PDA

View Full Version : Paint how to

Scott1981
01-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Ok I have a primer gray Zuki and I am interested in doing the paint job myself sometime in Feb. To start with I have never done anything other than a rattle can job on a old beater truck, but I have painted RC truck lexan bodies with an airbrush and had good results. So my first question is am I getting in over my head on this? I would like a nice paint job, but it by no means has to be perfect. I am thinking since I already have access to a compressor that I can save quite a bit of $ doing it myself. Now I need to go through everything from prep to painting to finishing. It has primer on it now but some of it has flaked off and I am sure it could use some sanding in parts. What tools, paint, and supplies are recommended? Pretty much I dont know much of anything at this point so any and all information would be greatly apprechiated. Thanks guys

zachatola
01-28-2006, 04:28 PM
if your primer is flaking off you would be money ahead to sand it all down and reprime it. Im not an expert or anything but every paint job i have seen it always seems to come out to how the prep work was done before you painted it. So spend some GOOD time sanding, and making sure your primer and body work is good. As far as tools go, resperator is always a good thing if you value the later years of your life, DA sander is a tool to have, HVLP spray gun, straight board sanders are nice for body work, and then there is all the little things that you will need like tack cloth, stir sticks, filters, ect... As far as the technique for painting, i would probably buy a paint book and read up, i dont know all the proper ways to make it perfect, but i dont know that there are points in which you should apply the second coat, third ect.... This would all be described in a good paint book. There is a lot more too it but at least with this you have a good spot to start. Just remember the more time you put into the prep and body work the better the paint will look. Hope that helps

Scott1981
01-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks alot for the help, like I said I know nothing really so your direction is greatly apprechiated. I will hit up the book store today and try to find a book on auto paiting.

Itsmejoe231
01-28-2006, 06:11 PM
I totally agree with zach. If your primer is peeling then you need to sand it down and re do the primer and depending on how long your primer has been on there the harder it will get and then there is more sanding to do.

If you get down to metal it is good to use etching primer on the metal then use the regular primer on top of that. Once you have primed everything let it dry and wet sand it with 600 grit paper and then clean it off with cleaner. then spray your paint. You need to decide what kind of paiint to use. there is acrilic enamel and then there is lacuer paint. There are different ways of mixing thinners and hardeners for each type of paint.

I have never painted before my sami and all I did was go to my local auto paint store and talked with the owner. I told him i have never done it but seen it on tv before. :mrgreen: He went through all the steps I would need to do with the type of paint I have.

It is all in the prep work on how well your job turns out. I consider my sami a practice piece. I started fixing the little dings, then moved to the dents and rust spots. I primered it and now is waiting for me to get some time to put the paint on it. I have already bought the paint, but I need to get some time to take everything off to do the paint job. I do have an unkle that used to paint show cars and I did tell him that i would probably take the sami to him when it comes down to it.

Hulkzuki
01-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Several of us have had very good luck with Duplicolor brand paint. It is auto grade paint from a rattle can. It goes on thick and glossy and sticks well.

It is not near the quality you will get from a compressor and paint gun but it is relativly inexpensive and easy to apply for small projects. Easy to touch up too. If your rig is a trail rig and going to get scratched, dented and dirty anyway I cant justify the time and $ put into a full paint job. If not and you want a good quality look then go with the compressor.

Droopypete
01-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Easy,
1. shake can.
2. point at car and press button.
3. move hand left and right (stopping just before the glass and lights:mrgreen: )
4. stand back and admire!
Easy.2finger
Peter.

zuknstien
01-29-2006, 01:54 AM
here I did a write up for my friends paint job on this site.
http://forum.4x4trailhunters.com/index.php?showtopic=2022

Scott1981
01-29-2006, 11:20 AM
lol that was awesome zuknstien. Not a bad finish either! I would be happy with something that just looks decent. I dont need showroom quality but dont want it to look like crap either. Should I just go with a nicely done rattle can job?

Hulkzuki did the Duplicolor come out with any shine to it? I want just a little bit of a shine and not a complete flat color. Also this may sound stupid but if I rattle can it I can wash the truck and the paint wont come off right?

shorty
01-29-2006, 11:24 AM
They have a rattle can CLEAR paint also which is for spraying over the color that you apply via the rattle can... It will shine seriously after that...

And yes, you can wash a rattle can job without any side effects... well of course after waiting a few hours...:)

TX_ZUKI
01-29-2006, 11:34 AM
here I did a write up for my friends paint job on this site.
http://forum.4x4trailhunters.com/index.php?showtopic=2022
lol Best paint job I have ever seen! :turn-l:

Sally
01-29-2006, 11:41 AM
I use the rattle can paint method soo much that I have a rattle can sprayer tool. Purchased it from ACE for under $5 it allows you to use a pistol grip on your spray paint cans.

shorty
01-29-2006, 11:48 AM
I use the rattle can paint method soo much that I have a rattle can sprayer tool. Purchased it from ACE for under $5 it allows you to use a pistol grip on your spray paint cans.

Wally world... I got two of them for 97 centoavos (oh wait that currency hasn't taken over just yet...)

Itsmejoe231
01-29-2006, 11:52 AM
And when the can is almost empty and it seems like it dont have just enough pressure to finish the can, dunk the can in warm water for a minute or two and it will build back up the pressure to finish all the paint in the can.

Disclaimer: By doing this you are doing it at your own risk and not holding Itsmejoe231 responsible nor its affiliates.

Scott1981
01-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Disclaimer: By doing this you are doing it at your own risk and not holding Itsmejoe231 responsible nor its affiliates.

lol

Itsmejoe231
01-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Wally world... I got two of them for 97 centoavos (oh wait that currency hasn't taken over just yet...)

It wont be long. lol

simplesam
01-29-2006, 12:17 PM
After laughing my ass off on the great how-to from Zukenstien, I thought I would add to this post. Unfortunately there is no real how-to in print about painting just some quick tips and lots of practice.

Number 1 in painting is lots of prep
Number 2 is lots more of prep
and so on, and so on

Try to sand with a block whenever possible, your hands (unless trained) will leave a wave effect on the finished paint.
That peeling primer you talked about must be removed or the paint will bubble (especially in the winter time).
After all the sanding is done you have 2 choices.
1. throw some paint on the top and damn the torpedos
2. re-primer in grey, then lightly throw some black paint on top (just a fog) and resand this will show defects like sand scratches and low spots. invest in some spot putty and fill any chips you can find. (a quick note about spot putty, it shrinks so after you put your first cote of putty over a chip, let dry and sand, if still too low apply again then sand until smooth).
Think of applying paint like mowing a lawn overlap each cote. the trick is to apply paint on the next swipe while the first swipe is still a little damp that way the two melt together. If the paint is too dry it will leave a stripe effect between the swipes. Too wet and you will drip or sag the paint. I tend to think a little too wet is better than too dry. When the paint has cured 1-2 days depending on the type of paint and the weather, you might be ready to color sand with some 1000 grit sandpaper and finish with a buffer(not required but does improve the finish if done properly) Painting is a lot of technique and practice, which might be perfect on a rig your about to scratch up on some rocks.

Check your local autopaint supply store for tips and tricks. Most of the local stores in my area are all too happy to help. At the minimum they usually have the best quality rattle can stuff you can buy.