PDA

View Full Version : Which engine

John A
08-18-2006, 03:22 PM
OK folks, I'm new to Zuks and need a bit of advise! I have a 86 Zuk that is pretty much a beater. I'm rebuilding the body now so I'm in no hurry but need to figure out what engine to install as the current 1.3 is pretty tired. I was leaning at installing a VW diesel but have serious doubts as to dropping that kind of dough into it,so now I'm leaning towards a 1.6 with after market injection. What do you folks think?

Regards,
John A

Zee
08-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Why aftermarket FI,you can get the 1.6 with fuel injection stock.
You will notice a considerable increase in power with the 1.6.
Or you could get another 1.3 and put the MyFy on it.
Z

elotsip
08-18-2006, 08:50 PM
I went with the 1.6l 16v EFI. It makes a huge difference and is a pretty easy swap. I think the myfi system is a good option as well. I'g go with one of those two optiosn as well.

LostSoul
08-18-2006, 09:14 PM
I love the 8 V even, but if you have a 16 V available cheap go for it.

John A
08-18-2006, 10:59 PM
OK then the 1.6 with the factory FI! What all is needed to do this switch other then the 1.6 engine, is there alot of wiring and computers needed from a donor sidekick/tracker to make this swap?

Best Regards,
John Anderson

mkyhmltn
08-18-2006, 11:30 PM
The 1.6 8V with the factory FI would be nice but with a non injected vehicle the wiring gets to be a pain in the A%#. If you are going with the 1.6 I would go with the MY-FI and not worry about the wiring. But thats just me.

Itsmejoe231
08-19-2006, 12:08 AM
Get the motor (obviously), computer, wiring harness, map sensor (it is on the fire wall), ignition, and fuel pump (optional).

Find one that is a 2wd and use the tranny as well. It is a tougher tranny than the samuria's and you dont have to buy the adaptor plate/kit. Buy the Dodge 318 motor mounts.

If you get this far I will tell you the rest. :mrgreen:

The rest is not hard, just need a little patients for the harness.

John A
08-19-2006, 09:21 AM
The 1.6 8V with the factory FI would be nice but with a non injected vehicle the wiring gets to be a pain in the A%#. If you are going with the 1.6 I would go with the MY-FI and not worry about the wiring. But thats just me.

Yea, thats kinda what I was thinking,I've talked with the guy that sells the MY-FI system and it sounds like it works out pretty good! Well it will be awhile before I'm that far anyway so thanks too all.

Regards,
John

LostSoul
08-19-2006, 09:26 AM
Yea, thats kinda what I was thinking,I've talked with the guy that sells the MY-FI system and it sounds like it works out pretty good! Well it will be awhile before I'm that far anyway so thanks too all.

Regards,
John

Do what I did, rip out the Samurai harness and use everything from the Tracker, and I mean everything. I have the Multifunction switch and Ignition along with the Speedo out of the Tracker in my Samurai. Only part of the Sammy harness still there was were I put the Headlight marker light plugs back on the Tracker harness. Tail lights I am using the LED's so no harness issues, just ran new wires.

zukking01
08-19-2006, 09:39 AM
I am the #3 tester of the MY-FI and I have it on a 1.6 8v I didnt go with the factory FI because it would be a pain to work with and I always have problems with electrical. The MY-FI has no computer and has very little wiring. If you wanted I think it would be possible without wiring but then you would lose your cold start (like a throttle body injector) and warn up regulator. I installed this kit in a day and it is sweet. I can go up any hill and will lose traction before power. Go MY-FI and be done with it.

DesertZuki
08-19-2006, 12:40 PM
I have the 16v. The motor swap itself isn't bad. I'm not good with wiring, so I had to get help. If I wasn't able to get help I would have purchased a ready-made wiring harness -- they're out there. The power is a big improvement and the fuel injection is almost mandatory for rocks crawling.

If you get a 2wd track/kick automatic as a donor, you can also swap the auto trans in.

RokZuk
08-19-2006, 04:05 PM
If And when i get more money i would like to do the 16v swap, but for now my dad and i found a 93 sammy with efi and put that on my rig!! it works great and it will still do 65 mph down the freeway easy on 33's with 4.16s in the tcase.

zorproducts
08-27-2006, 03:53 PM
If your up to it, do a 1.6 16v motor swap with the gmc auto tranny, that way you can still use the samurai t-case which has higher aftermarket gearing available. You will need to raise the body if you go with some of the aftermarket engine mounts. SO make your own. You want it as low as you can get it. Unless you do not want to close your hood or cut out alot of the tunnel. The wiring harness is 90% cutoff. If you can read a schematic you can cut off all the extra yourself. I can provide the factory schematic for the early models without crank sensor. To me this is still Suzuki and the primo conversion. If you end up with a 8v or a 1.3 then you will want FI whether TB or MY-FI.
My

bigflex
09-06-2006, 02:52 AM
The power is a big improvement and the fuel injection is almost mandatory for rocks crawling.

why would you say such a thing:confused: ? I'm running the stock carb on the silver one and I can stand that thing on end either way and i cant kill it!:shocked!:

I guess I got lucky:jumping:

DesertZuki
09-06-2006, 07:48 AM
why would you say such a thing:confused: ? I'm running the stock carb on the silver one and I can stand that thing on end either way and i cant kill it!When carb'd, if I got mine steep enough (Widowmaker on Metal Masher in Moab for instance) it would only run if I kept my foot in it. My kid's was the same if not just a little worse -- I figured this was the norm. Don't get me wrong -- it did better than any other carb'd 4x4 I've had, but keeping it running on the steep stuff was a problem.

hillbilly
09-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Go get snakemans FREE rabbit! whip Your closer than any one else! Save it from the crusher:jumping: