PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question's

BobA
04-13-2006, 09:26 AM
I've seen where toyota axle swaps seem to be a option for stronger axles.
Are these needed if you run 31"-32" tires.
What are the best/cheapest/reliable way's to set the suspension up to not break and be stranded?

xanthias
04-13-2006, 11:30 AM
31's or 32's are the limit for stock axles if you want to avoid breakage when wheeling. Of course, even that depends on what type of wheeling you are doing and your driving style. Breakage happens in high traction or binding situations, no matter what tire size you have. They are also a practical limit in terms of being able to get any use out of the gearing because you can't exactly make up for the 3.73's in the axles with horsepower from the 1.3L.

The most common and reliable way to set up the suspension is with a "spring over axle" or SOA setup.

zukiWilson
04-13-2006, 01:33 PM
No, you won't need toy axles for 31s. You'll be fine with 32s on the stock axles. It all depends on what type of four wheeling you do. It looks like you like mud, so you could probably run some agressive 31s and that would be fine for your type of wheeling.

BobA
04-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Most of my wheeling will be crawling type stuff.The day's of heavy mud are over.There's an offroad area called Turkeybay near me that has a little of everything.Thank's for the input.

Sally
04-13-2006, 05:27 PM
If your gonna be locked add some axle trusses
if your gonna be open add them anywaybigok

BobA
04-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Thought lockers were the only way to go.The day's of open diff's are over to.bigok

DesertZuki
04-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Somebody mentioned a spring-over.

If you're thinking about it, check this out:
http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=174

purevil71
04-14-2006, 08:50 AM
General thought is stock axles are good for up to a 31"-32" tire, anything over that and you'll stress them too much. Add some aftermarket axle shafts (Newfields or ex.) or Birf. rings or cups, gears and your looking at around a 33"-35" tire max. Throw in lockers on that and it only stresses them more.
Now, there are exceptions to every rule. Some run a 35" + tire on stock axles and have 0 problems, and I know some people that snap axles like twigs on 31's.
I was personally running 33" swampers on stock axles (Locked F&R) with no problems. I now have Yota axles with 36" tires (after running stock axles for 5 years). My personal advice would be to put what tires you want on it, get some gears and wheel it! If you find your fixing broken stuff more than your wheeling, upgrade! If not, you're ahead in the game.
Some see upgrading the sami axles as throwing money away. I like to think of it as supporting the Suzuki aftermarket...lol

Ruttdigger
04-14-2006, 09:46 AM
If you are going crawling you really wont be happy with anything under 33s. Just the size of tire will keep you off most stuff. But if you want to really get into rocks believe me it is never ending money wise or part wise.

DesertZuki
04-14-2006, 08:45 PM
If you are going crawling you really wont be happy with anything under 33s. Just the size of tire will keep you off most stuff...
jawdrop

My kid and I both run 31s. He's followed guys on 40s+ (places I would never go) and done more with his 31s than guys with 33s and 35s. The difference between 31s and 33s is really just one inch in clearance. And...

My partner takes his YJ on 32s places guys in TJs with 33s and 35s won't go. And he has never scratched his rig!! (Well, until last week -- the Escalator on Hell's Revenge in Moab got him -- it crinkled his license plate holder..)

purevil71
04-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Well, until last week -- the Escalator on Hell's Revenge in Moab got him -- it crinkled his license plate holder..)

DAMN...hate it when that happens!!!

DesertZuki
04-15-2006, 09:33 AM
Yeah, when he called me up he had that dark tone in his voice and said, "Well it finally happened." I was thinking he rolled or at least flopped it on its side... (license plate holder... )

joshjohnbaun
04-15-2006, 10:04 AM
haha oh SNAP! that ones guna cost a fortune to fix! banghead

TX_ZUKI
04-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Yeah, when he called me up he had that dark tone in his voice and said, "Well it finally happened." I was thinking he rolled or at least flopped it on its side... (license plate holder... )
:rofl:

BobA
04-17-2006, 09:44 PM
Somebody mentioned a spring-over.

If you're thinking about it, check this out:
http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=174
Thanks.Darn good writeup.

DesertZuki
04-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Welcome. Holeshot does a great job with those threads!