PDA

View Full Version : A couple newbie q's

bobalob
04-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Just bought a stock(except for 7k on cam, port/polish, headers to 2 1/4 flowmaster exhaust) 87 sammi(my first) and have it stripped down(took a good 45 minutes to find the hood release) to do a very quick rust removal and $20 driveway paintjob. I am wanting to start putting my upgrade parts,tools, decisions, and info together for future implementation. I am getting matching D30/D44 3.73 scout axles (couldn't find any good deals on Toy axles) in great shape delivered today for $200(seemed like a reasonable price) and I could use some info/links/writeups on the swap(I assume it has been done many times before) specifically the steering, springs(SPOA YJ?), and d-shafts. Also 5th gear works fine but is loud as heck, ideas? Oh what is the stock sammi axle gear ratio? Thanks in advance.:mrgreen:

Ruttdigger
04-14-2006, 10:43 AM
I had scout axles origionally but they were Dana 27/30's . I swapped them for yota because the pinion is weak. They arent much stronger than the stock zuki and grenaded the first run I did.

If I were you I would start out with these with the intention of getting yota or all 44 soon. Fab up brackets and such with these to the same demensions as the yota and that way it will be a easier swap.

that is just my 2c.

bobalob
04-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Yeah down the road when I go bigger I'll replace the front d30 with a d44 also out of a scout but for now I was mainly wondering how the steering was setup. Also I heard that the d44 knuckle with disc brakes will bolt right on to the d30, is that true?

zukking01
04-14-2006, 06:45 PM
stock zuk axle is also a 3.73