PDA

View Full Version : Best suspension components/kits

SamuraiZR2
04-26-2006, 08:30 PM
As some of you know, I'm in the process of trying to lift my Samurai. What are the best suspension componets/kits to buy???? I see on another thread where ya'll are somewhat of bashing Calmini...so I'm just curious before I go out and buy something that isn't worth flip.

Billjohn
04-26-2006, 08:59 PM
The best suspension is the one that works best with your trails and your driving style. I have gone through no less than 9 different setups, and I think I may have found the one that fits ME best.
I know that doesn't help much, but it is the truth.

SamuraiZR2
04-26-2006, 09:07 PM
I understand what you mean though.

Itsmejoe231
04-26-2006, 09:29 PM
discribe your sammy and what you intend it to do. Is is going to be a daily driver with some offroad? is it just a trail rig only? If so is it going to be rocks, mud, both. I feel that if you just want mud most any kit will work but if you are going to do rocks then there are different suspensions out there to suit you. Bill is right about the best suspension lift being the one that fits you and your habbits, so if you tell us what you want to do with your sammy, there will be someone on here with simular habbits and can tell you what works for them.

But, for all around best if you are going to buy one, it would be the Trail-Tough kit. I have never owned one but see it perform on and off road it is just better. Not only is there suspension good there customer service is great.

SamuraiZR2
04-26-2006, 10:54 PM
well, due to the terrain where I live... I will be primarily in mud...but I enjoy playing on rocks when I get the chance. So, I'd say its about 75% mud, 25% rocks. And this is strickly a trail rig. I never plan to ride it on the road (unless its just up the road to hit a trail or something).

Itsmejoe231
04-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Now it depends on how much money you want to spend. (sorry I did not include this question earlier) There are members here that can do a SPOA lift for under $50 and then there are the kits. This will require some welding. Then there are the kits that can cost from around $400- $1000.

I am still leaning towards the Trail tough YJ kit. :mrgreen:

azhuntnut
04-27-2006, 12:45 AM
I just installed a SPOA and YJ conversion kit from SKY manufacturing and everything went together very well. All the brackets are strong and bolt right into place. If you do the SPOA, try to do the highsteer arms at the same time. David

HardLuk
04-27-2006, 04:51 AM
Can't really state the TT YJ kit (Missing Links all-around) is the best suspension kit out there, but having just installed it last weekend by myself I have to say parts are very stout...Great fitment and IMHO great looking...the kit moved my front axle forward two inches which looks really neat from the side of the truck and lines the tie rod up perfectly with the pitman arm for a parallel draglink and tie rod arrangment...Also very flexy and comfortable bump handling ability.
Sadly....Have not/cannot drive the truck so I haven't got a chance to truly feel/check out the suspension cycling other than rolling down the driveway hitting the driveway curb bump...
Excellent bump soakup, though...
My 02

SamuraiZR2
04-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I like the looks and stuff of the TT YJ kit. Anyone got any pictures of that set up???? Just curious. Also as sorta a heads up. I'm looking to fit 31s right now and eventually move up to 33s or maybe even 35s.

Billjohn
04-27-2006, 12:31 PM
http://www.zukikrawlers.com/albums/Trail-Rig/P2081767.jpg

elotsip
04-27-2006, 02:31 PM
I also have the TT YJ kit. I love it. The sammy drive great on the highway (for a sammy) and perfromes great off road.

Here's a pic of my sammy running 33x14 boggers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/elotsip/IMGA0136.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/elotsip/Trucks/snow%20run%2002-06/IMGA0034.jpg

Billjohn, what flares are those? They look pretty good.

Billjohn
04-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Billjohn, what flares are those? They look pretty good.

Stock flares on the later models. They are the steel flares. I just had to do a little 'clearancing' up front to make room for the tires to tuck up so high after moving the axle forward. :dance:

SamuraiZR2
04-27-2006, 09:02 PM
OK I have just found me 4 YJ leafs for $120. What does it take to do a YJ conversion????? I don't have a welder yet. SOOOO... will this be something I need to wait on or what???

Billjohn
04-27-2006, 09:39 PM
The Trail Tough kit is bolt-on... no welding needed.

SamuraiZR2
04-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Is it a SPOA or is it Under??

Billjohn
04-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Your choice. I run mine SPOA, but it would be cool to try it SPUA.

SamuraiZR2
04-27-2006, 10:27 PM
I don't think it would work spring over. Not the way the kit looks. I mean I'm just looking at the YJ conversion stuff not the full lift kit. I mean if I could do spring over with it.. I'd be set. but I dont think you can.

Billjohn
04-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Uh... Charlie...
Mine is a spring over conversion (SPOA).

SamuraiZR2
04-27-2006, 11:07 PM
ok

HardLuk
04-28-2006, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by SamuraiZR2

I don't think it would work spring over. Not the way the kit looks. I mean I'm just looking at the YJ conversion stuff not the full lift kit. I mean if I could do spring over with it.. I'd be set. but I dont think you can.

I'm with Billjohn being my truck is SPOA...Best way to clear 33's or possibly 35's with as little fender hacking as possible and take full advantage of YJ springs...SPUA would be cool with virtual lift and 35's or bigger (Lower CG), but I like the snow way too much so I wanted to go SPOA for the clean look and clearance...Whatever is clever, do it to it.

Oh, by the way I have all sorts of pictures, but can't figure out how to upload them or do the QUOTE thing right.

NOT trying to hijack this thread, but ANY advice on what to do about uploading pics and using quotes and I will post up some of my TTYJ ML pics..

Nate

elotsip
04-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Mine is also spring over axle. Works great. A spring under axles on some lift YJ springs would be pretty cool though me thinks...

holeshot
04-29-2006, 12:22 AM
The Trail Tough kit is bolt-on... no welding needed.

That is not entirely true. For you to take full advantage of the YJ springs and missing links you will need to install long travel shocks. So you will have to weld on new upper and lower shock mounts.

But, yes you could bolt everything esle on.

Billjohn
04-29-2006, 12:25 AM
That is not entirely true. For you to take full advantage of the YJ springs and missing links you will need to install long travel shocks. So you will have to weld on new upper and lower shock mounts.

But, yes you could bolt everything esle on.

Ok, ya got me there. I didn't remember that part. I already had long travel shocks when I did my conversion. The good part is you can still drive it down to your local welder to add the shock mounts once the rest is done (if you don't have a welder).bigok

BobA
05-04-2006, 04:22 PM
So what does this ttyj kit cost and where do ya buy it from?

RIVERZUK
05-04-2006, 05:42 PM

TRAILTOUGH.COM

Sally
05-05-2006, 10:26 AM
http://www.trailtough.com/

Kit includes:

Front YJ mounting kit with Missing Link
Rear YJ mounting kit with Missing Link
Knuckle Over Steering
Urethane bushings with steel sleeves
Extended brake lines
1 extended slip yoke - exchange - core charge $35.00
2 one inch driveline spacers
Front and rear lower shock mounts
1 pair front upper shock towers
2 pair adjustable spring perches
4 Doetsch Tech 8000 prerunner shocks

Item #YJS0-300 Price $1258.00
Core charges $35.00
**Option - subject to availability - 4 OEM used YJ springs - $240.00
http://www.trailtough.com/images/newsYJsusp7.jpg

Billjohn
05-05-2006, 12:34 PM
And that is a COMPLETE kit. No rummaging through the junkyards or fabrication in the garage to make it work.