PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering add on?

tamarack
01-23-2006, 05:03 PM
I though there was a thread here about an easy power steering conversion for the sammie...

I can't seem to locate one...

I am thinking about adding ps to my 88.5 zuki.
Any advice, links tips, info etc.

And on a not quite related thread, The bolt holding the oil dipstick tube in place broke off on me.
Anyone got a secret fix?
Otherwise I am going to have to pull the radiator, fan etc back out again and hope I can extract the broken part or drill n tap it...
;)

Thanks
Tam

Itsmejoe231
01-23-2006, 06:37 PM
There are several ways to go here and it all depends on what you are going to build your rig to do.

The easiest is probably the tracker PS set up. I have never done one but it seems the simplest cause the pump and brackets are a direct bolt on.

There is the chevy powersteering from an early 90's late 80's S-10 truck or blazer or the astro van. It is a little harder cause you have to make a mounting bracket for the pump, drill new holes and reinforce for the gear box. It is probably the cheapest of them all. I spent a total of $140 on it. I got the pump and gear box from the local pick and pull for about $70. there was a miscellanious $20 for new fluids, bolts and nuts ect.The steering u-joint to mate the steering shaft to the gear box cost the most and that was $50 from the local speed shop. I think the nicest thing about this build up is that the pitman arm dont need to be changed out, it will recieve the samuria rod end perfect. I have been running this set up on mine with locker on front and 35" tires and have not had any problems.

Then there is the toyota ifs. It is basically the same as far as installation wise as the chevy ps but you have to buy another pitman arm and cost much more but probably a stronger set up.

And about your last question. I have ran mine without the dip stick tube bolted down and didnt have a problem. But if you just have to have it tied down you can get a pick and see if you can move the broke bolt out with it. If it dont work, looks like you will have to remove all that stuff and do it the hard way.

zukking01
01-23-2006, 07:03 PM
I did the tracker and It was easy. I bought the pump resivor and gear box for 100 from a guy parting one out. I built my own brackets to put the pump on and it works great. Turns the welded third in the front with the touch of a pinky. I like that a lot.toast

Hulkzuki
01-23-2006, 07:12 PM
I went the tracker ps setup as well and was not happy with the results. Went through 2 pumps in 6 months even with a PS cooler. It kept overheating and worked kind of OK in the rocks. Better than stock steering but barely worth the headache.

If I had it to do over again I would go chevy becase the parts are bigger, better flow rates, cheaper and more accessable if you need to replace something. Call your local autoparts dealer and price a remaned sidekick pump.

If you REALLY want to do things right the first time and never have to worry about it again call PFC in Azle TX. Their high flow pumps are between $150 and $250 but have a much higher flow rate and put out much higher pressure than anything you can find OEM. They are designed to be used offroad for full Hydro rigs. Many locals use them and I have never heard a complaint.

holeshot
01-24-2006, 02:20 AM
I started my power steering with the set up from the toyota Celica. It worked well for years. Went through a few pumps over the years. Never had a problem with the steering gear. Over all it worked OK. I then added hydro assist, and the Celica pump just flat out gave up. I switched to a pump from PSC Motorsports and love it. Now running PSC pump, Toyota Celica steering gear, two toyota resivors, and hydro assist cylinder. System works GREAT.

Dont waste your time or money with the Sidekick stuff. Its way to small and under powered.

maxsbigdady
01-24-2006, 10:00 AM
what year celica stuff should I look for? pump, gearbox, idler?
david

RIVERZUK
01-24-2006, 10:55 AM
what year celica stuff should I look for? pump, gearbox, idler?
david

78-81 Celica, Corona, or Cressida. RRO and Petroworks have the bracket kits

Itsmejoe231
01-24-2006, 06:42 PM
78-81 Celica, Corona, or Cressida. RRO and Petroworks have the bracket kits

I would have mentioned this ps system but it is real hard to find the gear boxes now days. A lot of those cars did not have ps only some of them. Yes, this is a good set up and will work if you find one.

bmp
01-24-2006, 09:54 PM
isn't power steering kinda size specific...What I mean is isn't it kinda unfair to expect sidekick steering to turn locked 35s?

wouldn't hydo steer be over kill for 31s?

I don't know, I'm asking, but I have driven a samurai with sidekick powersteering and 30s with open diff and it was great, worked really well.

For you guys with ps let us know what size tires and whether it is locked or not.

Hulkzuki
01-24-2006, 10:57 PM
isn't power steering kinda size specific...What I mean is isn't it kinda unfair to expect sidekick steering to turn locked 35s?

wouldn't hydo steer be over kill for 31s?

Yes most definately. But hydro assist is great for any tire size and retains the on road "feel"

mahana79
01-25-2006, 11:17 PM
i ran tracker PS with a mini-spool front and 31's. Never had a problem. already had a 1.6 16v with the pump brakets so just made up the frame braket and bolted it on.

worked like a champ for me.

zukking01
01-25-2006, 11:18 PM
Did you get or make a swivel to link it up to the gear box of did you makeshift "straight" link to gear box?:confused:

mahana79
01-25-2006, 11:30 PM
i used the upper joint off of a second sami steering shaft. however i thinkt he stock ragjoint end is the same spline.

the Tracker box and the sami box should both have the same input dia and splines somebody correct me if im wrong

purevil71
01-25-2006, 11:30 PM
I'm gonna be doing the Toy IFS PS stuff to help turn my big meats and welded front.
MIGHT do hydro assist later though, we'll see how the Toy stuff does first.

Droopypete
01-26-2006, 02:48 AM
The easiest is probably the tracker PS set up.

The absolute easiest, is off a Jimny, everything (including the steering box) bolts on:D
Peter.

rhino
01-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Here in Spain we have samurais with PS original from the factory.:D

hugo

zukiWilson
01-26-2006, 02:19 PM
I was looking at Suzuki Germany and they have Jimnys with CRD 1.5L diesels, very cool. Except, that they don't sell them over here. But we have some pretty cool places to wheel!!

purevil71
01-27-2006, 02:50 PM
The absolute easiest, is off a Jimny, everything (including the steering box) bolts on
Peter.

Here in Spain we have samurais with PS original from the factory.:D
hugo

OK...you two can hush now.....lol
Wonder what shipping would be for one of those

Billjohn
01-27-2006, 03:43 PM
OK...you two can hush now.....lol
Wonder what shipping would be for one of those

It's not the shipping that will kill you, it's getting it legal AT THE DOCK to operate it within the US. Ever seen the movie Rain Man? Same thing there but they were doing it with Lamborghinis... not cheap.

Droopypete
01-27-2006, 08:18 PM
It's not the shipping that will kill you, it's getting it legal AT THE DOCK to operate it within the US. Ever seen the movie Rain Man? Same thing there but they were doing it with Lamborghinis... not cheap.
Bill, could you explain this a little more for me please (so I don't have to to rent the Rain Man vid :D )
Peter.

Billjohn
01-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Car manufacturers have to go by certain Department of Transportation (DOT) standards and CARB (don't know the full name) standards in order to get the vehicles 'street legal' here in the US. Many restrictions deal with lighting, glass, bumpers and crash protection. Many vehicles out in the rest of the world won't pass these standards, so you can't import them.
Example: LWB Sami. It was built longer, heavier and taller (with top) than a standard Sami. Suzuki didn't upgrade the bumpers or other crash protection so they were never imported BY SUZUKI. Some folks have found ways around those laws, or are in states that don't push the regs, but those are few and far between.

purevil71
01-27-2006, 10:19 PM
I just meant the power steering stuff...but OK, we'll run with a whole truck....lol

Indiana is probably one of those states that just dosen't care!!! Our state is too busy chasing meth heads to worry about silly thnks like big ol 4x4's

Billjohn
01-27-2006, 10:25 PM
I understand that once the vehicle is in the country (at the port doesn't count) it is easier to get it legal. But when it is shipped in through a port, customs will stop it until the proper paperwork is produced.

purevil71
01-27-2006, 10:27 PM
would it fit through one of the tunnels in Mexico????

Billjohn
01-27-2006, 10:31 PM
...anything is possible. But then again, if you just drive it across the border down here they will pay more attention to you than to the vehicle. Especially if you come through with an empty truck and the top off. These things have no place to smuggle stuff inside of.

"Citizenship?"
" 'merican"
"Have a nice day, proceed..."

(grin)

Droopypete
01-28-2006, 01:01 AM
Car manufacturers have to go by certain Department of Transportation (DOT) standards and CARB (don't know the full name) standards in order to get the vehicles 'street legal' here in the US. Many restrictions deal with lighting, glass, bumpers and crash protection. Many vehicles out in the rest of the world won't pass these standards, so you can't import them.
Example: LWB Sami. It was built longer, heavier and taller (with top) than a standard Sami. Suzuki didn't upgrade the bumpers or other crash protection so they were never imported BY SUZUKI. Some folks have found ways around those laws, or are in states that don't push the regs, but those are few and far between.

Thanks Bill we have the same problem over here when importing an American car, the indicators, windscreen, seat belts, need to be swapped and things like side intrusion bars need to be fitted to the doors, we have had some of the most stringent safety rules in place for many years :confused:
Peter.