PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 swap flywheel question

Sky Hook Zuker
04-24-2006, 02:39 PM
What is the difference between the 1.6 & 1.3 flywheels? The instruction say to use the 1.3 FW on the 1.6 engine. Just wanted to know why.

I've read the info on this site about this swap and have found the answers to most of my questions but have't seen anything on flywheels. I did read about 318 dodge motor mounts. Do they just bolt on or are there mods needed?

I am fixin to get ready to start the swap in my dads zuk so I can have his 1.3 for mine. It's killing me to see it just sit there.

I would post pics but I don't think anyone wants to see another 1.6 swap.:rolleyes:

zukking01
04-24-2006, 03:10 PM
The reason is because the 1.6 is SLIGHTLY larger. I tried to use it so I could use the clutch because its better but You must use the 1.3 FW so the 1.3 trans will fit over it. I didnt use the dodge mounts but from what I gather they just bolt in. Maybe someone could verify that. Remember to set your distributor to TDC before transfering it to the 1.6. While the engine is out spend the extra $10 and replace ALL heater hoses and use hose clamps on them to make sure everything works. I took my engine from a running tracker and I had 3 heater hoses go bad on me before I replaced all of em. I would really recomend doing this even if they look new. Its really easy when the enigne is out.

Sky Hook Zuker
04-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the info. I haven't read the instructions yet myself. I'm getting this from my pop. I take it you have to run the 1.3 dist?

Billjohn
04-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Yup.

zukking01
04-24-2006, 07:26 PM
You will use the 1.3 flywheel, distributor and the intake manifold. You can also use the 1.3 exaust manifold but most upgrade to a Thornley hedder while they are at it. Whose kit do you have? If you go with a hedder get a Doug Thornley and NOTHING else. Thornley is the only way to go. You will use your stock carb or "upgrade" to a webber. That has its pros and cons but the main is a webber gives great power and crappy off road preformance on hills.

Sky Hook Zuker
04-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Dad bought the Calmini kit before we got educated here. He's had it for awhile. He will be running the stock header for now.

If he stays with the fuel injection will he keep the 1.6 dist?

Itsmejoe231
04-24-2006, 09:21 PM

yup

purevil71
04-24-2006, 10:18 PM
I think you have to open the bolt holes up just a bit to use the Dodge motor mounts, but that's about all.
Nice thing about them is you can tweek your motor to fit in the bay better due to the off-set of the mounting bolts.

Sky Hook Zuker
04-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Do I appreciate all this help?

Yup!

Thanks again.rockonn

zukking01
04-25-2006, 08:30 PM

The reason you switch the 1.3 carb dist onto the 1.6 is because there is clearance issues against the fire wall. You might have to swap the 1.3 EFI dist due to clearance. I havent done a 1.3 EFI swap yet....

Itsmejoe231
04-25-2006, 11:12 PM
I never had any clearance issues everyone talked about when I put in the 1.6 There where no clearance issues with the tranny or the dist. I do know you take the dist out while installing it so it dont get knocked off but it will go right in once the motor is set. I can take picture if needed.

Sky Hook Zuker
04-26-2006, 11:47 AM
So it's not a efi computer controlled ignition issue, its a clearence thing?

I have quite a bit of room between the firewall and the dist.. However I did notice that there is a vac pot on the side of the 1.3 dist. and not on the 1.6 which makes me think that either it is comp controlled or full mech adv.:confused:

It sounds like there are several combinations that require different parts. Is this true?

Ok now I'm just looking and asking questions instead of researching. I'm sure all of this info is in a book somewhere but I prefer this approach.

Itsmejoe231
04-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Let me ask you what you combination you are planning to run and what combination you want to run if it is any different.

1.6 W/ fuel injection or carbed 1/3 intake? and what tranny? you gonna use an adapter plate and mat the 1.3 tranny or use a 2wd tracker tranny?

The 1.3 has a vacuum advance on the dist. The 1.6 dist. don't cause the computer does the advancing.

FWIW- If you have the wiring harness and computer I would go with the fuel injection and don't swap any parts from the 1.3 to the 1.6.

Sky Hook Zuker
04-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Ok here's the plan. 1.6 to the 1.3 tranny. Using the 1.3 intake w/ weber until we can buy the TT wiring. Might just let the zuk sit until we do. We have the calmini adapter plate.In hine sight we would have bought the complete TT kit.

Dads more of a trail chaser than a rock crawler but he likes to drive it daily. I am trying to help him set it up to go out and play with my son (Froad'r) and I. It's not going to be anything fancy just lifted enough to run 31's.:suzuki:

Itsmejoe231
04-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Ok here's the plan. 1.6 to the 1.3 tranny. Using the 1.3 intake w/ weber until we can buy the TT wiring. Might just let the zuk sit until we do. We have the calmini adapter plate.In hine sight we would have bought the complete TT kit.

Looks like you have the tranny covered with the adaptor plate. If you decide to go with the 1.3 intake you will have to put the 1.3 distributer in the 1.6.

the 1.6 wiring harness is not that hard to convert. It looks overwhelming at first but once you get in to it it is not that bad. I have done 2 of them. the first one was my own and it took about a total of 6 hours. The second one I did was a buddy's and with him helping, we did it in 2 hours. If you wanted to tackle it, it can save you some money and I would help if needed.