PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu 1.9 swap

warpig
09-01-2006, 06:25 PM
I have a fully functioning 1.3 in my Zuk. It is a half dd half trail rig. I am wanting more power but my engine still has some life left in it. I have in my possesion a 1.9 liter Isuzu I4 engine, 84hp, 101 ftlbs torque, with a four speed I believe Borg Warner behind it. I am going to rebuild the engine and the transmission behind it. I am plannin on putting a bigger/better carberator, performance header, exhaust, and ignition system. This will be my first total automobile engine rebuild. I will post progress pictures once I get started, but I am open to suggestions for what transfer case to run, and other doodads to make it perform better.

Caleb

DesertZuki
09-01-2006, 06:49 PM
The first question that comes to mind is it going to be worth all the work when a 1.6 8v (which is an easy swap) gives 80 hp @ 5400rpm and 94 ftlbs @ 3000rpm.

warpig
09-01-2006, 07:42 PM
In this case I believe it is a matter of convienence, I already have the motor, manuals, and a good start on the parts for rebuilding it. I have searched for that engine to swap but have come up wanting. So, I feel this one will work. It is almost the same amount of hp and torque, right?

Caleb

zukking01
09-01-2006, 08:27 PM
The good.....

You have the engine
You have the trans
You have parts to rebuild

The bad....

The engine needs rebuild
They dont make a kit to put it in
The engine weighs more

I would keep on looking for a 1.6 and swap that when you find it. The swap for a 8v is easy and can be done in a day if you have everything. I did mine in 12 hours complete start to finish and it was great. The weight will be a lot less than a 1.9 and your repair manual from the samurai should also have the 1.6 in it as well. MY .02

Bearkat
09-01-2006, 08:47 PM
The good.....

You have the engine
You have the trans
You have parts to rebuild

The bad....

The engine needs rebuild
They dont make a kit to put it in
The engine weighs more

I would keep on looking for a 1.6 and swap that when you find it. The swap for a 8v is easy and can be done in a day if you have everything. I did mine in 12 hours complete start to finish and it was great. The weight will be a lot less than a 1.9 and your repair manual from the samurai should also have the 1.6 in it as well. MY .02

X2

warpig
09-01-2006, 09:22 PM
Well guys, I really do appreciate your input so far. I honestly respect y'alls opinions, but, I am one of those people that never ever follows the rules, so expect me to be asking all kinds of stupid engine rebuild questions in the next few months, and post whoring cause I need pics of this, and that and this and that. But, were would the world be without people willing to skirt convention and do something different. Imagine if all the sammon in the world swam with the current and not up it. Okay hey look a quarter.

Caleb

DesertZuki
09-01-2006, 09:39 PM
...I am one of those people that never ever follows the rules, so expect me to be asking all kinds of stupid engine rebuild questions in the next few months, and post whoring cause I need pics of this, and that and this and that. But, were would the world be without people willing to skirt convention and do something different. Imagine if all the sammon in the world swam with the current and not up it..Sounds like your mind is made up! Any motor can be swapped, it just depends on how much you want to spend and how much time you want to burn doing it. I can guarantee you this -- you will have something unique!
bigok

warpig
09-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Yea my wife jumped at the idea of instead of another vehicle to wrench on, putting 1000ish into a new motor and tranny for the current zuk, then waiting till it dies to insert the new setup, I may even convince her to let me get a nice big strong tcase to go with it.

Caleb

Marshall
09-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Well if a 302 can be made to fit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/A-REAL-BUILT-V-8-SAMURAI-COMPARE-TO-OTHERS_W0QQitemZ220020123801QQihZ012QQcategoryZ646 8QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) then you should be able to get that 1.9 in there.