PDA

View Full Version : Grinding 4x4 noise

Marshall
05-04-2006, 11:10 PM
My front end makes a grinding noise when in 4 wheel drive and only when coasting. Under acceleration no noise. It works just fine but the noise.

I just put in T-case gears and everything there is good. The noise was there before changing T-case gears.

The noise is upfront, diff? hubs? There is no vibration. I am not going to fix anything until it breaks just curious to see if anyone has ideas.

muskyslayr
05-05-2006, 06:59 AM
My front end makes a grinding noise when in 4 wheel drive and only when coasting. Under acceleration no noise. It works just fine but the noise.

I just put in T-case gears and everything there is good. The noise was there before changing T-case gears.

The noise is upfront, diff? hubs? There is no vibration. I am not going to fix anything until it breaks just curious to see if anyone has ideas.

I have the same problem... Only in 4wd and only when I let off the gas. If I'm accelerating its fine. I'm doing the same fix as you...turn up the radio...ha ha:happy

I will eventually be rebuilding my front axle housing like I the the rear, so I'll dig into it then...if it breaks before then, I guess I'll do it sooner...

Sally
05-05-2006, 08:45 AM
All in all, procrastination is the same as masturbation, you just end up screwing yourself!!! 2finger

Have you checked your wheel bearings? Front pinion play? Brakes hanging up?

muskyslayr
05-05-2006, 11:20 AM
All in all, procrastination is the same as masturbation, you just end up screwing yourself!!! 2finger

Have you checked your wheel bearings? Front pinion play? Brakes hanging up?

Let's see, wheel bearings, they turn all the time don't they? Brakes, they're either hung up or not too, right? So why would it be only when in 4wd smarty pants...2finger Besides, if you use your left hand it feels like somebody else is doing it...:jumping:

88islandzuki
05-05-2006, 02:12 PM
or you could sit on it till it's numb . (i think it's called the "stranger"):dance: :dance: :dance: :jumping:

College
05-05-2006, 03:11 PM
I've kinda got the same thing going on accept its coming from the t-case. The seal on the rear output is leaking and I think it got low on fluid. Everything works fin, but when I let off going over 50 theres a growling noise with a vibration. There is extra play in the input shaft when the tranny is in neutral so im guessing thats the problem. Not sure exactly what caused the extra play since it just kinda was there one day.

simplesam
05-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Let's see, wheel bearings, they turn all the time don't they?
Although front wheel bearings turn all the time, they often will not always make noise, given the situation. For example when the inner bearing is worn and not the outer the front wheel camber typically changes, causing the inner bearing to make noise as the weight of the wheel is on it, then when applying the brakes the pressure of the pads on the rotor causes the wheel to straighten (taking pressure off the bearing) and the noise goes away. I have seen multiple occassions when customers would come in complaining about mysterious brake noise grinding that goes away when applying brakes.
Similar could be said of the front diff, forward pressure under load vs off load changes the thrust weight on either side of the bearings, translates into sometimes noise sometimes not.

Either way I agree with Sally neglecting it only means bigger/more expensive problems.

and for my money the "sock method" feels like fur lined :shocked!:

muskyslayr
05-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Well if nothing else this thread is providing an education on different methods of "procrastination"...nonon

Sally
05-05-2006, 04:10 PM
what sam was talking about is what I meant. I just don't have that hi class edjeumacation he does. Usually when there is a noise it's a sign of bad things. which will only get worse Don't you want to be spending all your time on the member of the month Not fixing your broken ZUk? I know you have the skills to check those easy things out. They might not be the problem but never hurts to check. I have seen your wheeling pics but when was the last time you checked your bearings? I don't wanna have to tow you off the trails at the melt cause of a stinking broken 10$ wheel bearing. smokin

or you could sit on it till it's numb . (i think it's called the "stranger")

:angry: You are correct sir per the NWS terms and slang thread. SO I'm changing the name to the 88islandzuki since you thought of it and will add it.

Marshall
05-07-2006, 08:32 PM
After some hard wheeling this weekend the noise is gone bigok

Itsmejoe231
05-07-2006, 09:34 PM
My vote is on the pinion bearing. But if you guys dont fix it we will never know. :-)

DesertZuki
05-07-2006, 11:22 PM
x2

joshjohnbaun
05-08-2006, 12:16 AM
ah its gone.. maybe it was a rock or something bunged up in there?