PDA

View Full Version : Body Lift??

SamuraiZR2
04-27-2006, 11:28 AM
I never hear anyone speaking of a body lift on a Sami. I mean I understand some of the pros and cons of them, but do many use them or what?? And would it help or hurt me over all if I went with one??

Billjohn
04-27-2006, 12:42 PM
I searched because I thought I had answered this once before, but no dice. Must have been somewhere else.

{start rant}
There are only two legit reasons to use a body lift and not get laughed at.

1. You are installing a drivetrain that won't fit below the hood/tranny tunnel and you need to increase the working room without cutting said hood/tranny tunnel.
2. there is no #2...

If you want to stuff bigger tires underneath, you do your research and raise/replace the suspension or do a virtual lift (cutting the fenders). This doesn't really rate enough to be #2.
{end rant}

*note*
I have had a 2" body lift on my garage shelf for the last 4 years and I still have not found a reason to use it on either of my rigs.

madzukr
04-27-2006, 12:55 PM
to keep your receipts and paper work from flying off the shelf.:funny:

*note*
I have had a 2" body lift on my garage shelf for the last 4 years and I still have not found a reason to use it on either of my rigs.

SamuraiZR2
04-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Roger that, thanks

joshjohnbaun
04-27-2006, 01:29 PM
yea, ive heard they only create weak points if not needed, only thing would be if you do the 16v 1.6 swap and dont get the lower motor mounts and ya cant close the hood?

elotsip
04-27-2006, 02:25 PM
I don't like them either. I bought new petroworks motor mounts just so I didn't have to run a body lift when I did my 1.6l swap.

Billjohn
04-27-2006, 03:43 PM
yea, ive heard they only create weak points if not needed, only thing would be if you do the 16v 1.6 swap and dont get the lower motor mounts and ya cant close the hood?

Even in this case you can use just the thicker front body mounts and it fixes the problem without lifting the whole body. TT includes these mounts with their 16v kit.

TX_ZUKI
04-27-2006, 03:57 PM
I don't like them either. I bought new petroworks motor mounts just so I didn't have to run a body lift when I did my 1.6l swap.
That's what I used and no body lift needed!

Sally
04-27-2006, 04:22 PM
2. there is no #2...

#2 Sure makes working on stuff underneath a lot easier.
Same goes with cleaning underneath the body /on top of tranny, t case ,gas tank etc.

#3 on efi models the computer will be up 2"s higher

#4 allows the for the use of a taller radiator

I will never laugh at anyone with a body lift even if the only reason they installed it was for tire clearance. On my last truck i actually went from a 2" to a 3" body lift for more clearance. Without having to change the body lines at the fenders.

madzukr
04-27-2006, 05:01 PM
shame on you:-P more suspintion lift and bigger tires makes it easier to work underneath
i know a guy that run a 3in on his ramcharger and ripped his from the body.when we went to remount it it had wallowed the mount on the frame too.

#2 Sure makes working on stuff underneath a lot easier.
Same goes with cleaning underneath the body /on top of tranny, t case ,gas tank etc.

#3 on efi models the computer will be up 2"s higher

#4 allows the for the use of a taller radiator

I will never laugh at anyone with a body lift even if the only reason they installed it was for tire clearance. On my last truck i actually went from a 2" to a 3" body lift for more clearance. Without having to change the body lines at the fenders.

Sally
04-27-2006, 06:41 PM
shame on you:-P more suspension lift and bigger tires makes it easier to work underneath.

I have no problems getting under a stocker with my boney a$$2finger
What I meant was, it allows for easier removal of the transmission, drive shaft bolts, fifth and reverse switch replacement, fuel pump testing etc...

joshjohnbaun
04-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Even in this case you can use just the thicker front body mounts and it fixes the problem without lifting the whole body. TT includes these mounts with their 16v kit.

ah well thats good to know, thanks for the info! im lookin to do a motor swap this summer if I have eanough $$$ after the toyota axels

Sky Hook Zuker
04-27-2006, 11:01 PM
I am currently running a 3" body lift. I had to modify my shift lever to save my nuckels from the radio.

I do not like it and will be removing it soon and goind to YJ SPOA.

Froad'r
04-28-2006, 12:17 AM
I had a body lift..... note:had

It sure Looked dumb!