PDA

View Full Version : Important info

zukinut
01-21-2007, 08:43 AM
As yall know i was havin some weird cooling system problems. Turns out the tstat i put in 4 years ago had gone bad. Took it out and replaced it, but it wasnt workin correctly either. Did all kinds of tests and had it at a friends shop yesterday to install a new tstat.

He came over and said, that will never work. Turns out that the flange on the new replacement tstats (all brands were tried and turned out all were the same) is too small and doesnt cover the entire hole in the intake. When the pressure builds its able to cock sideways and allow pressure to escape into the top hose that way, instead of thru the tstat. I remembered a rebuild kit i had a few years ago having a rubber o-ring style gasket for the tstat. Called all the local parts stores and nobody showed that oring, all the showed was the paper gasket. Went down to another friends parts store and started goin thru some tstat oring gaskets. Felpro part #35278 is a perfect fit for the tstat and the step down in the housing. I didnt even have to usee the paper gasket. Best of all, my cooling problem is now solved.

This may be old news to some but i figured i would post it up in hopes that someday somebody will be able to save thereselves some aggravation by seeing this post.

Will

Itsmejoe231
01-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Glad you found what was wrong!!

Bass Man
01-21-2007, 11:45 AM
For us newbies... Tstat means Thermostat.

DesertZuki
01-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Good info! Thank you for sharing!
bigok

zukinut
01-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Not a problem, man. I try to help as much as possible. I hate learnin things the hard way if i dont have too.

Will