PDA

View Full Version : K&N air cleaner question?

Touz
07-27-2006, 06:07 PM
HI !

I've putted a 3 inch, 90 degres aluminium pipe and a k&n air filter on my carb'd zuk (1.3L)and now have a hard time revving it from 3500rpm to 5000......it rev up so slowly up to 5000...(slower than before:cry: :-x )I don't know why??
Is my carb(pony carb)need adjustment because of the larger amount of air entering the engine???I'm kida noob.....:rofl: but triying to get better..

Im sorry for my english....Im from quebec city..so speack french everyday:dance: ...but likes to read on your forum guys!!!rockonn

what is wrong with my setup??everything else except the pony carb is stock zuk engine.....but spoa,31',sj410 t case....smokin

thank you for your help!!!!popcornn

mikevyota
07-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Are you talking about a snorkel? Most I've seen were a HUGE restriction, like trying to breathe through a straw. If that's the case, you might need to lean the carb out for less air entering the engine.

Billjohn
07-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Sounds like he just ran the 3" pipe (90 degree) off of the collector can on top of the carb. Similar to the FilterCharger setup K&N has for the Samurai. I was under the impression it allowed MORE air through, not less.

Here's a question... What did you do with the vacuum tube and the vent tube? Did you plumb them into the new pipe? Maybe something to consider...

Touz
07-27-2006, 08:45 PM
sorry Mikevyota but billjohn got it righ!!!kinda like the filter charger to get more air....

yeah... vaccum tube and vent...just let them hang down...oupss!:funny:
are you talking of the tube coming from the gaz tank(vaccum)and the one on the valve cover(vent).I tough maybe of plumbing them in the metal box covering the top of the carb(so sorry....)drill hole,fit a small pipe that fit in the vent/vaccum tube.... because i dont want to drill my aluminium piping..:dance: but I was wondering if I shorten the tube(vent/vaccum) and plugs them closer to the carb(more air sucking???)will I end up with too much vaccum??

I hope you understand me...tahks a lot guys!!!

I love to wrench on my :suzuki:

redidbull
07-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Is this what you did?
http://www.zuwharrie.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10062/filter.JPG

This is also on a pony. I just plugged all the vaccum lines except one to the distributer. I put a small filter on the hose of the PCV. Make sure you didn't move the aircleaner on top of the carb so that it is hitting the linkage of the carb. I know I needed to hammer it quite a bit to clear. Jm

Touz
07-27-2006, 09:48 PM
yes...but cleanner2finger hihi joking....

but my carb was aready on the truck and was running #1....but after the air cleaner....I just un plug the 2 tube mentionned earlier and dont know if pluging them back will solve my problem. now:no power at high rpm and slow rpm needle from 3000 and up....so slow...whip

Billjohn
07-27-2006, 11:21 PM
...but I was wondering if I shorten the tube(vent/vaccum) and plugs them closer to the carb(more air sucking???)will I end up with too much vaccum??

It should be fine. Remember that the tube - from carb to air filter - is a sealed tube. You get the same amount of vacuum all the way through the tube.

Touz
07-28-2006, 10:46 AM
yeah..right so I'll plug them back today but I don't know why it affect so much my power?? Stupid vent and vaccum.the one comming from the tank...what is it doing???just puting gaz vapor in my intake??....

I dont know..I heard maybe because I let more air in, I need more gaz. a guy told me to rejet my carb 140 primary and 180 secondary and said he got good result with pony carb setup than way...whatdo you think???

thanks a lot billjohn!!youre the man!!!!!!!!:happy

john1974
07-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Yep these things are so touchy with vac lines, funny how something like that can kill the motor...

Vagabond
07-31-2006, 08:32 PM
It's likely that your new filter has less filter surface than the stock one. This means it's more restrictive.

Touz
08-04-2006, 08:53 PM
It's likely that your new filter has less filter surface than the stock one. This means it's more restrictive.

nope!!impossible:It's a brand new k&n..and a BIG ones and a 3 inch 90 degre bend!!i got too much air...the stock air filter box breathe thru a 2 inch pipe that take air in the fender...much more restrition there...carb need adjustement....badly

ohter ideas??

Vagabond
08-04-2006, 09:50 PM
carb need adjustement....badly
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,2270.0.html

Touz
08-05-2006, 08:53 PM
good write up
but...my PONY carb need adjustement ...badly hihihihihi:jumping:

any write up on that??
and valve lash adjustement(certainly needing adjustement too...)

TX_ZUKI
08-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Izook.com helps again

http://www.izook.com/tech/samurai/engine/ponycarb/ponycarb.htm

Billjohn
08-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Beat me to it...
thanks.

Touz
08-06-2006, 02:42 PM
not a big help with adjustment.........I hate this f****** carb!!!

I'll go see my uncle(he's a mecanic) to help me tune it.I'm tired!

I'm looking foward a 1.6 8v swap but wondering if the 1.6 in multiport injection or mono point(trottle body injection)??? because I would like 4 separated injectors(don't like tbi...2finger )