PDA

View Full Version : Tracker Engine??

Lyle_21
01-29-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm fixen to start an engine swap from a tracker over in my 1987 samurai! I would like to use the automatic transmission from the tracker> I have both complete vehicles. Would this work? also how much trouble would it be to swap the power steering over ??

jbzukin
01-29-2007, 06:58 PM
all these swaps have been done before and it's not as hard as you would think. is the tracker a 2wd?
there is a thread here about a power steering swap and what you need to do. just do a search on power steering swap and you will find a ton of info.

Lyle_21
01-30-2007, 09:09 AM
no, its 4wd.

TEXCRAWLER
01-30-2007, 11:27 AM
You can use the complete power steering from the tracker to the Samurai. The Tracker PS box goes right back into the place where you take out the manuel Samurai Box and you will redrill 2 of the holes. TrailTough 541-734-0883 sells a backet that will lift the tracker PS pump up out of the way of the new box.

Lyle_21
01-30-2007, 12:39 PM
wats the deal w/ having to run a body lift? it that for the intake or is it something else??

zukking01
01-31-2007, 06:31 PM
wats the deal w/ having to run a body lift? it that for the intake or is it something else??

Its for the intake. there is a way to solve it and it is to use different motor mounts. I think they are dodge 318 but not sure. They are supposed to lower the engine so the hood clears.

jbzukin
01-31-2007, 06:51 PM
I can see the reason for the body lift. my air cleaner hits my hood on my 1.6 swap. everything else clears ok though.
going to cut my hood so the air cleaner has more space and cover it with a faux hood scoop, when i find one that will look half decent.
since the donor truck is a 4x4 you will not be able to use the auto unless you mod the tracker t-case to make a kicker setup like the ones from OTT industries, Scott at Rock4x is also making a version of this system.

Lyle_21
01-31-2007, 09:27 PM
Sorry it is 2wd. My dad picked it up for me and I havent actually seen it yet and I was thinking it was 4wd but it isnt so will the a/t work ok?

zukking01
01-31-2007, 09:34 PM
The 2wd trans will work great. If it is a manual it is stronger and dosent require a kit but if it is an auto you scored. The 1.6 with auto trans is a great setup. Do you know if the engine is a 8valve or a 16?

You will prabably want to use the 1.6 engine and trans with the stock auto shifter and the suel injection setup since you can take your time and get it right.

I made my own P/S bracket buy mappng the old box on cardboard and then putting the new box on the cardboard and then I made the bracket. I cut it out and welded it up and worked great. I even made the pump bracket so it was cheap and effective.

Lyle_21
02-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Thank you all for your help! Here it goes now, What are my possible options for the efi tracker motor and not using a body lift?? also I can't decide on the auto tranny aor my zuk 5 speed. I want the auto but the 5 spd would mean more power I think.

Lil Red
02-05-2007, 01:09 PM
I think if you don't lift it, you will need to modify the oil pan / pickup tube.

sledhead004
02-05-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm in the middle of doing a 1.6 sidekick swap and i talked to the guy at petroworks, he told me you need a lift,not sure if you need a body lift ,but he said you need at least 2 inches.They did a sammy with a two inch lift and modified the pan and he said it barely clears.They will modify your pan for you, but it like $150,so put that money towards your lift.Does anyone know if you really have to use a body lift?

felixnstiches
02-06-2007, 02:52 AM
know what i forsee in your future, that is if you don't want to spend money.... alot of :happy a little :bang and a hell alot of hacck ....:dance:

Lav25
02-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Power Steering setup, Petroworks makes the only bracket "the wedge" to use the Tracker Gear box on the frame of the samurai with no drilling or welding. And keeps perfect alignment of the steering shaft. They also have a decent PS pump plate that will work on 1.6 16v, 8v and 1.3.

As for the kit again Petroworks makes the best engine swap kit that drops the motor down into the engine bay nicely to clear the hood.

As for the reason for the lift the tracker oil pan is deeper and hangs down lower. On a non lifted ZUK the pan used is a modified 1.3 pan and 1.6 pickup tube on non lifted cars, this helps to allow clearance for the front diff.

Lyle_21
02-08-2007, 08:48 AM
I actually just lifted my zuk w/ yj springs so its plenty high enough. I also am thinking of using the auto. tranny out of the tracker so what all would I need then?? I'm also gonna use the efi from the 1.6 so I was wondering what I need to do as far as fuel setup goes, such as the fuel pump or anything??

Lyle_21
02-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Also. I am going to use a power steering setup and I already have the tracker power steering pump and everything but I've read bad things on them. I'm only running 33's but its locked in the front so what do I need to do on all this? And I thank all of ya'll for keeping your patience with such ignorant questions such as mine. THanx!!!

thezukster
10-07-2007, 07:58 PM
If you drop the engine with mounts what happens to the fan and shroud??

scrubb
10-08-2007, 07:36 AM
you will need the fuel pump ,filter and line from the tracker there is a spot on the sammy gas tank for the pump you just need to cut the hole. I used RRO mounts and my fan is perfect but I also have a body lift. If you don't go that route you can always use an electric fan.

grw
10-08-2007, 07:50 AM
My 16V swap has tappered shims under the front clip only.
It is just to clear the intake.
I have seen people cut holes in there hoods (not what I would want to do).
With a lift it should only take lower motor mounts or body lift (or tappered shims).

skyman
10-10-2007, 12:25 AM
WWill the 318 mounts also lower a sammy engine?

If so It would be a great mod for driveline angles, and lower Center of gravity..

If it does work for the 1.3 Samurai engine can anyone guive us some part numbers, or maybe years they used those mounts on the 318?

I have a broken motor mount and while I am at replacing it I might as well lower CG and drive line angles. Thanks in advance.. hope I didn't hi-Jack too much. He probably needs the part numbers too.

thezukster
10-10-2007, 09:42 AM
What year is your Tracker motor?? I did the same thing and it has been a dissaster so far.