PDA

View Full Version : 2.0L swap

iicapytan
11-23-2006, 03:45 AM
I'm new to the forum so have mercy on me. I aquired a '99 Chevy Tracker 2.0l 2wd automatic with intentions of swaping my '87 Sami 1.3l. Adapter kit I found is nice but pricey. Is there another way to make the conversion? Use the Tracker tranny? I have a friend that will help me after he completes his 4.3 conversion.

zukking01
11-23-2006, 08:07 AM
I'm new to the forum so have mercy on me.
No flaming here. We are all respectful and will help you no matter how "newbie" the question is. :welcome: Go for the auto tracker tranny. Those 2 wheel auto's are like gold. Hard to find. It will be stronger and will mate right up so you dont have to use the adapter ring.

Itsmejoe231
11-23-2006, 08:48 AM
That is a great score!!

Welcome to the site!! No one will flame you, the way I see it everyone had to ask a question at one time or another, they were not born with all the knowledge already. :mrgreen:

hillbilly
11-23-2006, 09:38 AM
ah come on! :jumping: With a name like, that he looks like he's from pirate!:shocked!: So lets fireboun Him! NOT!Good score on the trans! Did you want to sell it?:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: Had to ask!:dance:P.S. Joe gold is out! now it's platinum!

Itsmejoe231
11-23-2006, 03:09 PM
P.S. Joe gold is out! now it's platinum!

:confused:

zukking01
11-23-2006, 04:45 PM
:confused:

I think that was directed to me!?

iicapytan
11-23-2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Is there any info out there that will guide me through the 2.0 conversion using the auto tranny? I'm in the homework stage of the project. I hope to start in the spring.

WVhillbilly
11-25-2006, 09:07 AM
I have never even seen a 2WD Tracker. They don't sell stuff like that here, You rarely even see a 2WD pick up.

Rowdy
11-26-2006, 01:40 PM
ICap,

You going to put this 2.0L and tranny in your Zuk, but is your zuki a 4X4 or 4X2???

Itsmejoe231
11-26-2006, 09:39 PM
I'm not sure if there is any "goto" info on the web for the 2.0 swap. I would think it will be very simular for the 1.6 8v and 16v swap.

Get you a good wiring diagram to guide you through the harness.
Basically keep all the ECM wiring and what it goes to. You will have to tie into the starter signal wire and ingition power....

You will have to deal with the fuel system. Either use the fuel pump from the donor vehicle or get one that matches the specs of it.

As far as fitting the 2.0 under the hood, that can be done through trial and error and making mounts. You will most likely have to take out the tranny tunnel and re-skin it later. You will probably have to move the t-case back or shorten the intermediate shaft or both.

On the 1.6 swap we can use the 1.3 radiator but not sure on the 2.0. You might want to keep the donor rad too just in case.

These are just a few things to consider.....

TatorZuk
11-26-2006, 11:26 PM
Is there any info out there that will guide me through the 2.0 conversion using the auto tranny?

This won't guide you through the auto trans thing...but it's still a good read on your engine swap...

http://members.cox.net/aftermarket4x4/2liter.html

iicapytan
11-27-2006, 04:20 AM
The site is a great help. Thanks. The pieces of the puzzle are coming together. I think what I need to do is get started and see where it leads me. Trail T has a kit to mate the stock tranny and has other parts supporting the engine conversion for $1300. I think with the donor parts and using the 2.0l auto transmission I should save some money. Question is the transfer case. What good is a samurai without 4wd? Do they make a transfer case for the '99 tracker auto? Wait, that means spending money. What about adapting the 1.3l transfer case?

dwkremer
11-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Call Scott at rock4xfabrication for the adapter for the engine.

I have a 2.0 tracker 2wd tranny with 250 miles on it if someone is interested in buying it. I am not sure if it will work in a sammy without extending the wheelbase because the tranny is so long. I was going to try to use it in mine but TT told me it was not a good idea de to the length of the tranny.

Since toy trannys are cheap I am going that route.

iicapytan
11-29-2006, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the info. Good idea about the toy tranny. I might go all toy myself. During the conversion I'll probably run into some problems so I'll keep in touch. Your experince will be invaluable.

WVhillbilly
08-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Dumb question. How hard is it to put a Samurai transfer case in a 5 speed Tracker? Not double cases, just Tracker case out and Sami case in.

meangreen
08-26-2009, 11:23 PM
hey capy, you do relize that the t-case is sepret from the tranny,and 2wd vs. 4wd tranny has no bearing on being a 4x4 when your finished if you can fab new mounts ?

tommbstone
09-03-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm doing the 2.0 with w56 toy 5spd and the double tcase setup from marlin. 5:29 bobby longs Detroit lockers the works. need to be bullet proof. also have the tt slayer kit. I have it all in my barn but the tt wiring kit and paint.. oh and time of course. Freaking 100+ is hard to work in anyway.

But first I need to smog mine to get new pink, registration, and plates. Course I won't be street legal but I need the darn thing back in the dmv system so I can green sticker it later. (course a new pink slip might be handy one day.)