PDA

View Full Version : metro engine conversion

felixnstiches
05-16-2006, 02:16 AM
if anybody would like to know....here is a quick update so far.

had to change oil pan...the metro's engine's oil pan is way different
that also includes changeing the oil pick up tube

thought we could use the intake manifold but couldnt so had to disassemble the head to use the suzuki's head...everything fits right so now all we have to do is place the head back onto the block and tightin it down. the stick it all back in the suzuki otherwise we would have ot modify the distrubeter to work witht he suzukis, as well as modify the clutch bracket, and intake hoses.

as soon as we get done we will write up a how to just becauses this is a different engine swap

Strange
05-30-2006, 08:25 PM
geo metro 3 and four bangers bolt right up to sammy tranny dont they?

felixnstiches
06-03-2006, 01:08 AM
yea from the looks of it does. also everything lines up including the motor mounts. all i think i have to do is exchange the heads for the carb...and buy a eletric fuel pump cause on the metro its fuel injected...other then that i will post more topics about this. i am working on it tomorrow hopefully..anyways:happy rockonn rockonn

shanga_zuk
06-07-2006, 11:51 PM
What are the hp/torque numbers on the metro 4 cyl. motor vs. the sami? Just wondering? I am about to try to swap in a 2.4 Nissan and trans into mine. Looks like alot of work, but I hope not too hard.

felixnstiches
06-10-2006, 03:57 PM
The metro block fits inside the zook...switcing it to a carb, and going to put a head from a 86ish sammy...so its a bit different but i think it will work...the block fits perfectly...anyways i will get a picture up soon...if your from the bay area of california...messege me me and my friend john are looking for people to join the bay area zook club he started

oklazukguy
07-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Shanga....keep me posted on the Nissan swap. I have z24 out of an 85 Nissan 4wd, with the tranny. I was thinking of swapping in. Tranny and engine. Not sure how to make the engine run right without all of the smog crap, which I started ripping off when I was driving the Nissan. I would like to know how to make this 2.4 as simple as possibe, with the fewest about of wires, vaccum lines, etc. Also, want to get rid of the stock carb and exhaust. Where can I get headers and aftermarket carb for this engine? If anyone has any tips, PM me. Sorry if this is a Hijack.

felixnstiches
07-02-2006, 11:22 PM
this is no hyjack of the messege...its all good...quick update about me real quick...my project is done it is now out of the back yard and into the front yard all i have to get is an eletric fan for it....

now on to you

when i get the money i want to stuff from cal mini website...they have an awesome exhaust combo...aftermakrt carb would be easy to find but from what i heard the stock zook will work the best

Sally
07-03-2006, 12:43 AM
fuel injection works the best bigok

zukinoobi
07-12-2006, 02:56 AM
The metro block fits inside the zook...switcing it to a carb, and going to put a head from a 86ish sammy..

Alright, just like my handle says, I'm new at this... so careful with the snickering!

Felixnstitches, will both the 3 cyl and the 4 cyl bolt up to the zuk 5 speed? Do you know the approximate HP of each? Will they switch to carbs ok? I see quite a few Geo's out there at rock-bottom prices. Could one of them be a donor for my Sam?

And... Does anyone know of a site or source that lists the possible engine swaps for the Samurai? With all the zuk engines in all the zuk cars nowadays, there ought to be some that would drop into an old Samurai fairly easily. I'm sure someone has already researched this - but I haven't found their results yet.

Thanks,

zukinoobi

DesertZuki
07-12-2006, 09:56 AM
...there ought to be some that would drop into an old Samurai fairly easily... The Geo motors are generally considered better street/sand/mud motors because they do their best work in the high rpms.

Trac/Kick (Geo Tracker / Sidekick) conversions are probably the most common. I did a 16v (1.6 16 valve) out of a 96 Tracker. 96 and later is OBDII (on-board diagnostics two). It's a lot of wiring. I had to have help with it. This is supposed to be a 95 horsepower engine.

I've never done it. But I keep hearing the 8v (trac/kick 1.6 8valve) is the easiest swap - pre OBDII (pre 96). It doesn't have quite the horsepower of the 16v, but I've gone side by side with an 8v and I think it pulls just as good until you get up to highway speeds. (Don't know the horsepower off the top of my head.)

If you can get an injected motor, you're better off on the steep obstacles -- no sputter. They'll run when the zuk is on it's side (don't ask me how I know). If you get a carb'd motor, a propane conversion is an option. They will run at any angle too. And one of the vendors on this board, zorproducts (http://www.zukikrawlers.com/member.php?u=21), sells a fuel injection conversion.

TT (Trail Tough (http://www.trailtough.com/)) and other vendors sell adapters if you want to continue to use the Samurai transmission.

zukking01
07-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Sorry about the thread hijack.

Alright, just like my handle says, I'm new at this... so careful with the snickering!

Felixnstitches, will both the 3 cyl and the 4 cyl bolt up to the zuk 5 speed? Do you know the approximate HP of each? Will they switch to carbs ok? I see quite a few Geo's out there at rock-bottom prices. Could one of them be a donor for my Sam?

And... Does anyone know of a site or source that lists the possible engine swaps for the Samurai? With all the zuk engines in all the zuk cars nowadays, there ought to be some that would drop into an old Samurai fairly easily. I'm sure someone has already researched this - but I haven't found their results yet.

Thanks,

zukinoobi

First of all let me say WELCOME to the board. Dont worry about snickering here. We dont flame people like that pirate site I cant think of the name? :funny:

I have done the 1.6 8v engine and it was easy. I reused the stock carb and then upgraded :funny: to a weber :funny: :funny: (they suck for off road) I now have a ZORPRODUCTS My-fi and I love it. I can climb hills that are insane. My traction gives out and my engine still purrs. I have had it at 60 degrees and it was still purring. I would go for a 1.6 8v with My-fi if you cant do wiring but if you have help go with the 1.6 16v. The nice thing about a 8v is the hedder is fairly cheap and there is a cam avalable unlike the 16v. Any other questions just ask.

zukinoobi
07-14-2006, 10:31 PM
Thanks, everyone! And I'm sorry for having broken protocol (thread hijack). I'll try to be good (but I ain't promising any success!:-). Forgive me... and be with all those starvin' pygmies in New Zealand.

I looked up the My-FI. Looks very interesting! That looks like what I need. Problem is, I don't think I have enough aluminum cans collected. Looks like I might have to put my wife back to draggin' the ditches.

Thanks.

zukinoobi