PDA

View Full Version : Turning radius bringing the suck!!!!

purevil71
04-09-2006, 11:25 PM
OK, tried out the new mods today on the trail for the first time, and I must say, I like!!!
Only problem is, my turning sucks!! Yea, with the power steering I can do a 10 point turn with one hand, but I'd like to cut that down to about 5 if possable.
Any thoughts on how to do this??
OH YEA, I'm running a locked front with 36's.

Itsmejoe231
04-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Is it locked or welded? If it is locked then go into 2wd and make your turns, if it is welded, you only option is to get out and unlock one of the hubs.

All this being said if you are already turning from stearing stop to stearing stop.

purevil71
04-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Fozzy Locked in front, and going stop to stop! I figured having it Fozzy Locked up front was a big part of it.

Would doing a Ram Assist help it any????

Itsmejoe231
04-09-2006, 11:36 PM
You will have to explain the fozzy lock. I have read something about it but its fuzzy. lol

A ram will only help out the PS turn the tires, will not help the turning radious. Is the turning radious better one way than the other?

mahana79
04-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Fozzy Locked in front, and going stop to stop! I figured having it Fozzy Locked up front was a big part of it.

Would doing a Ram Assist help it any????

If your already able to go from steering stop to steering stop then ran assist will do nothing but make it easier to go from stop to stop.

did it get worse after doing something? what was the last thing done?

if you have been messing with the supension then a common over sight on the front is to try and turn the pinion up to decrease the operating angle and lessen driveline vibes but in doing this you throw off your castor. too much +castor will make it feel like it is pushing thru a turn and your locked front only compounds that.. the only way to get the best of both is to have your knuckles cut and turned

purevil71
04-09-2006, 11:51 PM
Well, to be honest, I'm just baising this off of how it was to turn when it had stock axles and 33's. It just seems the Yota axles don't turn as tight as the sami axles for some reasion.

I still have some adjustment in the steering bolts on the axles I'm gonna play with. Some, but not much.....lol

A Fozzy locker is where you weld just the spider gears, and only two teeth or so. It lets the axles have a little give to them when turning. Not recomended for the rear, but works OK in the front. Not as good as a locker, but I do't have $500 for a Yota locker either!

Billjohn
04-09-2006, 11:52 PM
ARBs... or E-lockers. It helps if you can turn the locker off...
Mahana is very right, if you can already turn stop to stop, then turning the wheels is not your problem.

purevil71
04-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Yea, no ARB's or E-Lockers in MY future.....so I'm just gonna have to live with the crappy steering huh!
And the suspension and angles I have not messed with. I have a pretty good ride and the P/S does make a HUGE difference off-road.

OH well....price you pay-to-play I guess

Itsmejoe231
04-10-2006, 12:11 AM
Holy smokes!! I just priced the tru track lockers and they went up a $100.

I will trade you the 4.56's for a locker.:mrgreen:

purevil71
04-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Holy smokes!! I just priced the tru track lockers and they went up a $100.

I will trade you the 4.56's for a locker.:mrgreen:

You tell me this NOW after I make a deal to trade them for a Hydro assist set up.....lol

Yea, it's gonna be a bit before I save up enough $$$ for a locker. But I'll defanlty have one up front.

madzukr
04-10-2006, 02:56 AM
a friend of mine is running FJ60 axels and just got a rear locker for $280.00.
check this place out;http://www.eoronline.com/ bigok
evil,what happened to pics of your fuel filler setup?:shocked!:

Well, to be honest, I'm just baising this off of how it was to turn when it had stock axles and 33's. It just seems the Yota axles don't turn as tight as the sami axles for some reasion.

I still have some adjustment in the steering bolts on the axles I'm gonna play with. Some, but not much.....lol

A Fozzy locker is where you weld just the spider gears, and only two teeth or so. It lets the axles have a little give to them when turning. Not recomended for the rear, but works OK in the front. Not as good as a locker, but I do't have $500 for a Yota locker either!

purevil71
04-10-2006, 12:35 PM
a friend of mine is running FJ60 axels and just got a rear locker for $280.00.
check this place out;http://www.eoronline.com/ bigok
evil,what happened to pics of your fuel filler setup?:shocked!:

Are they gone????
I can send you some more if you need them. I'm going to be fixing that soon BTW. Now that everything is done, I'm gonna start doing some cosmetic work on everything.

I defantly see a locker in my future. Hopefully before the Melt. Gotta keep up with them Texas boy's out on the trails after all!!!

madzukr
04-10-2006, 01:08 PM
you said you were going to send me some,as far as i know i never got any.

Are they gone????
I can send you some more if you need them. I'm going to be fixing that soon BTW. Now that everything is done, I'm gonna start doing some cosmetic work on everything.

I defantly see a locker in my future. Hopefully before the Melt. Gotta keep up with them Texas boy's out on the trails after all!!!

purevil71
04-10-2006, 04:03 PM
you said you were going to send me some,as far as i know i never got any.

My bad...I'll get right on that!!