PDA

View Full Version : Axles?

xxlf250
02-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Calmini or Trail Tough? Anyone have them, any problems, are they worth it? Who's are better? I need to rebuild my front axle and I want to run a limited slip up front, so I wana try and do it all at once...do these heavy duty axles offered by these guy solve problems?
And Its not a toy axle debate, I have beadlocks for my zuk axles and havent broke so new wheels and toy axles and steering etc,etc, are not in my buget....but the front is open and I have bir-cups up front and I do use my zuk, so any info would be helpful. Thanks
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d87/xxlf250/saltonsea011.jpg

holeshot
02-05-2006, 11:40 PM
I broke Calmini HD rear axles, Never ran there HD front axles. I broke two of TT Big suzanna front axle shafts. Did all of this while on 34'' LTBs.
Never ran TT double tough axles front axles so cant say about them. But for my money I wouldnt waste any more of it on Sammy axles. I know thats not what you want to here But its what I fell is the truth.

Buy the way does your front brake line double as your limit strap? LOL :)

xxlf250
02-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Dosent everybodys, that not what brake lines are for toast

purevil71
02-06-2006, 12:58 PM
I had a set of the Newfields in my sami before I swapped in my Toys.
I was running 33x13.5x15 Swamper LTB's with a Loc-Rite in the front and managed to twist the splines on the Long Side axle. Birfs however are fine.

rockrat
02-06-2006, 01:41 PM
depending on how you drive you could break any axle, I am having a hard time deciding what axles to run at the moment I have stock with 5.38 lockers and 33' tires, I have broken both front shafts and a rear ring gear. I have been looking at the spidertrax axles, but they seem to be the same as the TT axles just a different center section. I have a set of waggy 44s, which might be the best bet. My friends run toy axles on there trucks with limited breakage and the instal is pretty common, I would say (easy) but nothing ever is.

xxlf250
02-06-2006, 03:35 PM
well.... Iam still confused I runnin 33 boggers and 5.13's and 4.1 in the t-case and no problems yet, just oil leaking and old bearings. Dose the limited slip up front cause as much stress as a locker?
Would that limit sum of the breakage?

Billjohn
02-06-2006, 04:43 PM
...limit sum of the breakage?

It helps a bit because it's not as 'solid' of a connection. It can slip a little without breaking. But there is something here that many folks ignore...

The best way to limit your breakage is to know your vehicle and its limits. I know folks that have run 35's for the last few years (with stock axles) and very little breakage. I also know a few guys that would break a dana 60 if they had half a chance.
The attitude of 'When in doubt - Power out' will hurt the wallet every time. Because once the axles are stronger than the engine/tranny/tcase, then the breakage goes up the line to the more expensive parts. Ever seen a crank snap? It happens.:shocked!:

Ruttdigger
02-06-2006, 04:48 PM
I would say gearing helps alot on the breakage front but Billjohn is right. Bigger the tires and beeifer the axles... what next is the weak link... hopefully just a shaft and not the engine.

Sally
02-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Because once the axles are stronger than the engine/tranny/tcase, then the breakage goes up the line to the more expensive parts.
thispicis

I know you have some, lets see what happens if your axles are too strong.

Billjohn
02-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Like this?
http://www.billjohn.com/destruction/images/strippedtcasegears.jpg

Ruttdigger
02-07-2006, 10:41 AM
ohhhh... that looks bad.

purevil71
02-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Like this?
http://www.billjohn.com/destruction/images/strippedtcasegears.jpg

NICE!!!