PDA

View Full Version : 16v years

Billjohn
11-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Anyone know what years the track/kicks had 16v motors?

zukking01
11-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Not sure on the whole thing but somewhere in the 91-95 era. If you are doing a swap you will want to get the 93 year due to no crank sensor and had the best power output for its type.

Billjohn
11-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks, just replacing one we swapped out a few years ago. It has a knock...

Itsmejoe231
11-02-2006, 07:52 PM
It seems like a crap shoot to me. I picked up a 94 sidekick hoping it would be the 16v but it was the 8v. (just my luck) I think it has something to do with it being a 4 door or 2 door. I am interested in the stats also.

AZLugz
11-03-2006, 07:41 AM
My Daughters 95 is a 16v and it says it on the back hatch. we picked it up in great shape and running perfect with 91K for 2200....Even got her to wheel it once!!:funny:

Rock4xFab
11-23-2006, 09:30 AM
watch the 95's they have the coily in the distrib, and the crank sensor.. you need both for that year.

zorproducts
12-09-2006, 04:09 PM
I have gotten them out of four doors as early as 92. I have had 3. A 92, 94 and 95 none had crank sensors. They are in 2 doors but as an option so your going to see many more 8v in the 2 doors than 16v.
My

zuk1972
12-31-2006, 10:54 AM
Ive seen quite a few 95 s that have the crank sensor but may be late model years?

Lav25
01-15-2007, 09:43 PM
The 16v started in 1992-1998. The 92 to 95s are ODBI motors and the wiring harnesses and computers are the ones you want. 1996-1998 were ODBII models and you cannot use the harness or computer.

HOWEVER

You can use the later year motors with the early harness and computer, so long as you build the harness correctly. The nice thing about the post 95 motors is the all in one coil/distributor, this cleans up the install, so long as you get it and the wiring for it for your builder.

The Crank Position sensor is not an issue.

zuk1972
01-15-2007, 09:50 PM
The 16v started in 1992-1998. The 92 to 95s are ODBI motors and the wiring harnesses and computers are the ones you want. 1996-1998 were ODBII models and you cannot use the harness or computer.

HOWEVER

You can use the later year motors with the early harness and computer, so long as you build the harness correctly. The nice thing about the post 95 motors is the all in one coil/distributor, this cleans up the install, so long as you get it and the wiring for it for your builder.

The Crank Position sensor is not an issue.
There are late 94[early 95] california emission engines that were obd 2[there are 3 95 tracker 16v obd 2 in my local yard alone.
Ive seen several,also there are harness differences between the cali and non cali models[non cali harness =cali ecm will run safe mode and poor mpgs]Id personally try to use all sensors if possible on a dd your talking maybe 5mpgs difference for a few extra hours of work?The vss controls egr funtion on the 96 up too so its really needed imho.

Lav25
01-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Yes there are Cali models. However, the motor doesn know the difference about the sensors if you use the correct harness and computer. The added sensors on the ODBII models are just to help control the motor timeing to better control emissions.

The are also 2 O2 sensors on those cars, and a fuel tank sensor. But again, using the ODBI computer and harness the motor wont know the difference, and neither will the computer.

The 92/93 harnesses are different then the 94/95 years also. But anyone who has dealt with this during the harness build phase will know those differences and make adjustments accordingly. Some examples of this would be the number of wires on the O2 sensor, and the wires in the test plug under the hood (3 vs 4).

zuk1972
01-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Yes there are Cali models. However, the motor doesn know the difference about the sensors if you use the correct harness and computer. The added sensors on the ODBII models are just to help control the motor timeing to better control emissions.

The are also 2 O2 sensors on those cars, and a fuel tank sensor. But again, using the ODBI computer and harness the motor wont know the difference, and neither will the computer.

The 92/93 harnesses are different then the 94/95 years also. But anyone who has dealt with this during the harness build phase will know those differences and make adjustments accordingly. Some examples of this would be the number of wires on the O2 sensor, and the wires in the test plug under the hood (3 vs 4).
Most dont have a tank sensor[unless cali model]ive done many of the obd 2 ,and coverted a few cali harness to non cali specs.Ive also done a 94 obd1.
Unless you have a 92-94 1/2 harness ecm,id just use the stuff that matches the engine[the obd 1 stuff is getting harder to find]I have had stalling issues with 1 96 model but that was easy fix and have not had any obd2 trouble...obd1 needs a check engine light =for trouble code [functional as well]the obd2 s dont they can be scanned easily at zone[i guess the 1s can too but most wont scan 1s anymore]

Lav25
01-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Well we do about 35+ motor swaps a year, and every one of them has to pass California Referee standards for motor swaps. Which basically states that you can swap a motor into a vehicle so long as you use the same year or newer motor in that vehicle and you maintain the sensors used for that motor.

This is why we and most folks in california cannot use any of the vendors harness rebuilds because they do not follow CA guidelines.

So yes there are differences between years, the most consistant years are 94/95, and from time to time you will get a curve ball thrown at you. If it was easy then everyone would be doing it.

zuk1972
01-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Well we do about 35+ motor swaps a year, and every one of them has to pass California Referee standards for motor swaps. Which basically states that you can swap a motor into a vehicle so long as you use the same year or newer motor in that vehicle and you maintain the sensors used for that motor.

This is why we and most folks in california cannot use any of the vendors harness rebuilds because they do not follow CA guidelines.

So yes there are differences between years, the most consistant years are 94/95, and from time to time you will get a curve ball thrown at you. If it was easy then everyone would be doing it.
Its definatly not easy,im getting ready for my first 2.0l harness,and have done a toy as well.I like to use all sensors as well reguardless weather it works without them or not things get tricky when you try to mix and match..

Itsmejoe231
01-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Good info Lav25! Welcome to the site. One question for you that I have trouble with, what is the difference in the sidekick/tracker that has the 8v versus the 16v? I have notice the 4 door cars get the 16v and 2 door get the 8v but that is not always true. Was it just an option back when the offered them?

zuk1972
01-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Good info Lav25! Welcome to the site. One question for you that I have trouble with, what is the difference in the sidekick/tracker that has the 8v versus the 16v? I have notice the 4 door cars get the 16v and 2 door get the 8v but that is not always true. Was it just an option back when the offered them?
The 4 doors are almost exclusivly 16valves[ive heard of a few8v]the 2 doors were optional after 92 ,the rest of the world is different i have a tbi 16valve intake from canada...for example

Lav25
01-15-2007, 10:31 PM
I believe it was an option. But that was a transition year. Because even up to 1995 you could still find 2dr kick/trackers with 8v motors.

I think they finally decided the 16v just needed to be in the 4dr models. The trannies are generally 4 speed on the 4drs while the 2drs are 3sp.

If you decide to use the 8v throttle body in your car which really is a nice setup, you again run into a number of variations with the harnesses used from 89 to 95. In these cases it makes sense to keep the entire harness and computer for the motor that you will be using, and to have a wiring book for that year car. If you are doing just one.

Just like the 16v you will still need to add a VSS but only on 90 and newer cars because on 89 cars the computer did not look for a VSS signal.

zuk1972
01-15-2007, 10:34 PM
I believe it was an option. But that was a transition year. Because even up to 1995 you could still find 2dr kick/trackers with 8v motors.

I think they finally decided the 16v just needed to be in the 4dr models. The trannies are generally 4 speed on the 4drs while the 2drs are 3sp.

If you decide to use the 8v throttle body in your car which really is a nice setup, you again run into a number of variations with the harnesses used from 89 to 95. In these cases it makes sense to keep the entire harness and computer for the motor that you will be using, and to have a wiring book for that year car. If you are doing just one.

Just like the 16v you will still need to add a VSS but only on 90 and newer cars because on 89 cars the computer did not look for a VSS signal.
Watch it close i did a 90 model[late i think]it didnt have the vss either [it did have all in one ignition like carb model samurai too]these are oddball efi 8vs....

Itsmejoe231
01-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the info. I have the 8v installed in my zuki, it came out of a 94 2 door sidekick. The harness was not hard at all, since then I have done another for a friend and it only took about 2 hours to do with both of us working on it versus the 10 hours it took me to do the first one by myself.

zuk1972
01-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I have the 8v installed in my zuki, it came out of a 94 2 door sidekick. The harness was not hard at all, since then I have done another for a friend and it only took about 2 hours to do with both of us working on it versus the 10 hours it took me to do the first one by myself.
Those seem to be the most plentfull style around ohio too on the 8v s.The one i did [only 8valve]was a snap after doin a auto, 4 speed, 4 door, power everthing harness..

Itsmejoe231
01-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Those seem to be the most plentfull style around ohio too on the 8v s.The one i did [only 8valve]was a snap after doin a auto, 4 speed, 4 door, power everthing harness..

I bet that was a mess. I can only imagine. lol

Bass Man
01-16-2007, 12:49 AM
Hey, mind if I steal this thread a minute??

We have a 93 sidekick with an 8v in it... is it still better than the 92 and 94 years??

SimZuk1
01-16-2007, 06:55 AM

I have a 1.6 16v 97 tracker engine that I installed about six months ago, I had Trail Tough put together my wireing harness. My question is in reference to the second O2 sensor, do you need to run this sensor? if you dont run it, will it cause damage to your engine? Spark plugs look good if that matters.

Engine seems to run good, but does have a little hesitation in mid range when you go full throttle, any fixes for this problem?

zuk1972
01-16-2007, 09:58 AM
I have a 1.6 16v 97 tracker engine that I installed about six months ago, I had Trail Tough put together my wireing harness. My question is in reference to the second O2 sensor, do you need to run this sensor? if you dont run it, will it cause damage to your engine? Spark plugs look good if that matters.

Engine seems to run good, but does have a little hesitation in mid range when you go full throttle, any fixes for this problem?
Second o2 isnt i huge deal my trail rig doesnt have one ,This shouldnt cause the problem your speaking of.Have you checked for any trouble codes?The tunup is kinda a big deal [especially plug wires]Check the tps too.My dd full sensor operation sammy has a very slight hesitation ive done all this and still have it ?timing adjustment helped slightly[raised timing slightly from oem setting]My 94 kick had this too [needed all the above =but was high mileage and didnt bother throwing $ at it [recently sold it]Ohm test your wires[poor wires break down fast on these type engines[slight condensation can collect in the plug hole as well due to the design]

Lav25
01-16-2007, 04:59 PM
The 2nd O2 Sensor is for ODBII computers. TT uses the ODBI harnesses and computers so this would not be a cause of your problems.

As suggested make sure everything is connected correctly. Make sure your timing is good. We have noticed in some cases that you can have too much exhaust (big pipes) which robs power because the motors do like a little back pressure.

Check normal stuff (Plugs, wires, cap, rotor etc).

Did the motor come out of an automatic or 5 speed? If automatic did you close off the little vacuum valve on the back of the intake manifold?

SimZuk1
01-16-2007, 05:39 PM
The 2nd O2 Sensor is for ODBII computers. TT uses the ODBI harnesses and computers so this would not be a cause of your problems.

As suggested make sure everything is connected correctly. Make sure your timing is good. We have noticed in some cases that you can have too much exhaust (big pipes) which robs power because the motors do like a little back pressure.

Check normal stuff (Plugs, wires, cap, rotor etc).

Did the motor come out of an automatic or 5 speed? If automatic did you close off the little vacuum valve on the back of the intake manifold?

I sent my harness from donor Tracker into TT and when it was sent back it had a conector label for a 2nd O2 sensor. As far as I know, everything is connected correctly. It came with a 5 speed trans. as for the exhaust, it did the same thing with my old exhaust as it does with my new and i even installed a high flow cat with new exhaust. Installed new plugs, but not new wires and using stock cap.

Now when i took off cap, I did notice that the top of the rotor had a chip broke off. Could that be the problem?

Also, I never messed with the timing.

SimZuk1
01-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Second o2 isnt i huge deal my trail rig doesnt have one ,This shouldnt cause the problem your speaking of.Have you checked for any trouble codes?The tunup is kinda a big deal [especially plug wires]Check the tps too.My dd full sensor operation sammy has a very slight hesitation ive done all this and still have it ?timing adjustment helped slightly[raised timing slightly from oem setting]My 94 kick had this too [needed all the above =but was high mileage and didnt bother throwing $ at it [recently sold it]Ohm test your wires[poor wires break down fast on these type engines[slight condensation can collect in the plug hole as well due to the design]

Havent check any codes, check engine light never came on. But that doesnt mean their were'nt any pre-existing codes.

I will check wires plug wires, what ohms should they read?

Joe Edge
01-16-2007, 05:48 PM
i just bought a 94 tracker with the 16v. i did plugs(ngk v-power), cap and rotor and it runs a little rough still. My girl friend's unchle owns a garage and he said it sounds like my timing is retarted cause when he went to start it today before my inspection it started then died.i just picked it up and it's running just like it did before so i am gunna check my timing tomarrow.

zuk1972
01-16-2007, 06:22 PM
I think the zuk fsm says like 3000 and up is bad,but wires such as msd,etc have only around 150! Ive seen brand new zone wires ohm near the 2000 range so the aftermarket cheapies kinda suck from jumpstreet.
The plastic being chipped prolly isnt hurting anything unless its letting the spark bypass the normal path:down the middle and out the side.
Imho ,the rear o2 being misssing may make it run better as far as a hesitation from a lean condition [safe mode will add some fuel and remove some timing]Make sure the t-b is clean or just clean it for good measure they get pretty nasty behind the blade..Make sure all mass air tubes are tight and no vaccum leaks behind maSS AIR.