PDA

View Full Version : Front Sammy locker

Sally
01-06-2006, 02:35 PM
I recently purchased a low rider DD Sammy with a 4.89/1 t-case and a detroit rear locker. I have driven lifted and locked Zuks on the trails but not on the road. What type if any problems will I run into if I install a locker into the front. I live in Illinois and we do get some snow that I will be driving in.
TIA

elotsip
01-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Well, on the street you won't have your hubs locked most likely so it won't make a difference. The locker will only come into play when the hubs are locked so you should be good.

Sally
01-06-2006, 02:46 PM
What about when they are locked?

Rincoln
01-06-2006, 03:04 PM
If you buy a good locker you shouldn't have any problems, they are designed to release on corners, the only prob I have seen is a cheap locker locking up at all the wrong times on the road or when turning under power(even with a good locker) somethimes keeps the locker engaged.

Sally
01-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Which locker would you guys recommend then?
(not ARB) for that it costs almost half what I paid for the truck.

Rincoln
01-06-2006, 03:13 PM
I personally just Weld all my stuff and deal with it ....but I am cheap.

Detriot or I think Lock Rite are the 2 I know people have enjoyed.

elotsip
01-06-2006, 04:14 PM
The other option is just lock one hub and leave one open. Then you are in 3 wheel drive but you can turn easy. I have a welded front and that's what I do.

Itsmejoe231
01-06-2006, 05:10 PM
The other option is just lock one hub and leave one open. Then you are in 3 wheel drive but you can turn easy. I have a welded front and that's what I do.

That would be the same as not having a locker and running with both hubs locked!

Personally I would not run a locker in the front of a DD for 4wd snow driving. Even while drive straight if both tires spin you will loose any control that you might have with just one tire spinning. Even with the rear welded or locked they will both spin and then again you will loose control.

DesertZuki
01-06-2006, 11:03 PM
If you buy a good locker you shouldn't have any problems, they are designed to release on corners...I had a Lockright in the rear. When I had the stock motor, it would rarely engage and disengage when going around a corner. Once I put the 16v in, it did it almost constantly, dirt or asphalt, although it was more noticeable on the road. It was loud and abrupt enough that it became very nerve-wracking. It'd do it even when I feathered the accelerator.

I'd guess on snowy/icy roads, a locker in the front with one hub free and one hub locked would probably do pretty well. I'd also guess that the Detroit in the rear may give you some very unwanted surprises. But hey! It's all speculation on my part -- I don't live in snow country.

Itsmejoe231
01-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Let me clarify my comments. If it is offroad in the snow go for it. If this is just a DD and is driven in snow and ice, dont put a locker in the front. if you want to put lockers in for ocasional offroading then while driving on the road drive with one hub locked in snow and ice for DD'ing. This is not good for a locker to drive with just one hub locked either.

If this is just a DD and no offroading, better traction without locker on road with ice and snow.