PDA

View Full Version : smokin question

fuctzookis.a.
10-20-2006, 02:07 PM
quick one here... at start up every morning it runs very, very rough, smokes quite a bit(grey smoke/black)shakes and studders, after i let her warm up(5-10 minutes) she runs like a top w/ no smoke(noticible that is). is this a rings problem? seems to be going through more oil than normal lately. but i havent honestly been paying too much attention though. ill be checking my timing tomorrow morning. is it correct to do the timing test when warm(the engine that is)? im guessing a rebuild kit is in my future.... thats something i know i'll have trouble with....popcornn

Itsmejoe231
10-20-2006, 06:44 PM
That sounds like valve guides/seals that are going bad. What happens when you shut the engine down the oil will leak through the guides and get in the combustion chamber. When you start it up it will burn off the oil until there is not anymore to burn off and quit smokin.

That is just what happends to 20 year old engines.

hillbilly
10-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Choke problem I'd say. If just does it when cold. Seal and guide problem will smoke on start up warm or cold. Try takin of your air cleaner before you start it (cold). When it starts, push the choke flap open a little with a screw driver. If it gets better its the choke pull off or choke unloader(dont know what zuki calls it). Hope this helps:happy

fuctzookis.a.
10-23-2006, 12:35 AM
thanks guys. ill do what i can to figure it out.