PDA

View Full Version : Prime Fuel System?

Paulyester
03-06-2007, 07:42 PM
I've got a 1.3l with the mechanical fuel pump. Tonight I took off the tank and cleaned it out real good and installed a new fuel filter. When I hook everything up, do I need to prime the system some how, or will that pump suck gas all the way from the tank by itself.

Also, where can you pick up a fuel filter for this motor. I've checked all over and finally settled for a similar looking Pep Boys filter (hope that works). A lot of places had a part number but weren't in stock and couldn't special order them

captaindavid
03-07-2007, 12:25 AM
parts plus......thats where i got mine

jbzukin
03-07-2007, 09:03 AM
any good quality in line filter will work.
you won't need to prime the system. when you crank the engine the pump will draw the fuel from the tank. I just may crank a couple seconds longer.

Paulyester
03-07-2007, 09:13 AM
So should I assume if I crank it for a couple of minutes and it hasn't sucked gas to the filter yet that my fuel pump is bad? I disconnected the hose that goes into the pump and cranked it and there was suction, but it didn't feel like much at all. I just don't have any idea what they should feel like if they are working properly

hillbilly
03-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Fill the carb with gas from squirt bottle.Just put in though the float bowl vent in the top of the carb.It will run on that until the fuel pump can catch up.:happy

Paulyester
03-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Fill the carb with gas from squirt bottle.Just put in though the float bowl vent in the top of the carb.It will run on that until the fuel pump can catch up.:happy

Tried that route. Can't quite get it to fire. That will be my next source of questions. I know I have spark on all four cylinders right now, I just don't know if its A.) at the right time and B.) in the right order. I don't know how to time it yet and I haven't been able to figure out which wires from the distributor go to which cylinder. I know the firing order is 1-3-4-2... right?

Itsmejoe231
03-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Have you downloaded the FSM yet? I can send you one if needed.....

Paulyester
03-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Have you downloaded the FSM yet? I can send you one if needed.....

I finally was able to download it last night. There is a drawing in there of the distributor, but it doesn't relate to real world very well. I can't tell if I have the #1 wire in the #2 spot or not. I'll mess around with it more when I get home.