PDA

View Full Version : yj spring setup w/ toy axles

Rilsy
02-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Im in the middle of setting up my front end with a toy axle and yj springs...
I will be using Sky's missing link front shackles and i need to figure out how im going to align the front springs with the wider toy spring pads ( without extending the frame). The first option would be to cut off the driver side spring pad and bring it in a little so the springs would line up but the axle would be offset.. Second way would be to outboard the shackle mounts or shim the shackles. Im not really sure how to shim them i just heard that u could do that somewhere... What do u guys think?

Itsmejoe231
02-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Cut the pads off the the toyota axles and weld on new matching the sami spring width.

bmp
02-05-2006, 11:12 PM
I don't have yota axles but I think that I would come in equal distance on both side and weld on new perches. I would also weld them so that they had the same pinion angle as it was stock so that the steering would work properly. But that advise is worth what I'm charging you for it!!

OKIE ZUK
02-06-2006, 11:12 PM
Outboard the spring mounts 1/2" per side.:mrgreen:

Rilsy
02-06-2006, 11:32 PM
Cut the pads off the the toyota axles and weld on new matching the sami spring width.

well i considered doing this but u can only cut the driver side pad since the passenger side pad is right up agianst the pumpkin. Has anyone ever shimmed the driver shackles mounts out... I called Sky manufacturing today and that is what they recomended. Im going to hang the leafsprings on both sides tomoro and bolt the axle down on the pass side to really get an idea of how much i need to shim(or cut and move)... I just got the yj kit from Sky, very nice work. Ill post pics when all together.

purevil71
02-07-2006, 02:27 PM
I cut my Toy perches off and put new ones on and matched them up to the sami springs. I'm not however running YJ's, I'm just running RUF & CJ's out back.

Sally
02-07-2006, 02:55 PM
I cut my Toy perches off and put new ones on and matched them up to the sami springs. I'm not however running YJ's, I'm just running RUF & CJ's out back.

Are you still gonna run those goofy leafs with the toys?
think thats what they are called:confused:

Kris K
02-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Outboard the spring mounts 1/2" per side.:mrgreen:

This is what i'm planning on doing. It dosen't sound to hard?

txzuk1988
02-07-2006, 10:49 PM
GIT R DONE!!!! sounds simple to me

germ
02-08-2006, 02:55 AM
Doesn't someone make a shackle to outboard your leafs???

purevil71
02-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Are you still gonna run those goofy leafs with the toys?
think thats what they are called:confused:

Yup....cheep flex and they work really well.

Rilsy
02-08-2006, 11:52 PM
well i setup my front end and after looking at it for a while i decided to extend the driver side springpad toward the third member. This allowed the shackles to stay in line with eachother. this was a quick fix to get the front end aligned and im really happy on how it turned out. I have to say im really impressed with Sky's yj shackle kit.. the front end pins so when u are drivin around town the missing link doesnt open and close. Ill post pics soon.

holeshot
02-09-2006, 01:24 AM
How could the missing link shackle open while driving around town?? Big speed bump??

I think the pin is to keep the shackles from unloading on steep climbs. If there used in the front.

Rilsy
02-12-2006, 06:43 PM
How could the missing link shackle open while driving around town?? Big speed bump??

I think the pin is to keep the shackles from unloading on steep climbs. If there used in the front.

This is true... ive never used a missing link before, im just going by what ive heard.
Here are some pics of the extended spring pad, I found this to be a simple solution to mount the wider toy axle.
To make sure everything was perfectly flat i used a magnet, tacked in it place, and then finished the weld.(welding was done by autoshop teacher):mrgreen:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/rilsy/pad1.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/rilsy/pad2.jpg
Getting ready for paint.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/rilsy/pad3.jpg

holeshot
02-13-2006, 12:48 AM
I think your teacher needs to go back to school.

With that wide spring pad how are you going to get the u-bolts around the pads.

Just my .02, but I would cut all that back off and start over with one pad correctly positioned.

Please dont take offense to my coments, just tring to help ya out.

Rilsy
02-13-2006, 10:59 PM
the u-bolt problem was easily fixed by drilling holes through the original spring pad. this method worked for me because i didnt have an extra spring pad. I dont really see the difference either way :confused: . This just seemed to be the quickest.