PDA

View Full Version : clutch exchange

Tough Guy
12-14-2006, 09:59 AM
i have a 1987 suzuki hard top, and my clutch went out so now i have to change it. i just dont know the exact process. if any one could help.
thanks,
carbajal Customs

suzota
12-14-2006, 10:06 AM
if its a sammy i'd take the gearbox out to do the job, but if its a kick, take the engine out.
kick gearboxes are blooming heavy,:funny:

Tough Guy
12-14-2006, 11:27 AM
i think it would be worse taking the engine out just for a clutch job. i would have to deal with all those hoses and crap. vacum hoses wires etc. i think it would be better to just dropp the tranny, but the thing is thre might be something i have to do and i dont know it, i need to find out the torque specs on the clutch too i havent gotten that. all i need to do is get to work :)

zukking01
12-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Clutch removal on a 87 samurai....

1-Mark and remove the front, rear, and intermediate driveshafts.
2-Remove the transfer case. Remove the 4wd light indicator plug.
3-Remove the transmission. Remove the reverse light indicator plug.
You need to remove started when removing the transmission. The transmission comes out like a puzzle piece. Sometimes it comes out easy and sometimes I have turned it 90* and then removed.

One this is done you will have access to the clutch. Remove the pressure plate and then let the clutch plate fall out. Pull the pilot bearing in the fly wheel. Removed the flywheel to do this. Press the new pilot bearing in and install flywheel. While it is out you might want to get it resurfaced FYI. Also Replace the throughout bearing in the transmission. Cant drecribe but is pretty self explained. Pay attention when you remove the old. Put the clutch plate in the pressure plate and put the alignment tool with it and slide it on the flywheel. Bolt the pressure plate on and remove the alignment tool. Reinstall using steps 1-3 backwards. Hope this helps.

mudnmyvayne
12-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Thats better than any Haynes or Chiltons manual will describe the process.bigok

SpaCityZuki
12-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Thats better than any Haynes or Chiltons manual will describe the process.bigok

Excellent!!bigok

Tough Guy
12-15-2006, 06:49 PM
thanks i have to get going on it now. it does sound simple but i just need to do it. thanks i got a better understanding of the process. ill let you guys know if i have any questions.
carbajal Customs
rockonn

hardtopzuke
01-06-2007, 11:19 PM
i would suggest a chiltons repair manual. they help alot. i would say they are well worth the $10-$20 u pay for them. They have answered ne question ive had so far.

zukidave
01-07-2007, 08:37 PM
A trick I found that help's getting it out is to cut about 1/2" off the front of the cross member just in front of the tranny mount.That help's to snake the tranny out.The last two I've done I just stuffed the tranny back an left it in the truck.

zukinut
01-07-2007, 10:04 PM
The way to be done in 45 minutes.

Take front driveshaft out, take intermediate shaft out, take off curved bar thing. Unhook clutch cable linkage, take off starter, take off dust shield (if its still there) put tranny in neutral and take shifter out, unbolt tranny from motor, unbolt tranny mounts at rear crossmember,. Loosen drivers side motor mount, jack motor up a few inches, drop tranny.

Reverse the steps and adjust the clutch, ack's faq has a good illustration on the procedure for that.

Ive changed my clutch in a campground in the rain and it only took 45 minutes and i was done and driving it again.

I would highly suggest having the flywheel resurface and installing a new pilot bearing. And i have yet to kill my petroworks hiperformance clutch after 2 years. Before that i was a clutch a year.

I like the idea of jus sliding the tranny back, hell it would take even less time if you did it that way.

Just noticed that this was posted on dec. 15. My help is prolly WAYYYY late.

Bass Man
01-14-2007, 04:04 AM
We need to burn our clutch in the 87, cuz we have a lifetime warrenty for it and it is slipping (after about 3 years + rubicon...) and my 88 needs a throwout bearing BADLY... but the clutch is fine... lol.

I could describe the steps, but someone else has done that...:angry:

At www.partsamerica.com (whatever it is for you... here it is Shucks.) Sells the clutches, and if you resurface the flywheel, the clutch has a lifetime warrenty...

zukidave
01-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Ya if you slide it back it will wedge between the cross member an floor pan an hang there giving enough room to do the clutch.