PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question's

BobA
04-13-2006, 10:10 AM
With the age of all the used sammies out there what is the average lifespan before these motors need to be rebuilt?
I'm planning to run between 31"-32" tires,running highway trips and wheeling,What size motor would I need to look for to be "capable" to do this?
Are there any preferred year/model to shop for when I purchase one?

Sally
04-13-2006, 10:12 PM
The average lifespan on the Suzuki engines depends on how well it was maintained. I drive one all the time with over 200k that still runs strong and smooth. I would look for a fuel injected model which can be found for the years 90 and up. They have 66hp:funny:

DesertZuki
04-13-2006, 10:40 PM
I've had three samurais, all with about 140k on the clock. All had low compression and the #4 cylinder was always the lowest.

And I 100% agree with Sally's fuel injection comment. The stock carbs can be a nightmare (they are computer controlled) unless you're a carb genius -- and besides, carbs sputter on steep climbs.

I think rebuild kits start around $400 for the stock 1.3. So, when the engine is shot, a motor swap with a 1.6 Sidekick/Tracker motor becomes a viable option. And with the highway trips, you may really like the extra 35 or so horsepower you get with the 1.6.

BobA
04-14-2006, 01:25 AM
Definately alot of hills where I go.Fuel injection is on my list.Thanks for the input.

zero
04-14-2006, 04:07 AM
Definately alot of hills where I go.Fuel injection is on my list.Thanks for the input.

You should consider starting with a Sidekick or Tracker. It will probably be the Suzuki 4 wheeler of the future. More and more aftermarket parts and mods available. It is also much more highway and comfort friendly. :dance:

bigflex
04-14-2006, 01:33 PM
You should consider starting with a Sidekick or Tracker. It will probably be the Suzuki 4 wheeler of the future. More and more aftermarket parts and mods available. It is also much more highway and comfort friendly. :dance:

this coming from a guy that owns 7 samis
:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

DesertZuki
04-14-2006, 09:51 PM
He's got a point. Around here, you can pay almost twice as much for a beat-to-heck Samurai as you can for a well kept, clean Sidekick.

zero
04-14-2006, 11:26 PM
this coming from a guy that owns 7 samis
:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

I am greedy, and want to keep them all for myself. bigok

xanthias
04-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Do a compression test on your engine - this is a good indicator of its basic health. A 1.3 in excellent condition will give you around 180, average around 140 to 150 and poor condition is around 120 or less.

BobA
04-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Thank's,I like the "boxy" look of the samurai.Maybe I'll find one with a newer sidekick engine.