PDA

View Full Version : ? toy drive shaft on a Zuk

Zee
01-28-2006, 08:07 PM
I remember reading somewhere about using Toy DS on a Zuk,needed to use the large flange off the later model Sammy.
Anyone care to elaborate on this a little.
Got a bud with tons of Toy parts and he will give me all the parts i need.
Thanks,
Z

Itsmejoe231
01-28-2006, 09:39 PM
You can mate the toy ds to the sami with a Rat adaptor and it dont matter what size flange you got.

http://www.rock4xfabrication.com/

http://www.rock4xfabrication.com/images/ratadapter/adapter.gif

You can use the double cardian (dc) front off a toyota on the rear but it still will need to be shortened if you are sock wheelbase. It is not long enough to use on the front of a sami.

Or you can do this Front Driveshaft (http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=167) if you have the parts laying around and then you dont need a rat adapter.

Zee
01-28-2006, 10:48 PM
I'm at 85" WB now.
Thanks for the link on Rock4Xs,i will have to get a set for the rear.
I know i am going to have to fab up one for the front,but what ever i have to use i will need to have 2 of each,trail spares.
So i am trying to be ecomnomical about it,ie cheap.
I have some new shafts from a Blazer which are just laying under the bench,and i have 3 sets of Sammy shafts so i guess i have something to work with.
I like what you did,looks like a viable solution.
Thanks,
Z

Ruttdigger
01-29-2006, 10:21 AM
If you have a large samy DS flange you can turn it and drill new holes in the toyota pinion flange. That is if you have a toyota rear. That is what I did no adapter needed just about 4 drill bits.

purevil71
01-29-2006, 12:08 PM
The '83 and older CV shafts are the correct length for a sami. '84 (NOT 100% on that yer though) and up are too long and will need to be shortened, unless you stretch your wheel base. I have a D-shaft off of a '83 in my sami now, and one off of an '82 in the basement and they both fit perfect with the Rat Adapters.

Zee
01-29-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm just going to build square driveshfts and be done with it.
Seems like the best way to go for the amount of work.
Thanks,
Z

Hardline
01-29-2006, 09:31 PM
If you have the large Zuk flang then all that you have to do is chuck the flanges up in the lathe and turn the ID of the flange out to fit the toy shaft. The bolt holes will be the same. That is what I did to mine. JJ

Zee
01-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Ok,now this sounds easier.
I can get Toy shafts for free,and i have access to a lathe.
But after looking the one we pretzeled today i wonder if they are strong enough.
Thanks for the tip.
Z

Hardline
01-30-2006, 09:24 PM
I used the toy ends and had new shafts built with 2 inch diameter thicker walled tubing. JJ

DRAGGINZUZU
04-16-2007, 11:00 AM
How thick are the rat adpters? Im trying to mock up my rear suspension but dont have the adapters yet,

Tweeder
04-16-2007, 11:02 AM
1/2" thk

zachatola
04-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Ive got a front out of an 85 toy for the rear of my zuk. I thought the 79-85 CVs were all the same length?? Am i going to have to have it cut down??

Rock4xFab
04-16-2007, 12:43 PM
I used the toy ends and had new shafts built with 2 inch diameter thicker walled tubing. JJ

That only works with a NON cv toy shaft. The newer zuk pattern and the 84-85 toyota pinion pattern are the same, but the bore of the zuk needs to opened up. For the cost of maching (if you dont are not capable of it yourself) the adapter is the answer. I recomend NON cv toy shafts for the front and and cv shaft in the rear if you are staying with zuk offset axles. If you use Toy axles then I recommend using NON cv units front and rear, 85 and newer have the most angle up to 42 deg. Toy shafts can be had for as little as $50. to free. As for Trail spares of the adapter you will never need it. I have pics form guys that have lost the entire case and the shafts are still attached via adapters.

DRAGGINZUZU
04-16-2007, 02:01 PM
ok now im confused, I thought I should use the front 85 front DC toyota shaft on the rear, I stretched my wheelbase so I wouldnt have to cut the driveshaft. and I pointed the rear pinion at the transfer case. I left a little room to mount the rat adapter. will this setup work when I can afford the adapter?

jackson
04-16-2007, 03:40 PM
i have a toyota ifs rear which is going in.Scott you are saying you think i should get a non cv shaft after 85?How do i attatch it to the transfer case then cause on your page i thought the adapters dont cover these years.

HardLuk
04-16-2007, 04:10 PM
I recomend NON cv toy shafts for the front and and cv shaft in the rear if you are staying with zuk offset axles. If you use Toy axles then I recommend using NON cv units front and rear, 85 and newer have the most angle up to 42 deg

This recommendation confuses me. I run my stock driveshaft with pinion pointed at t-case and have no noticeable vibrations under accellaration or coasting. I don't have a need for a CV shaft out rear with my Zuk offset axles.

However when I go to the Toy centered diffs I had expected to use the 1980 front DC driveshaft out back with pinion pointed at the t-case just the same as is now, but this is NOT what you recommend. I wonder what makes you think it would be better to run a conventional driveshaft in the rear with Toys under my zuk. You mentioned something like the newer Toy's rear driveshaft cut down which has high angle capabilities.

-Nate-
:suzuki:

popcornn

jackson
04-19-2007, 01:21 AM
is there a better year to get from 86 to 95?also will the adapters fit these?

Rock4xFab
04-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Ok Here are my thoughts, I have explained it lots but people take what they hear and as it goes down the pipeline things get lost in the interpolation.
WHEN I originally made the adapter it was meant to put a TOY CV shaft in between the stock zuk case and rear end, hence no compound angles, just rotate the pinion up some and instant beefy shaft.
Then people started sticking Toy axles under there zuk and continued to put the CVs in the rear. I even read once where someone said, that this was what I made the adapters for. NOPE...
My opinion is the newer toy NON cvs have a higher operating angle at the flange which will allow them to be cut down and fit and work fine. I have done it both ways CV and NON cv, I say use what you can fit; just remember a CV is dam near 6" long so you take up a lot of space before you get any real droop.

The adapters were made to FIT 79-85 Toy cv and NON cv shafts. I have used the newer shafts 86 and up to 90 without any issues, other then having to mod center balls which is when I started using more non CV units for the compound angle
. I actually have had a guy call me up telling me how they were meant to be used and that he even new the MFG of the adapter. I got about 1/2 way through the conversation and explained that was me and I didnít know him, He hung up embarrassed.

My personal opinion is NON CV for the compound angle. But I have seen it and done it both ways. I donít generally interject into the whole shaft discussions because I feel I am usually wasting my breath. There always seems to be someone who has either had no issue and one other that canít seem to build is suspension system correct. Every Rig is a little different based on parts that have been installed and the budget it was built on. So how can anyone really give accurate advise on there particular setup. All I do is offer both sides of the coin and try to give you information so you can make and educated decision.

jackson
04-19-2007, 11:42 PM
thank you Scott for the explanation,sorry you had to type so long.im guessing im not alone when i say your word holds a lot more than the he/she said on the web.my rearend was supposed to be an 86 but has 90 written on it :roll: and besides some nickel and dime stuff the rear shaft is the only thing to address left.to make you roll your eyes again what has to be done to modify it?...oh yeah,it wasnt me that called and hardluk asked 2 2finger

HardLuk
04-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Rock4xFab:

Thank you for your reply. I see your point on everyone's setup is a little different. I think I also understand why you suggest using the non-CV as it doesn't protrude back so much before angling down to the pinion...What years would be best for this high angle non-CV driveshaft. Also, I imagine you would not run it if it led to vibration city. I guess I just jumped on the bandwagon with the whole CV shaft out rear gang. I would prefer the simplicity of a non-CV, for sure. I have a stock wheelbase zuk (as far as rear end) and thought my only chance of killing the vibes was going to be using a Toy CV shaft out rear. Please tell me I am wrong and I can use a xx thru xx year Toy rear shaft (high angle) cut down to fit.

Thank you,
-Nate-
:suzuki:

P.S.
Jackson: 2finger 2finger
That is, if you meant 2finger toward me