PDA

View Full Version : new member, new sierra owner

Ned
02-12-2006, 06:25 AM
hi
just bought my first suzi sierra (samurai) and am loving it, even in stock form. jamminzz

i would like to know a few things

power steering, whats needed and how hard?
SPOA, how to be done cheaply? can weld and fabricate.
Rocky Road out fitter wrangler conversion...any good?
whats needed to clear 33' tyres?

also, i have a problem in my town of "5 finger discounters" and would like to put a nice sound system in my Zook. i also enjoy leaving the top off during summer and was wondering if theres a product out that seals the front cab area from the rear...like a wall thingo??

anyway, cheers for the help

Sally
02-12-2006, 12:22 PM
First off congrats on your zuki purchase and welcome to the boardbigok

Be sure to go out and wheel it stock before you do any mods to it. They are a blast to run the trails that way.

Rocky Road = Pain in the Butt in my book, don't waste your time and money with them jokers. there are plenty of vendors that sell great parts
http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=420

SPOA can be achieved real cheap if you don't want mad flex.
You can run stock leafs and shocks until you want to upgrade more.
add on some brake line extensions and a rear driveshaft spacer and your SPOA. also a drop steering or over the top setup will save you from bent linkage.

check the forums build up section for more helpful hints on how to fab thins such as perches and missing links.

33's will fit with minor bumper mods, about 6" of suspension lift and 2" of body lift mabye less than that.

my truck had 33's without a heepeater RRO kit i ran a calmini SR with stock springs and a 2" body. the 33X12.5 only rubbed at max flex and steer.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/D2theJ/Picture031.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/D2theJ/riley__pick_011.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/D2theJ/riley_pick_053.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/D2theJ/riley__pick_056.jpg

blakroze zuki
02-12-2006, 12:45 PM
I have to agree with Sally on this one. Drive it stock first. I found out real fast the things that needed to be done asap that way.

Itsmejoe231
02-12-2006, 12:59 PM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/D2theJ/riley_pick_053.jpg

What is the name of your Rig? "One eyed Wheelie" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just kidding with ya!! Looks good and very capable!!

DesertZuki
02-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Congrats and welcome!

Power Steering:
Two popular options come to mind; 1) sidekick/tracker and, 2) toyota. I don't know a thing about the toyota. Trail Tough (TT) sells a complete conversion for the track/kick power steering conversion, you just need the pump, resevoir, and steering box. (There's lots of other little stuff to know, but that's a start)

SPOA:
Probably the best tech write-up on the net about building a spring over: http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=174
I agree with Sally. Wheel it first in stock configuration, then wheel it in spring-over (you already have the springs -- the price is right) Then progress to YJs if you still feel the need.

Rocky Road out fitter wrangler conversion:
I had the Rocky Road Outfitters (RRO) bolt-on spring over conversion. Nightmare-ish. If you can fabricate do it yourself. My kid did his spring over for less than $100 including paying a welder to mount the spring pads.

Seperation of cab from rear:
Like this?: http://www.roadlessgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BT80061&Category_Code=SB&Store_Code=RGL

DesertZuki
02-12-2006, 01:04 PM
What is the name of your Rig? "One eyed Wheelie" It's all fun and games 'til you lose an eye...

budhazuki
02-12-2006, 01:09 PM
I will third the drive it before you build it and would also suggest to wheel with some already built ones to see what you like about each type of lifts you get to see. there are alot of different types of lifts out there for the Sami just depends on your willing to spend for steering i likr the over the top steering over a drop drag link i run the drop drag and it sucks (my opinion) i built Blak's zuk with an over the top and like it a whole lot better alot more control..I also run a 5.5 SPOA with a 2 inch body and just barely clear my fenders and plan this summer to modify the fenders and repaint also make sure you do some kind of gearing to turn those 33's stock gearing turnig those on a trail will not be good for long ...and that is 1 cent of my 2 cents

Grady aka Budha

Sally
02-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Seperation of cab from rear:
Like this?: http://www.roadlessgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BT80061&Category_Code=SB&Store_Code=RGL

I think in a 5 finger area he might need something more like this
They will just cut the top for entry on that one but that does do the job of seperation.
http://www.arcticoffroad.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=8544&g2_serialNumber=1

What is the name of your Rig? "One eyed Wheelie" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :p
I called it Doc cause of the DOHC engine it had to compensate for a lack of gearing.

side note i am always having headlight problems
http://www.youtube.com/w/One-head-light?v=sjQ0QMAFZzE&search=d2thej

Ned
02-12-2006, 05:37 PM
awesome replies guys, cheers.

so, just that basic sping over kit will give me enough clearance to clear 33 tyres. i love the look of that one-eyed Zook, lots of clearance between wheel and arch.

gearing- whats this all about then? im guessing you mean change the pinion size?

covers- the vinyl one is good, i want something that i can cruise along with the barrier down and then once i stop it can simply be put up. $90 is a bit steep though i think, or maybe not??

engine- hows this sound for engine mods. weber 32/36 carby, snorkel, header, 2 inch exhaust piping, mild cam shaft and electro cooling fan?

the shocks, bushings and leafs are all on there last legs. should i go stock replacements or upgrade to extended shocks and stronger leaf springs?

anyway, cheers again

EDIT: yeh, i have wheeled it a couple of times stock...it got stuck a couple of times and the stock tyres werent really cutting it.

EDIT 2: can someone give me the truth on SPOA. what are the road manners like? i know this also depends on tyres as well, but say im running 33' A/T. will i have to be constanly on my guard while driving or is it basicly the same as before?

Droopypete
02-12-2006, 06:06 PM

so, just that basic sping over kit will give me enough clearance to clear 33 tyres. i love the look of that one-eyed Zook, lots of clearance between wheel and arch.

gearing- whats this all about then? im guessing you mean change the pinion size?

covers- the vinyl one is good, i want something that i can cruise along with the barrier down and then once i stop it can simply be put up. $90 is a bit steep though i think, or maybe not??

engine- hows this sound for engine mods. weber 32/36 carby, snorkel, header, 2 inch exhaust piping, mild cam shaft and electro cooling fan?

the shocks, bushings and leafs are all on there last legs. should i go stock replacements or upgrade to extended shocks and stronger leaf springs?

anyway, cheers again

EDIT: yeh, i have wheeled it a couple of times stock...it got stuck a couple of times and the stock tyres werent really cutting it.

EDIT 2: can someone give me the truth on SPOA. what are the road manners like? i know this also depends on tyres as well, but say im running 33' A/T. will i have to be constanly on my guard while driving or is it basicly the same as before?

Ned, if you are chasing the looks of a large tyred spring over zook then by all means go for it,
if you are wanting a serious custom off roader, then don't rush it, join the local Suzuki club, see what others have done (and why) what worked and what didn't, let them make all the mistakes, if you search the net and mags looking at what others have done and basing your car solely on that, the custom off roader will be someone elses build not yours, the design and build is half the fun, and do it slowly, one mod at a time so you can tell what has worked or what hasn't.

I remember fondly back when my Sierra had small mud terrains and a locked rear diff, it was fun, fun, fun!!

A SPOA zook on 33's is a much bigger handfull than a stockie, mine is better since getting rid of the Zlink but I still know I am driving it.
Peter.

Sally
02-12-2006, 06:16 PM

that was with a 2 inch body lift also and no bumper. the bumper will hit with only 31's
There will be a giant debate on this if you want to start another thread. Some guys add gears to the t case some to the diffs and some to both.
It all depends on how fast you want your top speed to be and what type of wheeling you do. And how much street time the truck will see.

That price is fair IMHO. They also make a fastback style top if you like that look more. The fast back seals the cab much more than just the strait down one.

it would then look like mine with a snorkel instead of a cold air
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/D2theJ/425fd89d.jpg

Upgrade the shocks I prefer Doetch Techs. When upgradeing shocks also extend the mounts. ford towers are under $30 for a set of 2 and Sky also sells some cool hoops. There are many leaf options to chose from, you might consider running rears up front and some yj's on the back.
and for the body mount kit
http://www.samuraiparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=274&products_id=976&osCsid=de793dfa6ef03e3867353b9c0ef76191

anyway, cheers again

I consider them stock untill they have more than 2"s of lift and 31's or gears

Oh and you can spend lots o cash and stay spring under if you want and still run 33's
http://www.vintagesuzuki.com/project_mrmutt_01.htm (http://www.vintagesuzuki.com/project_mrmutt_01.htm)

:mrgreen:

Do you see what can of worms you got your self into now:p
There is so many different mods that you can do to every part of the truck that only you can decide which one you want. they all have their pros and cons.

zukking01
02-12-2006, 08:14 PM
When I did a spoa with a z link and spaces I ran b f goodrich 31" tires and I drove it like it was stock. I think it was actually a little easier to turn the tires with the lift.

holeshot
02-12-2006, 11:40 PM
Ned, if you are chasing the looks of a large tyred spring over zook then by all means go for it,
if you are wanting a serious custom off roader, then don't rush it, join the local Suzuki club, see what others have done (and why) what worked and what didn't, let them make all the mistakes, if you search the net and mags looking at what others have done and basing your car solely on that, the custom off roader will be someone elses build not yours, the design and build is half the fun, and do it slowly, one mod at a time so you can tell what has worked or what hasn't.

Thats some of the best advice I've heard.
I wish I knew then what I know now. I went through all the differant suspenisions, axles, and gears to get where I'm at now.
Decide what type of wheeling your going to do and wheather or not you want it to be total offroad or still be somewhat streetable, and then build it once and correctly the first time.

Vagabond
02-13-2006, 02:47 AM
Use the forum search function and read a lot. Then you can ask informed questions about the things that you need clarification on. There's no one way to do anything. They all have their pros and cons. Know your options. You can't make informed choices until you understand what you're getting.

Road dust and vibration/bumps are not kind to good stereos. It's easier to get something removable then to try to isolate the whole cab.

Ned
02-13-2006, 02:48 AM
it will be driven 5 days a week on the street and then weekends will be offroad.

the thing is, i dont know what setup is best suited for what type of driving. kinda why im asking for help. is SPOA too drastic for this type of driving? would just a 2-3 inch lift be suitable?

would you recommend welding up the rear diff? or should i invest in a Air locker front and rear?

i dont really mind copying peoples ideas/work. i just want something thats going to be strong, long lasting and effective.

Vagabond
02-13-2006, 03:40 AM
it will be driven 5 days a week on the street and then weekends will be offroad.

the thing is, i dont know what setup is best suited for what type of driving. kinda why im asking for help. is SPOA too drastic for this type of driving? would just a 2-3 inch lift be suitable?

would you recommend welding up the rear diff? or should i invest in a Air locker front and rear?

i dont really mind copying peoples ideas/work. i just want something thats going to be strong, long lasting and effective.
Don't weld the dif if you're using your rig on the street. SPOA is not drastic at all. Super easy and cheap if you can weld. Much more useful than a body lift. Look into a Mercedes steering arm over the top mod to offset bump-steer. Air lockers are expensive. I've got locking hubs on the front, and a Lock-Right locker in the rear.

That will get you started.

Ned
02-13-2006, 04:36 AM
yeh, i also dont think i will need locked diffs for the type of terrain ill be on.

any luck with parts from breeze industries and calmini? i was thinking breeze industries SPOA kit, calmini 2" shackal reversal kit, calmini HI STEER kit, DT 8000 shocks and some kind of stronger leaf springs. sound good?

Ned
02-13-2006, 08:10 AM
well just being doing my research and have found that its either Shackle reversal or SPOA. so i guess i will start with a breeze industries 5.5 inch SPOA kit, DT 8000 shock, Calmini HI-STEER kit, a set of OME springs, ford f150 front shock mounts or calmini ones and calmini rear shock towers.

here in western australia, its illegal to have the eyebrow(base of headlight) more than 6 inches above stock. with 33 inch tyres, will i be alrite?

also, i am getting the calmini C2 front and rear bumpers.

all up, its going to cost about $2000 which i think is pretty fair. also, there is a local person doing exactly what i want for the rear gaurd. she also makes bikin tops and tonnuea covers.

DesertZuki
02-13-2006, 02:17 PM
well just being doing my research and have found that its either Shackle reversal or SPOA. so i guess i will start with a breeze industries 5.5 inch SPOA kit, DT 8000 shock, Calmini HI-STEER kit, a set of OME springs, ford f150 front shock mounts or calmini ones and calmini rear shock towers...
Gears?

Ned
02-13-2006, 05:26 PM
yeh, i havent found enough info yet...still researchin what ratios i need.