PDA

View Full Version : What do I look for???

bobalob
02-05-2006, 05:50 PM
My girl wants help looking for a small economical 4x4(unlike my 8mpg of super 79 K5:shocked!: ) that is also trail capable. I suggested a zuk but I have never even been in one much less kicked the tires or looked under the hood. the ad I am currently looking at is "87 samurai VWdiesel 28mpg, lockers, 5.38 gears, 32 inch superswampers, rollcage, hardtop, runs/looks good $2600" is this a common motor swap, will this gear+tire combo do alright on the highway, what q's do I ask, common probs to look for, what is a reasonable price? Any info advice would be much appreciated.

muskyslayr
02-05-2006, 06:52 PM
Is that the green one on ebay? Dang nice lookin Zuk. I don't know that much about the deisel conversion but I know it's a fairly popular setup. And, depending on the installation you can't beat German engineering. IMHO of course...ha ha

zukking01
02-05-2006, 07:24 PM
I know that the diesel conversion is good. I know there is a 1.9 and might be a 1.6 diesel. Find out engine size and if it turbo. I think they all are but not sure. Find out who makes the kit and check the site for the price of the kit. Find out who did the conversion. If the current owner did it. Original miles on zuk and on the vw engine Find out what lift, axles, springs, anything you can. Post any info you find out about the rig so we can help you out. Right now from what I know $2600 sounds really good for the entire vehicle since gears and lockers can run you up to $800 alone. If the gearing is 5.38 with 32" that puts you at 82.1% stock gear ratio (100 Miles=82.1miles) That would be really good as far as zuks go for highway and being a vw engine it will be able to get the highway speeds fairly fast. This is my opinion that the zuk would be a good buy.

Sally
02-05-2006, 07:25 PM
This is not a good truck for your girl unless she want's to be a rockcrawler.
Save $1500 and buy a little tracker they even come in automatics if she can't drive a stick. Has she driven a locked vehicle on the road before? With lockers front and rear there will be some funky steering especially in the snow. Also I don't see Power steering. I hope she has popye arms or she won't turn those 32's side to side.

Itsmejoe231
02-05-2006, 07:39 PM
That is a terible deal. Just let me know where it is and I'll take it off your hands.:mrgreen:

Just kidding. From what you have discribed it sounds good for an offroad vehicle and could be a a very nice daily driver. A locker takes some getting used to driving, especially in snow or ice. Just take it easy going around corners or you could loose traction.

purevil71
02-06-2006, 02:06 PM
I would tend to shy away from an already built rig for a first rig, but thats just personal taste. Me personally, I'd rather see you all get a nice stock truck, then build it up a little at a time until she gets used to it. Someone mentioned buying a Trac/kick and that would be an excellent choice in my book. P/S and A/C! Cuz we all know how hot and uncomfortable it can get on the trail! And if Mommy isn't happy, ain't NOBODY happy...lol

But as far as your question goes, yea, that sounds like a decent deal. That motor is going to have a lot of low end grunt that thats what you want for off-roding. And it sounds like it set up well already.

DesertZuki
02-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Ditto what Sally said unless she is more into the trails than she is into driving around town.

txzuk1988
02-06-2006, 10:38 PM
ok "thats a smokin deal!"rockonn If everything works I would part with the cash in a second.....worst case senario is doing something with the front locker....and possibly a powersteering conversion. Pumpin stereo and of you go, fun mall crawler

bobalob
02-07-2006, 08:38 AM
she definately prefers stick and we don't see much snow/ice here but my K5 is locked f/r and it is not to bad, the non ps may need to be addressed but couldn't I just pull a pump and box off a similar or newer ride? She just wants to commute with 4wdrive but I want it to be decently capable to keep up with me offroad and also fun for me to play with when she will let me:mrgreen: .

blakroze zuki
02-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Being a female on this board I figured I would put my 2 cents worth. Driving with lockers suck at times. It can be done and if she does not need to be a speedy then she will be good. I have driven mine stock for many miles once and really do not want to do it again. So if there is many miles to drive in one day will not be the best feeling of a drive. But it is really nice to have a rig that can do things that men do :). I really enjoy mine, but I do not know think I would want it for a daily driver the way it is now. Stock is one thing, but once there is other things added it could be a very long drive anywhere.