PDA

View Full Version : Sidekick thirds

MacGuyver
04-13-2006, 01:23 PM
I am just trying to figure out if both third members from a 89 Sidekick will bolt right into the diffs of my 88.5 sammy?
If so, does anyone know the gearing, or are they the same as the stock sammy gears?

madzukr
04-13-2006, 01:44 PM
first;the fronts will bolt in direct in the front,it will bolt into the rear but you have to change the side gears from the rear of you sami into the kick.i DO NOT recomend useing the aluminam(sp)third members,they will not hold up specially if you run lockers in them.you can install the R/P in the sami third members with some parts from TT.
the rear kick will not bolt in without the "hybred" rear houseing.you can get that from sky man or trail tough.this is what i recomend.
if they come out of a 5 speed manual trans,they should be 512 ratio.(good for 33-35 in tires) if they come out of an auto trans,they will be 462 ratio.(good for 30-32 in tires)
my wife runs the 462s with 31s and stock drive train,i run the 512s with 4.89-1 tcase and 33s(at the moment)

I am just trying to figure out if both third members from a 89 Sidekick will bolt right into the diffs of my 88.5 sammy?
If so, does anyone know the gearing, or are they the same as the stock sammy gears?

MacGuyver
04-13-2006, 02:01 PM
thanks, I guess i will try to get them for like $50.00 and go from there

Billjohn
04-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Good price...

madzukr
04-13-2006, 02:20 PM
if you can the front and rear for that,i would put the front R/P in a sami third and get the rear HD hybred from sky manufacturing.
if you buy them complete(rear housing and F/R thirds) from TT without lockers with shipping your looking at and easy $900-$1000.00 and close to $1500.00 with lockers.bigok
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/ sorry no pics,but has heavier tubes

this one is from trail tough

http://www.trailtough.com/images/gearchng.jpg
thanks, I guess i will try to get them for like $50.00 and go from there

mahana79
04-13-2006, 04:10 PM
first;the fronts will bolt in direct in the front,it will bolt into the rear but you have to change the side gears from the rear of you sami into the kick.i DO NOT recomend useing the aluminam(sp)third members,they will not hold up specially if you run lockers in them.you can install the R/P in the sami third members with some parts from TT.
the rear kick will not bolt in without the "hybred" rear houseing.you can get that from sky man or trail tough.this is what i recomend.
if they come out of a 5 speed manual trans,they should be 512 ratio.(good for 33-35 in tires) if they come out of an auto trans,they will be 462 ratio.(good for 30-32 in tires)
my wife runs the 462s with 31s and stock drive train,i run the 512s with 4.89-1 tcase and 33s(at the moment)

FYI the autos also came with 4.30's so be sure to count the teeth:shocked!:

MacGuyver
04-13-2006, 04:13 PM
let me get this right. the front third will bolt right in. or i can take the gears and swap them into the front third i have now?

And I can just switch over the side gears and bolt the rear in.
You say that the Sidekick thirds are weak....
So will the gears just easily switch over to the sammy thirds.
I am not looking to spend a bunch of money on a whole new axle. I just came across the sidekick at a local junkyard and thought i would look into it.

The engine is also there and intact EFI!! any ideas for what can be done with it

mahana79
04-13-2006, 04:17 PM
The engine is also there and intact EFI!! any ideas for what can be done with it

buy it if they let it go cheap2finger

Billjohn
04-13-2006, 04:24 PM
let me get this right. the front third will bolt right in. or i can take the gears and swap them into the front third i have now?

Yup.
Yup.
The aluminum third member HOUSINGS are weak. Your Sammy cast iron housing will serve you better.
Yup.

:dance:

madzukr
04-13-2006, 06:07 PM
i will repeat,THE ALUMINUM THIRDS WILL NOT HOLD UP.they will gernade!!!!!

yes and yes
the rear will not work unless you have a hybred housing. the front third members are weak.

I am not looking to spend a bunch of money on a whole new axle. I just came across the sidekick at a local junkyard and thought i would look into it.

Zee
04-13-2006, 08:18 PM
i just did this swap.
i had the gears swapped over to stock sammi 3rds,using a CAN from TT.it comes with a machined spacer to hold the cross pins in place.it also includes another adjuster with the threads cut.
http://www.trailtough.com/images/newdifpinret_small.jpg
i reused the old crush sleeve,which wasn't all that old.
we just tapped out some and reused it.
We had to press the bearings off the pinon,broke one so had to replace it but over all not too bad.
here are some specs:
Pinion bearing preload 7.8 - 14.7 lb-in
Bevel Gear Backlash (0.004-0.006")

Torque specs...
Side Bearing cap bolt 51-72 ft lbs
Drive Bevel gear bolt 58-65
Diff. case bolt 27-32.5
side bearing adj lock bolt 7-10
Diff carrier bolt 13.5-20

Check out this write up,good info
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,3975.0.html
Z

DesertZuki
04-13-2006, 08:51 PM
I'm confused:
...i DO NOT recomend useing the aluminam(sp)third members,they will not hold up...
...the rear kick will not bolt in without the "hybred" rear houseing.you can get that from sky man or trail tough.this is what i recomend...If you're not bolting the aluminum Trac/Kick third into the "hybred", what third are you using?

I was also told (more than once) that to swap trac/kick gears into the Sammy rear, the R&Ps had to come from a track/kick front. True or False??

Zee
04-13-2006, 09:05 PM
I'm confused:
If you're not bolting the aluminum Trac/Kick third into the "hybred", what third are you using?

I was also told (more than once) that to swap trac/kick gears into the Sammy rear, the R&Ps had to come from a track/kick front. True or False??

1)
You need 2 Kick front 3rds. Kicks have 22 spline side gears like a Sammy front,but the sammy rear is 26 spline,hence swapping side gears in the rear.
The front Kick housing will bolt DIRECTLY into a Sammy rear housing,but the axles will not go in.
the kick rear 3rd is larger and will not bolt into a Sammy rear axle housing,this is where the Hybrids come in so you can use the STOCK Kick 3rds complete front and rear if you so desire and have the money.

2)
True

Still confused?
Z

madzukr
04-13-2006, 09:07 PM
"If you're not bolting the aluminum Trac/Kick third into the "hybred", what third are you using?"
the track/kick rear third member.:crazyeye:

True

Zee
04-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Ok,lets try this with paper and crayons :)

http://www.trailtough.com/images/gearchng_small.jpg

Our no-hassle ready to bolt-in gear change package includes 4.62 or 5.12 Sidekick ring and pinion gears set up and installed in a Samurai front housing, a matching Sidekick rear 3rd member with drilled flanges for the Samurai drive line, and our Hybrid axle housing. Shock mounts, diff caps, SPOA perches, and Lockers are not included but can be purchased separately and installed at no extra charge.
Item #GCP-400 Price $749.00

Core charges $75.00 for front 3rd member
and $75.00 for stock rear housing

Help any ?
Z

DesertZuki
04-13-2006, 10:31 PM
...the track/kick rear third member.:crazyeye:...
If the trac/kick third is aluminum (right?) and they're weaker than the sammy's cast thirds (right?) then why use it?

And thanks Zee. I got everything now except for the above..

(more different colors with the crayons though next time -- if possible) :mrgreen:

Zee
04-13-2006, 10:35 PM
I believe the kick rears are cast iron.
I could be incorrect on this,if so someone correct me.
Z

Billjohn
04-13-2006, 11:31 PM
I believe the kick rears are cast iron.
I could be incorrect on this,if so someone correct me.
Z

Your right, the rear third housings are cast iron. You can just bolt them into a hybrid rear axle housing and be secure knowing they are pretty much bullet-proof under the power of a sami...

madzukr
04-13-2006, 11:32 PM
the rear kick/tracker third is cast also,only the front if aluminum

If the trac/kick third is aluminum (right?) and they're weaker than the sammy's cast thirds (right?) then why use it?

And thanks Zee. I got everything now except for the above..

(more different colors with the crayons though next time -- if possible) :mrgreen:

MacGuyver
04-14-2006, 10:05 AM
We have decided to take the complete rear axle from the kick and mount it under the sammy, stretching the wheeldbase and dropping in a a second t-case or a second tranny.

purevil71
04-14-2006, 10:27 AM
We have decided to take the complete rear axle from the kick and mount it under the sammy, stretching the wheeldbase and dropping in a a second t-case or a second tranny.

Are you going to match the widths up with spacers on the front or go a different rout? Plus, the Trac/kick rear axle is centered, so you're prolly gonna wanna run a CV type of rear D-Shaft.
There is a guy close to here that has done that and likes it.

MacGuyver
04-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Not really sure yet. I am gonna go to the junk yard and offer the guy like $200 for the whole sidekick and see what i can do from there

DesertZuki
04-14-2006, 08:31 PM
the rear kick/tracker third is cast also,only the front if aluminum

AAAaaahhhhhh......

Now it all makes sense... Thank you!