PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 2wd tranny

sledhead004
01-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Getting ready to do my engine swap and I've read you can use the 1.6 2wd tranny.I was wondering what mods need to be done to complete this.I think I read you need to shorten the intermediate shaft.Does anyone know how to do this?

Soonerzuk
01-29-2007, 09:55 PM
I havent done this swap yet but I have researched it. You will need to widen the tranny tunnel because the 1.6 tranny is wider than the stock tranny. Ths can be done with a scissor jack or something similar. you will also need to make a shorter intermediate shaft using the slip yoke off the 1.6 tranny rear shaft and the flange off of the stock intermediate shaft that bolts to the samurai t-case. like this:

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?action=dlattach;topic=34059.0;attach=33184 ;image

There's someone over on Zuwharri names Bell that did this same swap. Thats where I got the pic. here's a link to it:

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,34059.0.html

hope that helps:happy

Itsmejoe231
01-29-2007, 11:40 PM
I did this swap and did not touch the tranny tunnel. It is a tight fit but it went in without trouble. You will have to shorten the intermediate shaft like what Soonerzuk said. the reason for using the yolk from the 1.6 tranny whem making up the intermediate shaft is cause the sami yolk will not work with 1.6 tranny seal and you will leak out all the gear oil from the tranny.

You will also have to make a new cross member for the tranny when you get it in there. Make sure you stay up tight against the bottom of the floor pan, if not your front d-shaft will rub.

Soonerzuk
01-29-2007, 11:52 PM
thanks for the info Joe. I didnt know it would fit up there without modifing the tunnel. that good to know:dance:

sledhead004
01-30-2007, 10:08 AM
Hey thanks alot guys i think I'll give it trybigok,I just went and dug the sidekick out of the snow today.It turns out it is 1994 so I'm sure it is a 8 valve because it is a two door.How do you tell if it is a 16valve without pulling the motor apart?Also should I send the wiring harness off or is it not to bad?

Mikey
02-14-2007, 08:00 PM
are the manuals and 3sp autos the same length?

zorproducts
02-14-2007, 09:17 PM
NO the 3spd is the shortest of all the kick trannys.
A 16 valve usually says it is on the cast valve cover but a quick way to tell is does it have cast intake runners and 4 electronic injectors? A 16 v must have the computer and harness to run properly.