PDA

View Full Version : EGR Valve blown out.

tamarack
07-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Hi all.

I have an 88.5 with the original motor, the EGR Valve had the end blown
out if it.
As it happens I purchased a used K601 and it came mounted on the intake
so I just bolted it on...

The problem is that after a couple of hours idle time (off and on as I worked it) and maybe 5 miles on the road testing the EGR valve blew out...

I had not looked at the valve that came with the manifold so I cant swear it was not about to break, but it seems kind of odd to me.

Is this failure a common thing and I just need to replace the EGR valve or do I have a problem with the motor that I need to address first?

Can I patch the end where it blew out or do I need to replace it?
I have a spare EGR valve, it was pretty cruddy with soot but the diaphram seems to work now that I cleaned it up.

Should I just put it on and hope or is there something I can do?

Also is this valve something that can be bypassed so it wont matter at all?

Please help!!

Thanks
Tam

john1974
07-10-2006, 11:35 AM
I never had this happen to any zuk I have owned, but if you live in a state where emmissions are not tested for. then you can bypass the valve.

Bull
07-10-2006, 11:44 AM
but if you live in a state where emmissions are not tested for. then you can bypass the valve.
As John said, trace the mounting surface of the old EGR valve on a piece of sheet metal, cut it out, cut a gasket for it to match, apply some RTV to both sides of the gasket and bolt on the plate (if you have no emissions testing smokin ).

ack
07-15-2006, 01:23 PM
One thing that you might want to consider is the possibility that the passage that runs across the rear of the head from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve is blocked by carbon. To check and clean it, you'll need to remove the exhaust manifold and run a piece of flexible wire through it (maybe a gun barrel cleaner brush?) followed by a squirt of solvent and another "swabbing" with a wire or brush. Either that or check the other hoses connected to the EGR valve for blockage. Something is causing that valve to break...

Hope this helps!

tamarack
07-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Thanks everyone.

I checked the valve out and it seems that the plug in the end of it (welsh plug) had rusted out. I is/was steel and I guess that sitting finally got to it.

I cleaned things off and plugged the hole with JB Weld.
SEEMS to be holding. If it fails I will just block it off.
Not only does Arkansas not have emmision testing, it does not even have
a vehicle inspection... :)

Thanks to those who responded.

Tam

zukinoobi
08-16-2006, 07:31 PM
And I for one am absolutely thrilled that the inspection days are gone - at least for now.

I remember what it was like trying to get ready for deer season and having to drag my camper to town to get it inspected - even though it was only on public roads while going to the inspection station - had to do it though, couldn't get license without it!smokin

zukinoobi

SpaCityZuki
08-16-2006, 07:44 PM
no emissions is great!:)