PDA

View Full Version : Won't start, help needed

Paulyester
03-08-2007, 02:47 PM
I appreciate the help everyone's been so far in my resurrecting my new sammi from the grave. This is my first samurai and I'm learning a lot as I go, and I'm almost over the hump in getting this thing started. I've confirmed that I have spark at every cylinder, I've got the fuel pump pumping into the carb, no fuel filer, etc.

The motor turns over good and many time sounds like its a going to fire up, but it doesn't quite get there. I've sprayed starting fluid into the carb a couple times and that doesn't seem to help much. Then last night I turned the distributor clockwise (looking down on it) and that seemed to get it even closer to starting. I turned it all the way clockwise but still no luck. This has me thinking that my problem has to do with timing? Any advice would be appreciated. Should I take the timing belt cover off and make sure it is aligned properly there (if so how do I do that)?

Thanks again guys.

hillbilly
03-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Try pulling #1 plug out,take a piece of paper toweling and wedge it in the #1 spark plug hole tight.The idea is here to find when the cly. pressure builds in the #1 cly.Just bump the ing. switch until the toweling blows out.Now look at the timing marks they should be close to lining up.Rotate the eng. by hand to line up marks on top dead center.Pull your dist. cap and see were the rotor is pointing.Does it line up with the #1 spark plug wire?Can you rotate the dist. so it does?If all this is lined up the timing is at 0 deg. before top dead center.This should get it to start.If it's just an ing. timing problem.Set the timing with a light to 10 deg before top dead center.Hope this helps.bigok

Paulyester
03-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Cool, thanks for the info Hillbilly, I'll give it a shot