PDA

View Full Version : Sea Foam ??

Okiyota
11-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Does this stuff really work? Anyone have any FIRST HAND experience?

I have a Weber 32/36DGAV on my 1.3 and earlier this week it started running weird. It will not hold an idle, no matter what. I have tried adjusting all of the idle/mixture screws on the carb, no luck. I have replaced the fuel filter and tested the fuel pump, no luck. I have an Air/Fuel Mixture gauge in the Sami and it will not budge off of the "lean" reading. The engine will stay running as long as i am giving it gas, when i let off the gas (to shift or anything) it actually revs higher for a few seconds then drops to zero like i just turned the key off! It started doing it while i was driving to a buddies, i was cruising along just fine, came to a stop light, pushed in the clutch and it died??

The reason i'm asking about the sea foam is because i pulled the carb apart yesterday and when i looked at the bottom of one of the floats, there is a small hole in it and little bits and pieces that have deterierated and fallen off are floating around in the bowl. I suspect that a chunk might have been sucked into the idle circuit and is giving me all my problems. Will the Sea Foam help this? Are there any other ways to "flush" it out to see if i'm correct?

Any other ideas besides the idle circuit being clogged are welcomed and appreciated!!

Thanks,
Oki

zukking01
11-19-2006, 11:18 AM
I nkow you are asking about seafoam but if you already have the carb apart clean it up with carb cleaner. Pull the jets out and clean the thing.

Okiyota
11-19-2006, 12:01 PM
I already cleaned it all out with Carb Cleaner, pulled all the jets out, they were not clogged, i could see right through all of them. I was hoping that would have helped so i put it all together and tried running the Sami, still wont idle. Thats why i was thinking something was stuck in the idle circuit part, past the jets.

john1974
11-19-2006, 12:20 PM
this is the second topic on this recently here. I have not used it on my weber yet, but I have used it alot on a stock carb, it does wonders as long as the issue is a gummed up, or dirty issue and not mechanical. always pour some in the carb let it sit a bit.... add some to a couple tanks of gas. and it usually helps take care of the issues. I also spray down all the linkages real good with some type of cleaner. I had to do this on my weber as it started acting funny after a recent wheeling trip... alot of dust and dirt on the linkages.

John

Okiyota
11-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Well i just spent the last few moments trying Sea Foam, no difference. Sami still wont idle. I'm going to try and swap the stock carb back on and see if it runs better.

86badboy
11-19-2006, 04:53 PM
if you have a hole in your float...it wont float, replace it.

change your floats.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also be sure to adjust them correctly.......then check for vaccum leaks.

Okiyota
11-19-2006, 07:08 PM
There is not a hole through the float, the very bottom of one of the floats has some deterieration, its not a hole punched through it. Its more like a dent in the bottom of it.

hillbilly
11-19-2006, 09:58 PM
There is not a hole through the float, the very bottom of one of the floats has some deterieration, its not a hole punched through it. Its more like a dent in the bottom of it.
Easy float check. mic some water nice and hot. Hold the float down in it. If it leaks air its junk!:happy

Okiyota
11-19-2006, 10:35 PM
I have checked for vaccum leaks, cant find any, even had a second and third person look for me to make sure i wasnt missing anything. No one can find out what is going on. The newest theroy is the O2 sensor? It could cause the same symptoms if it were to go bad, and is cheap and easy to replace.

I will try the hot water trick tomorrow if the O2 doesnt help just to rule out the floats (i'm going to order new ones anyways because of the deterieration)

86badboy
11-19-2006, 10:56 PM
O2 sensor no longer does anything when you choose to run a weber...

thats what ive been led to belive anyways

mkyhmltn
11-20-2006, 12:42 AM
To find vacuum leaks take a propane torch and open the valve and pass it over the vacuum lines. If the engine revs up then you found your leak. DO NOT LIGHT THE TORCH. common sense but someone would ask. Also be careful around the air intake as it will do the same thing there.

Okiyota
11-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Spraying carb cleaner at the vaccum lines will find a leak also, but thanks for the tip.

suzota
11-20-2006, 09:57 AM
what is sea foam???????

feel free to flame me, but i have never heard of it before.

hillbilly
11-20-2006, 10:32 AM
what is sea foam???????

feel free to flame me, but i have never heard of it before.
No:onfire: :n00b: s here! Sea foam is an eng additive. It can be run in the fuel, eng. oil or straight into air intake. Its a cleaning agent.Gets rid of gunk,junk,water ect.:happy

suzota
11-20-2006, 11:27 AM
oh a bit like redex then.
add it to your fuel and it cleans the engine out.

got you. ta:happy

Okiyota
11-21-2006, 10:26 AM
So...nothing i do works. The Sami still wont idle. I have pulled all jets out pulled EVERY piece of the carb apart and cleaned everything. I was able to blow carb cleaner and air through the idle circuit and every other part of the carb. I have replaced the fuel filter, tested the fuel pump, put the floats in some warm water...no bubbles and they float just fine, adjusted everything possible to try and re-set the idle.

I talked to Weber this morning and they are going to send me a brand new carb, hopefully that will fix the problem, if not, i guess i have been looking in the wrong place and will start troubleshooting something else.

jbzukin
11-21-2006, 12:19 PM
out of curosity have you checked the timing?

Okiyota
11-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Yep. checked the timing last night, no probs there.

86badboy
11-21-2006, 11:49 PM
how about the diaphram on the side of the carb...

those tend to rot out and leak, causing it to not run correctly

Okiyota
11-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Checked the diaphram, its in perfect shape. The carb is fairly new (less than a year).

Oh well, Weber is sending me a BRAND new one, i put the one in question in the mail this morning sending it back to them. I'm probably going to throw the stock carb back on regardless and run it until my engine swap gets under way... Anyone want to buy a brand new Weber when it gets here?

86badboy
11-23-2006, 03:43 PM
haha

how much?

Okiyota
11-24-2006, 10:48 AM
They are $375 and up new, i'd take $300 and your stock carb. I'll pay shipping on the Weber, you pay shipping on yours?

ack
11-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Before you throw in the towel, email sarge.

morepowr@theramp.net

Also, do a search for weber at Ack's FAQ (see signature).

Marshall
11-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Webers can be bastards! Took me a while to get mine running right. That idle mixture can be tricky to set but once you get it, the engine can idle as low as 400 RPM, at least mine did.

jimmyroyse
11-27-2006, 09:09 AM
still sounds like a vacume leak. You have checked all the lines, how about the intake manifold gasket?

Okiyota
11-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Yeah i have checked all vaccum lines (theres only a few on the webers)

The Weber ran AWESOME, on the road. Off road, i wasnt a fan. I know Sarge can work some magic and there are a few mods you can do to help offroad, but i dont want to mess with it, i have a 22re and Tranny/T-Case from a Toyota that i think i am going to swap here soon.

hillbilly
11-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Yeah i have checked all vaccum lines (theres only a few on the webers)

The Weber ran AWESOME, on the road. Off road, i wasnt a fan. I know Sarge can work some magic and there are a few mods you can do to help offroad, but i dont want to mess with it, i have a 22re and Tranny/T-Case from a Toyota that i think i am going to swap here soon.
Would that make you Okitoyuki?:funny: All in fun dude! yotas got zukis hand down in power.:happy

bigflex
11-28-2006, 12:48 AM
Zero has a weber on one of his sami's and he hated it! until I had it at my place for a few days doing some work on it and decided to tweek the carb a bit. before he couldn't go alot of places on his land without it stalling on him but after I tweeked it out he called me to tell me that it nevered stalled on him! even on some of the steepest stuff out there! I think you should call Sarge like already stated and work out all the bugs! when running right they add much to the perfomance of our weak little motors!:happy

bayouhazard
11-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Found an awesome trick to cleaning carbs. Take that sucker completely apart to the last screw, jet, etc. Put it in the dishwasher with some cascade. It will come out better than new, works like a jet clean like they use for tranny case cleanup. Use the hot dry option to evaporate all the water. When it's done use compressed air to blow through the idle portsbackwards. If you blow in the direction of the fuel flow you will just jam the foreign object deeper in the passage.

zukiWilson
11-30-2006, 12:22 AM
Found an awesome trick to cleaning carbs. Take that sucker completely apart to the last screw, jet, etc. Put it in the dishwasher with some cascade. It will come out better than new, works like a jet clean like they use for tranny case cleanup. Use the hot dry option to evaporate all the water. When it's done use compressed air to blow through the idle portsbackwards. If you blow in the direction of the fuel flow you will just jam the foreign object deeper in the passage.

You must have a nice wife :mrgreen:

How about a solvent bath for a day or two and then blow the carb out?