PDA

View Full Version : running hot

88islandzuki
04-29-2006, 11:54 PM
how can you tell if your water pump is working ?

should the hose have pressure when you feel it

how can i test my fan? ... drive it till its hot , stop hop out and give it a spin? can i heat it up with a torch then spin it (probably not the brightest idea) .

i can drive around town to work and on trails fine. but as soon as i get on the highway it starts to get hot. removed the thermostat ,flushed the cooling system, hosed down the rad (it was kinda full of shat ) put in some water wetter stuff. then went for a burn and it did seem better but i'm not sure . i'll find out tomorrow.:angry: :confused:

Itsmejoe231
04-30-2006, 12:28 AM
When the engine is cool take the radiator cap off and start the engine. you should be able to see the water flowing if you dont have a thermostat. If you still have a thermostat you will have to wait till it opens to see a flow. Most of the time when the water pump goes bad there is a small weep hole on it and it will leak out fluid. I have chased down every possibility for a engine running hot. I have had the same problems in the past.

To check the thermostat you can remove it and put it in an pot of water and and boil it. watch it just before the water boils it should open. I think the stock thermostat is around 180* F.

Other things to do are: Check your timing, check the gap in the spark plugs, check the cap to make sure it is sealing, pressure test the entire system. If it cannot pressure up it will boil at a lower temperature.

If you have the brass radiator you can clean it out with Muratic acid. It is the acid you put in the swimming pool and can be found at most places that sell pool supplies. You will have to take the radiator out so no acid will get to your block cause acid and alluminum do not go well together. Put a safe mixture in the radiator and let it sit a few minutes. Watch the stuff come out. You will be amazed what comes out. The best way would be laying it on its side and treating it and then treat it again on the other side.

I finally bought a new radiator and put on a flex fan from petroworks. I have not seen it on their website lateley so I think it is discontinued.

88islandzuki
04-30-2006, 12:55 AM
hmmm thanks when you say flowing like moving around if i give it some gas it should bubble out..... right? did you get a larger rad? i thought the sammi had a flex fan ?

Itsmejoe231
04-30-2006, 01:14 AM
you should be able to see the water moving around.

I got a aftermarket radiator specific to the Samurai and yes it is a little bit bigger but not much and it is alluminum.

Samurai' have a clutch fan that is suposed to ingage when the temperature gets higher. The flex fan is a solid mount fan that spins with the motor.

madzukr
04-30-2006, 10:40 AM
as joe said,if you don't have a t-stat in you can look for fluid movement in your radiator.here(AZ) if you don't run a t-stat it will run hot or over heat.it is desinged to slow the water flow to give it time to cool off before cycleing.
to test your fan,with the engine cool and off,spin the fan it should move pretty freely.then heat up the engine and spin it again(engine off)it should not spin freely,if it does your fan clutch is bad.
it sounds like a bad waterpump.when driving slow it don't have to pump that much water,but on the freeway your fan does nothing anyway because of the air flow at hi speeds,and with no water flow in will run hot.
if none of this aplies,i've had a bad gauge.
good luck and let us know.

how can you tell if your water pump is working ?

should the hose have pressure when you feel it

how can i test my fan? ... drive it till its hot , stop hop out and give it a spin? can i heat it up with a torch then spin it (probably not the brightest idea) .

i can drive around town to work and on trails fine. but as soon as i get on the highway it starts to get hot. removed the thermostat ,flushed the cooling system, hosed down the rad (it was kinda full of shat ) put in some water wetter stuff. then went for a burn and it did seem better but i'm not sure . i'll find out tomorrow.:angry: :confused:

purevil71
04-30-2006, 02:00 PM
I would suggest draining and flushing the system. I had a lot of crap in mine when I first got it and it would get really hot on trail runs.

After I flused everything it's been working well even since.

88islandzuki
04-30-2006, 10:35 PM
already flushed it . i didnt know that you needed a thermostat but i guess its there for a reason. is it possible to fix the fan if thats the problem.? did the plugs there fine. also correct me if i'm wrong but i believe water under pressure boils at a lower temperature.. i've also tried a couple different t-stats..... i'll keep on it thanks guys..

Itsmejoe231
04-30-2006, 10:49 PM
already flushed it . i didnt know that you needed a thermostat but i guess its there for a reason. is it possible to fix the fan if thats the problem.? did the plugs there fine. also correct me if i'm wrong but i believe water under pressure boils at a lower temperature.. i've also tried a couple different t-stats..... i'll keep on it thanks guys..

I have heard of people taking apart the clutch fan on a Samurai and removing the gel that is inside and filling it with sylicone so it becomes stiff like a flex fan. Also have heard of people drilling holes and bolting it where it becomes a solid connection like a flex fan. May be something to experiment with.

Water at higher pressure boils at a higher temperature. You might be thinking of altitude.

http://www.iapws.org/faq1/boil.htm

TX_ZUKI
04-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Your water pump might look like this! :shocked!:

http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/albums/Samurai/shiny_new_001.sized.jpg

purevil71
05-02-2006, 11:02 AM
The water pump on my FJ40 froze up and exploded because it looked like that.
Nasty little mess that was!!!

88islandzuki
05-04-2006, 02:42 AM
i was lookin at my water pump and its got some crust kinda around the seal . it was loose at one time and i also put some of that bars leak crap in there when my rad had a little leak. holds water fine now also checked my t-stat and it works fine. pretty sure my temp gauge is fubared it works but i dont think its correct.
havent really had a chance to see if its any better but it seems better . maybe i'll take er for a test tomorrow. oh ya one more thing when you spin your fan when its hot how much resistance should there be . pretty sure my fan is poo. anyone done the silicone thing that can give me feedback? and with a flexfan does it rob you of much power?

Sally
05-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Before you do the silicone thing. If you think your fan is bad put out a wanted thread. You can get one shipped for around 20$US mabye cheaper.
I couldn't get 10$ on ebay for one.

88islandzuki
05-06-2006, 09:58 PM
i may have this licked . went for a burn today and she seemed to stay pretty cool.

muskyslayr
05-07-2006, 07:53 AM
To check the thermostat you can remove it and put it in an pot of water and and boil it. watch it just before the water boils it should open. I think the stock thermostat is around 180* F.

Throw in some taters and carots and make yerself some nice thermostat soup...:dance:

Sally
05-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Throw in some taters and carots and make yerself some nice thermostat soup...:dance:
:happy He forgot to add a cup of salt into the rad to bring the boil temp up.