PDA

View Full Version : Distributor oil leak- silicone gasket maker or new seal

BOFF
10-14-2006, 12:08 PM
For those of you with past oil leaking from the distributor housing, have you just thrown away the old seal and just used a silicone gasket material without a seal? If so did it do well? Yeah, I know a new seal is inexpensive, but just wanting to know if it can be fixed correctly without a seal, and just the gasket making silicone? Thanks in advance, God Bless, DavidB.

Zee
10-14-2006, 03:26 PM
I thought that the usual problem is a O ring that sits under the disributor.
Try this link to IZook,it should help you.
Z
http://www.izook.com/tech/shoptips/leaky_distributor.htm

BOFF
10-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Well, if you read #7 where you posted it reads :

"Replace the o-ring on the distributor and the one on the distributor housing. "

I don't understand why you would pull the housing if it doesn't or hasn't been an issue to leak oil there for others in the past. . I've got so much junk of oil from the previous owner, I can't tell for sure where it's leaking. Figured it's just as easy to do both at the same time.

john1974
10-19-2006, 08:24 PM
ya need a housing gasket, but I didnt have one so I just gasket makered it up real good and it hasnt leaked in over a year now. Only issue is it will be alittle tougher to get off the housing next time you need to..

John

Billjohn
10-19-2006, 10:28 PM
SPidertrax has them for cheap, so next time you order from them get a couple and put them in the toolbox. I did last trip up there. They have both disty o-rings in stock.