Dont waist your money on tryin to setup the weber... I have never seen a weber worth a crap offroad... In my opinion there junk!!!

m2c

i'll second that!!!m2c

virginislandzuki
11-30-2007, 02:16 PM
My question is why don't you guys at gotpropane work on an EFI set up or even a way for us EFI bwoys to use propane thats the only down fall thats keeping me from using the kit or any kit for that matter.....but propane doesn't know how to e-mail people back so I don't think that will ever happen cause I don't know if I should get a carb manifold or get a carb or just remove the throttle body and hook up the propane that way.....why you got to be helping the TOYOTA bwoys out with EFI...lol naw really I don't G.A.S. so keep converting those carbs guys....EFI for life!!!!!!!!!

toykilla5150
12-08-2007, 04:24 AM
The gotpropane.com kit will work just find if you bolt it to the plentum. i saked Cary about this incase i ever went to a 16v swift motor. For the small 1.3l you will get the best hp gain and the best throttle responce with the shorter intake system.

If your affrad of not gaining enough HP with a 1.3l on pane, do what im working getting my peices for. 1.3l swift 16v with a turbo. est. 110+HP

mikes88zuki
09-18-2009, 09:25 PM
where do i fine this propain site i tried gotpropain.com and nothing? please help me out thanks guys

mikes88zuki
09-18-2009, 09:28 PM
sorry guys i found it:dance:

dadstoybox
09-18-2009, 09:44 PM
propane, cleaner , dependable and a huge improvement over a stock carb when wheeling

dadstoybox
09-18-2009, 09:47 PM
damn , yall quit diggin this old shit up lol

Nuts
09-18-2009, 11:02 PM
damn , yall quit diggin this old shit up lol

X2, i thought there was a new thread and got excited2finger PROPANE RULES!!!!