PDA

View Full Version : need some opinions

DRAGGINZUZU
01-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Ok what would you guys do..I have a 1.6 swap with the 87 1.3 intake and carb on it. My carb needs rebuilding and i dont want to do it,I bought a rebuild kit and started taking it apart but just got fustrated and quit, I can
A: Get it rebuilt locally for 159$ ..is it worth it
B: save my money, get a Weber, Florida is pretty much flat so I'm not worried about it flooding on inclines
C: Put the FI manifold that came with the 91 1.6 tracker motor.. I'm not sure it works either and then I'll have to try to wire it and find a computer??
D: Try to find a 87 corolla carb, or a pony??
E: Is there anymore options?
Tony

hillbilly
01-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Go fuel inj.Hit the local salvage place I bet you can get every thing you need for less than the carb rebuild.Their a people on the ZK that have done the wiring, I'm sure they would talk you through it.You would need the up grade your fuel pump and a few other things.But no pain, no gain!Once it's done you would love it!:happy

DRAGGINZUZU
01-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Ok fuel injection from a 8v tracker? intake and all then swap in the harness and computer?

hillbilly
01-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Ok fuel injection from a 8v tracker? intake and all then swap in the harness and computer?
Yup.And many on this site have done it.So I'm sure someone will talk you though it.Remember you also need elc. fuel pump for the fuel inj. There was just a thread on what pump to use ect.You can do it!:dance: In the end you will be way happy going fuel inj!bigok

WVhillbilly
01-08-2007, 09:34 PM
I'd go FI too and will on mine sometime.

Itsmejoe231
01-08-2007, 09:49 PM
3 votes for FI

I can walk you through it if needed.

hillbilly
01-08-2007, 09:53 PM
I just knew Joe would help you out!Thanks Joe!:happy

JERMY ALLEN
01-08-2007, 10:12 PM
fi its easy and a lot less trouble once done. i can help u walk through it

DRAGGINZUZU
01-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Ok I guess I need to look for FI . I didnt want to wait so I ordered a 34 weber last night. I'll try that , but I'll also keep looking and aquiring the parts for the fuel injection, i can always sell the weber later I guess. Any year tracker I need to look for or stay away from. theres a couple in the Upullit yard i go to , I guess i can grab the whole shebang from one truck, Do I need to get the harness also? Ill just get everything from the head to the intake.

felixnstiches
01-09-2007, 10:34 AM
yea you would need the engine compartment wireing harness, but i'm sure other people will tell you more

hillbilly
01-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Get the whole harness+computer.To get every thing you need pull out the dash I think?Joe?Help here please!

WVhillbilly
01-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Whole harness and the puter get all the wiring you can you can always toss what you don't need. I have never done the FI conversion on a Zuk but I have done older Ford trucks, some Mustangs (late 60s) a couple mid 50s Chevys, well you get it. Chevy TPI is a bit more complicated than a 1.6 I'm sure.

Itsmejoe231
01-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Get the whole harness+computer.To get every thing you need pull out the dash I think?Joe?Help here please!

It makes it easier if you remove the dash but it is not hard to do.

Get to the ECM first and start at both plugs and work your way out from there. Follow the harness out to plugs and unplug them. Once you have them all unplugged pull the harness through the fire wall until you have it all. The ECM is on the driver side and there are 2 relays in the same area. you will need those. Follow the harness out to the engine compartment. it goes through the fire wall in 2 places one on the driver side and through the passenger side as well. I think there is a plug you can take apart on one side to help out. All these will end up at all the sensors and TBI controls. Get all the sensors with the intake.

Also get the map sensor that is on the firewall on the passenger side under the hood and get the electronic ignition (coil and distributer) as well if you already dont have it for the 1.6.

There will be a couple of wires that go to the fuel pump in the gas tank. Just cut it. I think it is pink with blue tracer or orange. It will be easy to identify cause it will be off of one of the relays previous mentioned. there are also a couple of wires going to the tranny. You will have to unplug those.

Expect to spend about a half day at the junk yard. To speed things up you can cut the grounds and add wire connectors to them later if you want.

DRAGGINZUZU
01-10-2007, 11:57 AM
so it dosent matter on the yearof the tracker.. I know it will take a while. I just did it for the 1.3 stuff , I already have the 1.6 so I went out and got the 1.3 intake , carb, full wiring harnes under dash and all , and now im gonna do it again. Im gonna try the weber first and get it running so I can finish all the other stuff, bumpers, yota axles,35's ...Im beginging to think this will never end =)
Tony

scoobystu
01-10-2007, 04:22 PM
put an SU carb on it . fantastic

Itsmejoe231
01-10-2007, 09:35 PM
so it dosent matter on the yearof the tracker.. I know it will take a while. I just did it for the 1.3 stuff , I already have the 1.6 so I went out and got the 1.3 intake , carb, full wiring harnes under dash and all , and now im gonna do it again. Im gonna try the weber first and get it running so I can finish all the other stuff, bumpers, yota axles,35's ...Im beginging to think this will never end =)
Tony

As long as it is from a 1.6 tracker it should be the same.