PDA

View Full Version : timing

rikisuzi
03-04-2007, 07:51 AM
i have a 95 sidekick with 128000 miles that suddenly started running bad and backfires when put in gear.Fuel pres. ok, fuel inj just cleaned & pressure tested, getting fire to all inj. Computer code came up for MAF sensor when it first happened.Installed new MAF sens, Looked for vacum leak None found. Is not setting any new codes. New power brake booster. Replaced timing belt at 62000.Knocked out cat conv at 98000.Checked timing w/timing light OK.Took off timing belt cover and my camshaft gear has two timing marks on it ( "I" & "E" )Right now with #1 at TDC "I" mark is 4 teeth off and "E" mark is 180 deg off.When i try to set the "E" timing mark rotor is turned to #3 and motor won't run at all.ANY SUGGESTIONS??? What the heck is going on? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

WVhillbilly
03-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Timing belt is prob due again. But it will run if not in gear? Just runs bad. Hmm someone else will chime in hopefully but my guess is timing belt.

ack
03-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Here is the deal:

It sounds like your belt jumped a few teeth.

the timing belt is set up so that the camshaft mark is at the very top and the crankshaft mark is at the very top.

Now certain camshaft pulleys come with, I guess, two marks. I have never seen this in my '88 Samurai or my '93 Sidekick but according to the picture in the Chilton Total car care CD - Import Trucks and SUVs, the correct camshaft mark is the one centered on a spoke.

Once you have those marks postioned at the top of each pulley, you should be able to install the timing belt and it should work fine.

If you have pulled the distributor assembly, you need to re-insert it so that, with the pulley marks pointing up, the rotor is pointing to the #1 cylinder on the distributor cap.

Hope this helps!

WVhillbilly
03-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Was about what I was thinking, don't have a lot of Zuki engine experience tho. Worked on about everything else. My Chevy truck did the same thing, same symptoms. New chain and gears fixed it right up!