PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt replacement question.

dirtyzuk
05-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Okay guys, Im with out my trusty Samurai repair manual and Im in the middle of replacing the timing belt. Now I have the fan and fan pulley off, and I believe all the bolts to the timing belt cover. Now do I have to remove the crank pulley as well? If so how did you get yours off? Any tips / tricks with out having to use a pulley puller? If a pulley puller is needed are they all pretty much universal?
If the crank pulley does not need to be removed, what am I missing and why cant I just pull the cover off?
I did a search on this topic and did not find anything to answer my question. But I did hear people say it was easy. So why am I have such a hard time with it? LOL

Thanks for any help / advise you might have.

HotWrench4hire
05-01-2006, 09:40 PM
that pully should come off ez, i cant remember if it has to come off or not? just wanted to say you might want to change cam and crank seal's while you are in there, just did mine, thay will leak like crazy, and ez to change,only about 10 bucks extra

holeshot
05-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Yes you will need to remove the crank pully to get the timming cover off. and no, you do NOT need a puller. Remove the 4, 6mm bolts in the center of the pully, do not remove the one large bolt. and the pully will almost fall off in your hands.

madzukr
05-01-2006, 10:35 PM
after you get it apart,you'll want to check that lower timing belt gear for loosness.if it is loose you need to check the key and keyway in the crankshaft,and replace them.

dirtyzuk
05-02-2006, 01:14 AM
Martyman thanks for the advise with the new seals, Ill get some in the morning.
Holeshot - That might explain why mine hasnt come off yet.I only removed 2 (but Im surprised that I did not see the other 2). Ill have to take a closer look at it in the morning. I hope its as simple as me being blind.

Madzukr, or anyone, what is the key and Keyway

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

madzukr
05-02-2006, 01:34 AM
the key and keyway are what hold the lower timing gear in line on the end of the crankshaft, and that big bolt holds it in place.
if that gear comes loose and can with high mileage engine.it will wollow out the key way on the crankshaft.it's alot cheaper to replace that lower gear and key.(the key is a half moon shaped peice of metal that rides in a slot on the gear and crankshaft)
i've had this happen twice on 2 differant engines.
the lower timeing gear is what the pully is bolted too with those 6mm bolts holeshot was refering too.

Martyman thanks for the advise with the new seals, Ill get some in the morning.
Holeshot - That might explain why mine hasnt come off yet.I only removed 2 (but Im surprised that I did not see the other 2). Ill have to take a closer look at it in the morning. I hope its as simple as me being blind.

Madzukr, or anyone, what is the key and Keyway

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

dirtyzuk
05-02-2006, 11:01 AM
madzukr - thanks for the explanation, that makes sense to me know.

So here is the quick update: I went out this morning before work and found the 2 remaining bolts on the crank pulley. I guess I really was that blind. Although poor lighting Im sure played apart of it. I used my hands this time to feel it vs my eyes to see it. Hahaha, go figure.

Thanks again for all your help guys.

the key and keyway are what hold the lower timing gear in line on the end of the crankshaft, and that big bolt holds it in place.
if that gear comes loose and can with high mileage engine.it will wollow out the key way on the crankshaft.it's alot cheaper to replace that lower gear and key.(the key is a half moon shaped peice of metal that rides in a slot on the gear and crankshaft)
i've had this happen twice on 2 differant engines.
the lower timeing gear is what the pully is bolted too with those 6mm bolts holeshot was refering too.

the hankster
07-03-2006, 09:39 PM
I just replaced the timing belt on my 93 Sammi. With all the lights on in the garage (flourescent tubes and incadecent and track light) I still had trouble seeing everythingin the engine compartment. I didn't have a drop light so I used one of the flashlights you wear on your head and it worked like a charm. I also put a tarp down under the engine compartment to catch all the screws and bolts i dropped. This makes them much easier to find if your eyes are like mine.

john1974
07-13-2006, 02:20 PM
ya its held on by 4 bolts 10mm and they not bad to get out, once u get them out take rubber hammer and gently tap pully if u cant pull it off allrdy by hand. it will pop right off.

ack
07-15-2006, 01:09 PM
ya its held on by 4 bolts 10mm and they not bad to get out, once u get them out take rubber hammer and gently tap pully if u cant pull it off allrdy by hand. it will pop right off.

Just to clarify for those who might run across this post in a search:

It is NOT necessary to remove the large crank bolt in order to remove the timing belt cover!

As discussed above, the accessory pulley - sometimes incorrectly called the harmonic balancer pulley because it does not actually function as a harmonic balancer on Suzuki engines) - on the end of the crank is held in place by 4 - 10mm bolts. 1.6 engines have 5 - 10mm bolts. Although they are a pain to get to, they can be removed with a 3/8th inch socket. a 1/2 inch socket is big for the confined space but can be used too.

Removing the 17mm bolt on the end of the crank can lead to all kinds of unpleasantry including breaking the bolt and, by not properly torqueing it down, causing the key to wallow the keyway leading to rough engine running and ultimately crankshaft repair/replacement.

Hope this helps!

zukinoobi
07-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Removing the 17mm bolt on the end of the crank can lead to all kinds of unpleasantry ...Hope this helps!

That seems to be where I am at the moment, up to my eyeballs in unpleasantry - trying to get the crank bolt out so I can pull the lower timing gear to get to the oil pump to replace the crank seal...! Whew!

I seriously need to know 1) is this bolt standard thread or left hand thread - I can't get it to move either direction! and 2) how in the world do I hold the gear while I try and remove the bolt? :???:

Thanks for all ideas -

zukinoobi

madzukr
07-31-2006, 05:45 PM
That seems to be where I am at the moment, up to my eyeballs in unpleasantry - trying to get the crank bolt out so I can pull the lower timing gear to get to the oil pump to replace the crank seal...! Whew!

I seriously need to know 1) is this bolt standard thread or left hand thread - I can't get it to move either direction! and 2) how in the world do I hold the gear while I try and remove the bolt? :???:

Thanks for all ideas -

zukinoobi

1)i think that bolt is still LH thread.
2)i hold it with the timming belt.
if that bolt has not been off before,it will be an "sob" maybe some heat,or steady pressure on the bolt and tap it a hammer to help break the factory thread loc loose.