PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Stuck in Gear PLEASE HELP!!!

HardLuk
04-19-2006, 10:03 PM
popcornn Not sure what happened...My truck was towed by Johhny Law and when I got it back the truck was stuck in 4th gear...What gives??

Bummer cause I had to drive it home..Not fun.
Didn't seem to hurt it any...Clutch still works fine (not new, but still)...Clutch cable is new and the clutch doesn't slip/chatter...Thought maybe like the transfer case that it could be a shifter sheet...

Anybody think I could get lucky enough that by just replacing the shifter bolt and/or shifter sheet THAT I could reverse Johhny Law's abusive treatment??

Am I on the right page about what to try...Anyone???popcornn

OKIE ZUK
04-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Just like the t-case, pull shifter and aline all the rails and reinstall. Sounds like you have wear somewhere in the tranny.

TatorZuk
04-19-2006, 11:36 PM
How far was it towed???

You probably don't want to hear this, but...there is another possible reason for "4th gear only".

When your rig was towed they probably didn't put the transfer case in neutral, or pull the rear driveshaft.

This turns the mainshaft, but not the countershaft...hence very little gear lube gets up where it needs to be and gears weld themselves to the main shaft, possibly giving you..."4th gear only".

This is very common with "towed" manual trannys...although I hope this is not your case.

Good luck...let us know what you find.

HardLuk
04-20-2006, 11:34 PM
OKIE ZUK
If I take out the shifter and align the rails and reinstall any idea how often this will happen or???

I called Roadlessgear and Figmo thought strongly it could be the shifter locator bolt broke...I ordered one and a poly shifter sheet to put in while I am in there.

TatorZuk
The Samurai was flatbed "towed" so I'm not thinking any gear welding happened, but who knows.

Anyone else have there tranny stuck in ANY gear before?? what did you do to fix this??

Nate

Billjohn
04-21-2006, 08:24 AM
Anyone else have there tranny stuck in ANY gear before?? what did you do to fix this??

Nate

Yup. But that was when my first tranny was on its last legs and it bit the dust. I bought the parts for a total rebuild and then pulled it apart. The tranny was wasted, gears welded and teeth missing (I'm not easy on my equipment). I ended up buying another tranny and doing the rebuild on it with the parts I bought. Spins like a dream now. :dance:

TRASHCAN
04-21-2006, 09:46 AM
my tranny did that once, it was the shifter alignment bolt. I pulled the one outta my spare tranny and put it in there, problem solved.

Mike

DesertZuki
04-21-2006, 09:58 AM
I don't think Figmo led you astray. Chances are it's one or both.

HardLuk
04-27-2006, 03:59 AM
Trashcan
What

DesertZuki
04-29-2006, 02:17 PM
The shifter alignment bolt is what keeps the shifter from flopping all over the place. The end of the bolt fits in a groove at the rear of the "ball" (the part of the shifter that rides on the poly sheet).

You'll see what they mean when you take your shifter out.

Try not to loose a broken end of your bolt into the tranny...

88islandzuki
04-30-2006, 12:18 AM
ya i had the same problem one day i went to leave work, and couldent get it outta 2nd the bolt was so worn and broken that when i went to put it into reverse i somehow popped the second gear rail , basicly trapping the shifter between the rails . it was messed up , i ended up getting a ride home to get my manual (the bible as my wife calls it) popped the cover on the shifter and stared at it and the diagram for about 20 minutes then ......pow......... i figured it out:jumping: found a new bolt and ........wammo........ like a new shifter (now when i've got a passenger and put it into 5th the dont have to move there leg out of the way:funny: ).

i,m glad i didn,t try to force it like i wanted to a couple of times, coulda made a mess.

HardLuk
05-01-2006, 01:59 PM
wbtowery:
Try not to loose a broken end of your bolt into the tranny...
Suppose I do lose the old broken tip into the tranny do you think I can fish it out with a telescopic magnet tipped screwdriver??

88islandzuki:
Somewhere I read tranny HAS to be neutral (Offroad.com I think) for everything to go back together properly...This is the one thing that is holding me up...I don't know much about adjusting shifter rails or anything...Any advice on what you did since yours was stuck in 2nd (very similar)...

Thanks,
Nate

Hardline
05-02-2006, 09:56 PM
wbtowery:

Suppose I do lose the old broken tip into the tranny do you think I can fish it out with a telescopic magnet tipped screwdriver??

Nate
Anything is possible. I was doing a head gasket on a Duetz diesel engine today when a pushrod fell down beside the lifter. I could still see it. When I went in with the magnet as soon as I touched it I heard it fall the rest of the way and hit the oil pan. I ended up being able to remove the drain plug and fish it out of the hole with a magnet. Talk about getting lucky. This machine would have been a mamoth PITA to get the motor out to get the oil pan off! JJ

88islandzuki
05-04-2006, 02:31 AM
ive never even looked inside the tranny before i took mine apart. when i pulled the shifter, boot and plate covering it all the bolt was broken and very worn i could see the broken bolt end clearly and grabbed it right away you could probly get it out if it dropped in.
as far as fixing it , the rails that shift the gears look like skinny bars that slide foward or back . i just stepped on the clutch then stuck a screwdriver in there and pushed the rail toward the front of the car and it moved very easily.
about being in neutral ,iread that in my manual also and was a little leary about opening it in 2nd but i had no choice. i dont see why it HAS to be in neutral but i'm no mechanic. is your shifter stuck? mine was it did not move foward or back but it did move side to side. if i have time i'll open mine up n take some pics (wanna check the bolt n throw some grease in there) was your shifter sloppy? if i were you i'd get those strokers who towed your ride to fix it . when i had my street bike i got it towed once and the dude strapped it down with chains through the wheels and scrathed the shit outta them basterd.

anyways good luck just open er up

HardLuk
05-09-2006, 03:27 AM
88islandzuki:

I appreciate your advice...I have been waiting for my new poly shifter sheet and shifter locator bolt to arrive from Roadlessgear...Should be here tomorrow.

Sounds like you had the same problem.

Pics would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate

P.S. Did you get the jerks that chained your wheels to compensate you?
:turn-l:

HardLuk
05-30-2006, 01:46 PM
It's been awhile, but the other day I took the plunge into the tranny. I replaced the shifter sheet & bolt (not hard)...

However, I still had the problem of a "stuck shifter". Actually, I could not get the shifter to seat back in, until...

I figured the tranny was garbage so I just didn't care and got creative..started pushing, proding, and flipping reverse lockouts (I think) until I could get the shifter back in.

Once back in and tightened the truck shifted like somebody elses truck..I have never felt the shifter work so good, but...

I couldn't get it stuck in gear no matter what I did until I started the truck and tried to back up out of my driveway...Put it in reverse, and it turned to fourth gear and got stuck again, arrgh!

So, I will go back in and "re-realign" everything and try again..I think it will work properly next time for some reason...

Tell me what you guys think
Nate

P.S.
This is what I feel like whip (I'm beating a dead horse)...Hopefully not, though

hotsauce
05-31-2006, 04:14 PM
my experience with "re-stabbibg" the shifter is this:

with a large clean screwdriver, set the 3 "gates" to the same position in the middle. stab the end of shifter to N in center. hold it tight till you get the 4 bolts back in. ( make sure new alignment bolt and sheet peice are in right too)

if reverse is 4th, it sounds like its not stabbed right.