PDA

View Full Version : need advice... on flex

ZukPirate
04-28-2006, 07:40 PM
I recently bought a 87 sami, soft top. so far have gone thru motor / tranny / case (stock gearing) f / r ends... cage built, paint, seats, tunes, etc...

only thing left is some flex...

it's still spring under... and i'm not looking for mad lift either. i'm running 29inch super swampers sx's and really don't plan to run anything larger on the stock axles... it's my daily driver & weekend wheeler.

it's got a rear spool. and so far... seems the only thing it needs is some flex.

any suggestions? prices / kits or someone close by me with some get r done experience? i'm located in Olympia WA

Itsmejoe231
04-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Holeshot lives in WA somewhere and probably has the most getter done experiance in your state. He has a write up on here that is called "basic spring over" check it out. http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=174

zachatola
04-28-2006, 10:25 PM
holeshot is very knowledgeable in zuks, he has helped me a ton with my build. If it was me i would just do a spring over on your stock axles and get some spacers for the drivelines and go wheel it. Holeshot made some very cool lengthened drivelines in a post i think on here, but if you dont have access to a welder i would just buy some spacers. Should give you a good amount of flex and will allow you to clear your tires a good amount. Im sure he can help you out a lot more, but with 29-30 inch tires i wouldn’t do much more than a spring over. If i remember right i heard 31's were as big as you could go with stock springs and a SOA. Sorry im not of much more help, im still at the start of my build also on my 86.

holeshot
04-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Thanks guys for the props.

I live in Puyallup on south hill and could help you out with anything you need.

Heres a Zuki I put a set of rear springs on the front axle and built a set of missing link shackels. This Zuki is also on 29'' tires.
Is this the kind of flex your looking for?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/ironcrow/100_0311.jpg

Heres the link to the R.U.F build I did.

http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=523

Send me a pm if you need some help.

purevil71
04-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Goofy Leafs :jumping:

ZukPirate
04-30-2006, 12:32 AM
can i stay where i'am at now... and just add longer shocks / new shock mounts... longer breaklines, and driveshaft spacers or ??? and get flex outta what i got.

i'm trying to wheel this sami as it is for the summer. then decide if i cut it up into a buggy or let it go to someone else.

seems i could go w/ 512's R & P's / lower case gears and theres already a spool in the rear. throw a winch on the front and should be one hell of a fun little rig.

so, is it possible?

i have a lincoln 135 welder & can lay a bead perty good. is it doable. could i get a little flex outta just re-locating my shock mounts / adding longer break lines / and throwing in some spacers for drive lines?

------------------------------------ THANKS FOR ANY ANSWERS.

bigflex
04-30-2006, 12:42 AM
well id have to say no on that because the shocks arent really what is keepin a stock sami from flexing. with the axle above the leafs you dont get that much spring deflection and the space between the axle/bumpstop is minimal at best. i would say just do a spring over and call it a day. either that or put a set of missing link shackles on it all the way arround and some longer shocks. oh and if you still have a front sway bar! through it in the nearest trashcan. they do nothing but hender the flex you crave! just my 2 cents.
bigok

purevil71
04-30-2006, 02:39 PM
You can also open up the little baands on the springs that keeps them from opening up all the way. I just go out once a month or so if I've been wheeling/driving it a lot and make sure they are together like there supposed to be.

ZukPirate
04-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Just odered the Rocky Road Deluxe SPOA set-up w/ OTT steering & the rest of the works. a Calmini 5.14.1 set of transfercase gears and a Trail Tough mighty kong mount... now i just need a winch... and some trails to run.

i'll throw up some pic's, when it's all put together... w/ a little mud on it!

thanks for the reply's guys.

DesertZuki
05-01-2006, 11:47 AM
I'll be curious to know how the RRO lift kit works for you...

HardLuk
05-01-2006, 03:25 PM
ZukPirate

Just odered the Rocky Road Deluxe SPOA set-up w/ OTT steering & the rest of the works. a Calmini 5.14.1 set of transfercase gears and a Trail Tough mighty kong mount...

You will have a good rig when all this stuff is added (lots more flex than stock)...I had a RRO SPOA with Calmini SR and 31x10.5 and flexed nicely w/no rubbing (granted 2" extra lift than yours)...
Curious why you didn't go with the Calmini Heavy Duty Transfercase Mount seeing it's cheaper...Definately can't go wrong with TT mighty kong, though..

I ordered the Calmini x-case Mount and it is very nice...much different looking than the pic on their website.

Nate

ZukPirate
05-01-2006, 04:41 PM
ZukPirate

You will have a good rig when all this stuff is added (lots more flex than stock)...I had a RRO SPOA with Calmini SR and 31x10.5 and flexed nicely w/no rubbing (granted 2" extra lift than yours)...
Curious why you didn't go with the Calmini Heavy Duty Transfercase Mount seeing it's cheaper...Definately can't go wrong with TT mighty kong, though..

I ordered the Calmini x-case Mount and it is very nice...much different looking than the pic on their website.

Nate

I try not to bash on Calmini / or / Rocky Road... i do however get a kick outta the two, they seem to continue to still be at war w/ each other though.
I've wheeled sami's in the past, almost 3 years ago. just recently aquired a new one. and was / the plan was... to wheel it all summer long in stock form.

but, i just can't wait to build. i like to start threads and see what kinda answers i get.... from others. theres always some guy / gal that seems to re-invent the suspension idea somehow / someway different.

but i've ran Sami's spoa before and they seem to be unstoppable in that build.
so i'll just get a traction bar to avoid rear spring wrap & call it done.
of course, anyones offroader is trully never done, is it?

smokin

muskyslayr
05-02-2006, 06:33 PM
I try not to bash on Calmini / or / Rocky Road... i do however get a kick outta the two, they seem to continue to still be at war w/ each other though.
I've wheeled sami's in the past, almost 3 years ago. just recently aquired a new one. and was / the plan was... to wheel it all summer long in stock form.

but, i just can't wait to build. i like to start threads and see what kinda answers i get.... from others. theres always some guy / gal that seems to re-invent the suspension idea somehow / someway different.

but i've ran Sami's spoa before and they seem to be unstoppable in that build.
so i'll just get a traction bar to avoid rear spring wrap & call it done.
of course, anyones offroader is trully never done, is it?

smokin

Preach on brother...:happy They're never done...

ZukPirate
05-03-2006, 02:40 AM
Preach on brother...:happy They're never done...

You'd think by now... they would have Merged... and became the #1 Zuk aftermarket parts... but they still hash it out... kinda funnay huh. oh'well.