PDA

View Full Version : Reverse shackle with stock YJ springs

BOFF
04-30-2006, 08:16 PM
Going to add some Yota axles to the sami. If I do a SPOA reverse shackle and use stock yj springs, which springs are used for the front and rear of the sami? Can i put the rear yj springs in the rear of the sami, and the front yj springs in the front of the sami, or do I need two sets of yj rears or two sets of yj fronts for the shackle reversal. Just wanting to know, as I located a set of front and rear yj springs, but don't want to buy the set if I can't use all of it. Also thinking of buying the 2.5 leaf spring hangers as a pair for $28.00 from Ruffstuff Specialties, and buying the rear shackle hangers from Marlin Crawler for $35.00 instead of a pre-made kit for $250 and up. Hope it's ok to list the names of the companies, if not let me know and I'll delete em. Any ideas, input, from those that have done a yj reverse shackle? If you want to have further info on the build, and my plans for the Tintop, please see the intro page. Thanks in advance, God Bless, David B.

Itsmejoe231
04-30-2006, 08:52 PM
The set of YJ's you have your eye on will work. We dont mind you posting the names of the places you buy stuff, we might want to buy the same stuff. :mrgreen:

BOFF
04-30-2006, 09:01 PM
The set of YJ's you have your eye on will work. We dont mind you posting the names of the places you buy stuff, we might want to buy the same stuff. :mrgreen:

Soo, do you use the front YJs in the front of the sami, or the rear YJs in the front of the sami?

Itsmejoe231
04-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Soo, do you use the front YJs in the front of the sami, or the rear YJs in the front of the sami?

Sorry forgot about that question. Yes, use the front on the front and the rear on the rear. If you go spring over, you will eventually have to address axle wrap.

germ
05-01-2006, 01:28 AM
Whats up Boff I'm from alabama I down in t-town some, right beside you. I'm getting everything ready for my tintop.

BOFF
05-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Whats up Boff I'm from alabama I down in t-town some, right beside you. I'm getting everything ready for my tintop.

SWEET!!!! Glad to know I have someone locally for input. You ought to be Zuki pro by now having 4 of em!!!

germ
05-06-2006, 03:30 AM
yeah I have four of them but no time and money to work on them. I have just about everything for my tin top build so maybe I will start working on it soon. I'm going to t-town sunday for alittle while pm me your phone # and I might be able to ride over and check out your ride.

BOFF
05-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Germ,
Pmd ya!!

bigflex
05-07-2006, 11:01 PM
i wouldnt recomend doing a shackle reversal on any set up that would be takin off road anymore than lite trails. it is better for on road predictability but not so great for offroad. and Joe answered your other ? hope this helps
and again :welcome:

BOFF
05-07-2006, 11:14 PM
i wouldnt recomend doing a shackle reversal on any set up that would be takin off road anymore than lite trails. it is better for on road predictability but not so great for offroad. and Joe answered your other ? hope this helps
and again :welcome:

Hummm, your one of the few people who have spoken up and said "No" to a S/R. Can you please give me the reasons you are against the S/R. You tell me not to do it, but I'd like to know why not. Not attempting to be a smart @$$, just gathering info to where I can make a intelligent decision. Thanks in advance. popcornn

bigflex
05-07-2006, 11:57 PM
ok well it will reduce flex first off! thats never good in my book. then theres the fact that you will have more drive line problems. its a geometry thing really. with the shackle up front the axle will rotate the pinion up as you get more droop. with a s/r you lose pinion angle withe more droop. am i making sense? with the loss of pinion angle at full droop you will be putting you d/s and u-joints into a bind with unwanted stress. although it really will depend on how much twisting up you plan on doing. and how much $ your willing to spend on d/s's with a shackle revresal i stongly would recomend cv shafts.
i hope this helps you to make an informed decision. or at least gives you a better understanding of where im coming frombigok

BOFF
05-08-2006, 08:27 AM
ok well it will reduce flex first off! thats never good in my book. then theres the fact that you will have more drive line problems. its a geometry thing really. with the shackle up front the axle will rotate the pinion up as you get more droop. with a s/r you lose pinion angle withe more droop. am i making sense? with the loss of pinion angle at full droop you will be putting you d/s and u-joints into a bind with unwanted stress. although it really will depend on how much twisting up you plan on doing. and how much $ your willing to spend on d/s's with a shackle revresal i stongly would recomend cv shafts.
i hope this helps you to make an informed decision. or at least gives you a better understanding of where im coming frombigok

Well, I was aware of the drive shaft, and needing extra slip, but unaware of reducing flex. I thought from all the other info I have read the flex was great!! Due to the S/R the front wheel stayed in contact with the ground more, working with the rear wheels better. With a S/R the front wheel against an obstacle attempting to go over it, is pushed away from the obstacle rather than towards it, while the other tires continue forward. Was planning on using a yota cv front drive shaft. I guess I need to do some more studying. whip

GotDovetail?
05-08-2006, 09:41 AM
i did the S/R and have had no major issues with my dsahft, i extended it and carry spare ujoints in case, but have not had to replace one yet.knock on wood. it flexes like crazy and you dont beat the hell out of your shackles, check this out

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/roktex/Project%20JR%20truck/finalstage010.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/roktex/trees%20ranch%20easter/588e0a64.jpg

i say do it. whip and if you get a chance run m/l in the rear with a track bar.

GotDovetail?
05-08-2006, 09:41 AM
i did the S/R and have had no major issues with my dshaft, i extended it and carry spare ujoints in case, but have not had to replace one yet.knock on wood. it flexes like crazy and you dont beat the hell out of your shackles, check this out

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/roktex/Project%20JR%20truck/finalstage010.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/roktex/trees%20ranch%20easter/588e0a64.jpg

i say do it. whip and if you get a chance run m/l in the rear with a track bar.