PDA

View Full Version : timing cover gasket

BOFF
01-31-2007, 09:13 PM
Been waiting on the new timing cover to get here to put the Zebra back together. It finally arrived, but no gasket. I figured the gasket would be with the new cover, but I'm wrong. Does the gasket have to be purchased as a factory part, or does an automotive parts store carry it?

zukking01
01-31-2007, 09:36 PM
I think you can get it at any parts store or maybe reuse the old one or it is is a STEALership part then try using some RTV gasket maker. The tming cover just keeps out debrie and moisture. It dosent hold any fluids so it will be ok.

madzukr
02-01-2007, 12:40 AM
they are sold seperately.:-(
you should beable to get one where you got the cover from.
not sure if you can get it from local parts store,if not you can get one from trail tough or hawk suzuki.bigok

fuctzookis.a.
02-01-2007, 12:04 PM
why wouldnt the gasket be included? thats lame.

zukking01
02-01-2007, 10:12 PM
why wouldnt the gasket be included? thats lame.

Anything to screw you out of more money.

zukinoobi
02-02-2007, 11:26 PM
I've seen some covers on ebay that had the gasket included - OEM parts.
I got one when I bought a gasket set for mine- maybe it was a set for the dustcover or cam seal set? It's just a felt strip, maybe 3/16x1/4?

Anyway, the gasket is just a dust gasket, no liquids, or pressures involved. You might be able to get by without the gasket installed - I've even seen zuks being operated without the front dustcover - but I think it's courting disaster. Where I operate there's a lot of twigs and limbs. Sometimes they make it into the engine bay. I can see where a limb might find its way between the belt and the gear, resulting in a thrown belt, or worse.

popcornn