PDA

View Full Version : Soobiezook?

Blazookie
04-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Has anyone ever attempted to stuff an opposing 4 cylinder engine like a subaru EA71, EA81 or EA82 engine in a Samurai? I have an EA81 (1800cc) completely rebuilt on a pallet in my garage and was just wondering... Hmmmm.. Nope, I didn't break out the measuring tape or anything. It looks possible to fit it without too much cutting on the fender wells?

I know they are very popular engines for small airplanes, hovercrafts and boats ( I have a boat with a Subaru EA81 engine), VW conversions and trike builds because they seem to go for ever and ever, and are simple and very cheap to work on.

zukking01
04-12-2006, 02:12 PM
I would think it would work with a little help of a welder and some injinuity. I would go for it. I had a subaru 1800 GL and loved it. It had the 1800cc and that engine is really good power/weight ratio.

Blazookie
04-12-2006, 03:40 PM
I may attempt it with my next samurai that I plan to buy and build, not my current one. I would start from the frame up so that I can solve any steering clearance issues (my biggest concern) as I go. There may also be a bit of aluminum fabrication and machining in order to mate the engine to the zook transmission. I already figure to have to cut out the fender wells some because of the width of the engine. Of course any valve adjustment would take place by removing the front tires and opening an access panel in the fender wells. :dance: But hey, things like that goes with any unique project. If it works, it would be a significant increase in horsepower.

mahana79
04-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Havnt seen the opposing cyl swap but have read on a Mazda turbo rotary swap. it took alittle coaxing to squeeze it between the framerails thoughbigok

good luck
toast

Blazookie
04-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Havnt seen the opposing cyl swap but have read on a Mazda turbo rotary swap. it took alittle coaxing to squeeze it between the framerails thoughbigok

good luck
toast

I figure just about anything is possible as long as you have a plasma cutter and welding gear handy. Fortunately, I have a plasma machine, mig, tig and stick welders in my shop. My neighbor is a machinist, and has a metal lathe and milling machine a few steps away.

Sky Hook Zuker
04-13-2006, 12:50 PM
There has been some humorous discussion on pirate about installing a VW air cooled engine. I say humorous because no one could agree on the rotation of the engine.

I bring this up because both engines are opposed and will have the same issues. When mentally looked at it for myself the frame width was the big problem.

I think Subaru is a better choice then VW being water cooled but for myself I would go VW due to the fact that I know them and have great sources for parts. Not sure I will ever actualy do it but I like to think about it.

Sounds like you have all the right tools and resources to get er done. Post it if you do it!popcornn