PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 swap w/o adaptor plate???

Touz
02-19-2007, 05:43 PM
does any of you guys swapped a 1.6 8v in your samurai without any adaptor plate???I think itsmejoe23? did it .....did he??

I looke at the nitromax site and he didnt use any....I'm just looking for some tips or some advise on how to join the engine and tranny together any pro's and con's on that technique????

if you have any good link to show me I'interested!
:happy

thanks guys

jbzukin
02-19-2007, 05:55 PM
it could be done, all you need is a 2wd kick trans and then fab up new engine mounts and a different trans mount. I remember reading somthing about a Dodge motor mount but can't recall which one they used.
not sure about putting a 1.3 trans in without the adapter plate. the 1.6 has a larger bolt pattern

Mikey
02-19-2007, 06:13 PM
think there are just 2 bolts that don't line up between a 1.6 8v tranny and a sami tranny.
I'm just going to use the kick tranny (using 318 engine mounts, just not sure about the tranny mount.)

sledhead004
02-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Do a search on this topic.You can use 2wd sidekick tranny,all you have to do is make a new crossmember for tranny and shorten intermediate shaft to fit, but use the sidekick slip yoke,I am getting ready to do this swap, still gathering some pieces and other stuff.Oh ya you can use dodge 318 motor mounts, I got minr the other day at NAPA for $10.00 just tell them like a 1976 dodge 318.Then drill your mount brackets out with 1/2 drill bit.:dance:

Nuts
02-19-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm in the middle of doing this right now,the top 2 bolts line up with the sammy tranny,and the bottom 2 are about 1'' wider on the 1600,you have to thread a bolt into the back side of tranny cut the head off, put a bolt through the motor and put 1 between the 2 and weld them all together,thats how nitromax did it,and I'm try'n it too.I have it bolted together but haven't driven it yet so i don't know how long it will last,I'll post some pictures tomorrow

Touz
02-20-2007, 04:15 PM
thanks a lot deeSnuts waiting for the pics!

and did you use the thin plate between the tranny and engine??and did you use the 1.3 clutch and pressure plate?? thanks a lot popcornn

and no I don't want to use the 2wd kick tranny!! I never ever seen a 2wd kick in my part of the country...

and stop talking about the dodge 318 motor mounts.....I said I was ok with all the other thing.....but thank bigok :happy

and DeeSnuts and the others....do you think its a good way of doing the swap??Is there any con's of doing it like that??

sorry for my english, but I from quebec and I speak french all day:rofl:

Nuts
02-20-2007, 04:55 PM
no pics yet,I'm going to the garage in a minute so they'll be up tonight,I did use the factory sammy shim/plate between the engine and tranny,used the sammy clutch and flywheel,as far as good or bad... I don't know yet,I wanted to try it because its different,and I'm cheap,lol, I don't think I'll have any trouble out of the bolts welded, beside people making fun of me for doing the most hillbilly thing ever,but to them I say 2finger , I'm going to make a new passenger side motor mount and you'll see why in the pics later

Touz
02-21-2007, 07:28 PM
thanks a lot for sharing your info with me!!!

I'm cheap too!!!!!!:jumping:

have a good day!

touz(sick of his carburator!)

rockonn

Mikey
02-21-2007, 07:58 PM
off topic, but:

you have to do is make a new crossmember for tranny

or make it easy and just drill some new holes in the stock one (from what I've read on the subject.)