PDA

View Full Version : 1.6L MFI 16v runs cold - even with new stat

Blueballs
01-09-2007, 02:06 AM
motor runs cold.... needle about 10 o'clock position....

replaced the thermostat, no change.... wtf???

should I replace the thermostat again (my other rig had a bad 'new' stat but how likely is this)

please comment help !!!!

where should the needle be in a good running sidekick

THANKS !!!!!!!

hillbilly
01-09-2007, 02:44 AM
Is your gauge workin for sure?More info please.bigok

suzota
01-09-2007, 04:53 AM
on both mine and a mates lwb 16v the temp needle never gets above the cool mark.
last time my temp guage got to the normal section the engine blew.:funny:

i think its just normal on the lwb to run cool.

Blueballs
01-09-2007, 11:49 AM
I have no reason to believe the gauge is 'incorrect'....
The needle does appear to move properly and as a function of run-time (typical warmup)

Two resons I'm concerned:
1. the needle seems quite low during full warmup
2. the heater only blows luke-warm air.... i would expect it to be warmer than it is... my samurai heater works better than this one...

I would hate to turn this into a research project if not needed..

Thanks!
Jason

ack
01-14-2007, 01:28 PM
I have a similar problem with my 16 valve 4-door. The gage reads barely above the first line on the face. The heat blows wicked-hot though - it keeps the Pizza Hut pizzas nice and warm while on their way to the customer hotbounce .

I'm thinking it's the continuous sub-freezing weather in my area. On warmer days, it runs consistantly at the 11 o'clock position and on hot summer days a little past straight up.

Maybe it's a bit of debris buildup on the the heater core - although this is usually a problem found in a Samurai - or something in the core itself or the linkage... Of course, you didn't want to hear that...