PDA

View Full Version : Line Locks.......

purevil71
04-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Ok, so I got me a couple of line locks for a song, so I have a couple of questions.

First, where's the best place to mount these? There electric, so should I just put them on the firewall somewhere, or down on the frame rail?

Also, would it be better to use the front brakes, or rear? These are for trail use only BTW. I got two, but I'll prolly only end up using one of them.

Itsmejoe231
04-16-2006, 08:51 PM
I would think they would be best up out of the way of mud and water near the master cylinder. I would use them on the rear.

I see another build-up photo opportunity coming soon.toast

purevil71
04-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Thats a possability. I have have a bad habbit of not taking pix while I'm doing the project....lol

holeshot
04-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Samurais use a cross braking system, So if you tie your line lock into one of the lines comming off the master cylinder, The lock will lock up one front and one rear tire. That will give you the best brake holding performance.

A line lock on just the front or just the rear dont hold very well.

RIVERZUK
04-17-2006, 09:23 AM
I Changed The Cross Brake To Just Front & Rear When I Put On The Rear Disc Brakes. Then I Put The Line Lock On The Front Brakes Only. It Works Just Fine That Way. If You Have 2 You Could Run Front & Rear Separate.

purevil71
04-17-2006, 11:10 AM
As much as these things draw on the battery, would running two be OK? Like I said, they're for trail use only, so it's not like they will be on for very long.

I like the idea of two. Be nice to have a back up just in case.

Hulkzuki
04-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Where did you get them from? and how much if you dont mind me asking.

I've been looking at them for quite a while. need at least one.

take lots of pics, I will be doing this as well soon :)

purevil71
04-17-2006, 04:16 PM
I got them off of a buddy of mine that runs drag cars. One was used for half a seasion, and the other was opened but never used. They are running a different set up now and don't need them. Got them both with all fittings, wiring, switches and mounts for $25 :mrgreen:

xanthias
04-19-2006, 06:54 PM
I Changed The Cross Brake To Just Front & Rear When I Put On The Rear Disc Brakes.
And how did you do that?

RIVERZUK
04-20-2006, 09:27 AM
And how did you do that?

There is manifold on the frame behind the right front wheel where the brake lines tie in. Just change the lines.

ack
04-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Brently....
Do I have to open a can of pimp-a$$ on you???

Do a search for line at the FAQ and you'll find an ancient review from our dearly departed vender of of Samurai Line Lockers, PorkBarrel Engineering.

Lots of pics 'n stuff to inspire you.

Itsmejoe231
04-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Brently....

Now that if funny!! :funny: popcornn

Sally
04-20-2006, 09:24 PM
So what is the amp draw on those locks you have Brent?

The hurst one I have on my van never seemed to be a drain on the battery? Might be from the 135amp alt but who knows.

The reason I ask is i need a new alt for the sammy and also want to install line locks. Contimplating if I should go with a 140 or a 200?

purevil71
04-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Brently....

That's Ok Ack....you can keep your pimp juice, I'll go look!!!!

Sally, I'm not 100% sure on the exact draw, but Jason (guy I got them from) said if you leave them on longer than an hour, they will run your battery down.
Said he done that once on accident and it killed his battery. Both locks came from Summit Racing, so I'm sure you could look it up on the site.

Billjohn
04-21-2006, 08:10 AM
The ones from Summit are the ones that Pork Barrel used to sell in their kit. I have them on my trail rig. I have left them on overnight and started up fine in the morning. But that is with a pair of red tops, so ymmv.
Those things work great in the rocks when you are in an awkward position and want to get out to see what is up... they also make it easy for poser shots!!!

purevil71
04-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Yea, his car is a drag strip only car, so I'm sure it has a small, cheep battery in it.

I'm still debating if I wanna use both or just one.

RIVERZUK
04-22-2006, 10:48 AM
I Left Mine On Overnite Once With No Problems.

purevil71
04-22-2006, 12:59 PM
These posts are making me feel better about picking electric locks over the manual one's.
Ok, besides the fact I got them for a steal....lol

NOW, where's a good place to mount these? Do I wanna keep them as high as possable? I'm thinking of mounting them on the firewall up under my battery on the passy side (since I no longer have a front clip).

flea
08-24-2007, 10:44 PM
so whats better hydraulic or electric?

Billjohn
08-24-2007, 11:02 PM
I have both on the trail rig. Electric front and rear and Hydro rear. Both have their pros and cons. I have found the hydro to leak down quicker, but the electric can drain the battery over time. Both will hold overnight, but I wouldn't park it on a hill with just the linelocks holding it for a weekend...