PDA

View Full Version : Ticking Noise

fjatheart
10-10-2006, 03:00 PM
I have an 87 Samurai with a stock 1.3 motor. I have a ticking noise when it idles. No noise when I going down the highway and it has plenty of power, or as much as a 1.3 can have. It doesn't use any oil, is this thing about to die on me? Could it be a valve adjustment or timing thing? Anyone know a place to take it in NASHVILLE, TN? All you guys seem to be out west. Thanks

Itsmejoe231
10-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Sounds like an exhaust leak.

fjatheart
10-10-2006, 09:33 PM
I'll be sure to check that out. Should I look around the manifold? Thanks again.

Itsmejoe231
10-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Depends where the sound is coming from. An exhaust leak sounds like a tick when it leaks from the manifold gasket.

A lifter could be ticking to. You will have to determine whare the ticking is coming from.

ack
10-10-2006, 11:19 PM
One thing that you can do to find this ticking is to go to an auto parts store and buy one of those stethescopes (like the doctor uses to check for chest congestion but this one is designed for automotive use). Put the metal "pickup" end of the stethescope on various parts of the engine as it is running (stay away from the moving parts...) and listen. As you get close to the source of the ticking noise, the sound will get louder.

BTW, my vote is for an out-of-adjustment lifter. Not an engine-threatening problem, just a matter of getting the valve lifters adjusted...

fjatheart
10-11-2006, 01:46 AM
I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge, I'm a newbie, if you can't tell.

xanthias
10-11-2006, 06:49 AM
My grandad would use a sawed off broomstick for a stethoscope. Touch one end to the par of the engine you want to listen to - carefully - and press the other end of the dowel against the cartilage of your ear; carries sound beautifully. Cost: $0

[I'm convinced Zuk owners and cockroaches will be the only survivors of armageddon!]