PDA

View Full Version : More question's

BobA
04-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Most of the zuk's I've seen in classified ad's that are lifted etc.. alway's seem to have the stock transmission and transfer case.
Are these strong/durable enough to hold up up to offroad use?
I imagine I'd need a stronger than stock clutch/pressure plate combo,Any preferrances on what to go with?
Do sammies have disc or drum brakes?Are upgrades needed when running larger tires? Suggestion's?

xanthias
04-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Search is your friend to sort of troll through the discussions of these topics as opinions and experiences vary.

Transmission and transfer case can hold up, but you will likely want to pay some attention to your gearing if you wheel much on larger tires.

Many people put in a dual-friction clutch, such as the Centerforce.

Sammies have discs up front and drums in the rear from the factory.

Sally
04-13-2006, 08:49 PM
I can't stand the feel of the centerforce clutches, i prefer the stock ones which work great.

stock Sammys run front disc and rear drum and the rear brakes vary from year to year some have 1 fluid line some have 2.

How much larger tires would be the question?

With some new birfs for the front you should be fine up to 33" anything more change to a bigger axle. Also when increasing tire size most people forget to change the stopping power. Which should be done if it's used mostly on the street. If you want to run 75 down the highway you will need more power and or gearing.

DesertZuki
04-13-2006, 10:17 PM
the stock transmission and transfer case.
Are these strong/durable enough to hold up up to offroad use?Other than guys having to replace bearings in the trannys, I don't recall anyone mentioning problems. I've heard of guys running the t-cases behind V6's and again, I don't recall anyone mentioning problems with it.

I imagine I'd need a stronger than stock clutch/pressure plate combo,Any preferrances on what to go with? I've noticed two schools of thought here. 1) Run the stock or Auto Zone-type clutch. 2) Or run the more expensive Centerforce style clutches. They apparently feel different and the feel of the clutch appears to be personal preference.

With the stock clutch, depending upon your driving style, the terrain you drive, and your gears; you may be changing a lot of clutches. With the Centerforce-style, you initially pay more, but they seem to last a lot longer.

Are upgrades needed when running larger tires? How big are you going? With 31s mine takes a lot of pressure to get them to lock up. I've seen rear disc conversions -- don't know what guys do to beef up the front.

Tire size: Some guys have driven on 33s, locked, on challenging terrain for years and not broken axles, and other guys swear anything bigger than 31s and they're breaking stuff right and left. (Driving style is probably what makes the difference.)

Keep the questions coming. Knowledge is... uh... ah... (I forgot -- guess I didn't ask enough questions) :mrgreen:

A couple clutch threads:
http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=934&highlight=clutch
http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=364&highlight=clutch

bigflex
04-13-2006, 11:25 PM
the stock stuff in a sami is just fine id get a reduction for the t-case and axles and your good to go with 33's. another option would be to swap to toy axles if you plan tho beat the crap out of it. im running sami axles with chromoi axle shafts lock up with 5:83 r/p gears on 35's with no problems. also running a 4-1 tcase
and centerforce clutch. im pretty happy with it but i try to take it easy on it when it comes to binding up to keep from twisting the axle shafts.

hope this helps and keep the ?'s coming