PDA

View Full Version : Not Sure Where To Start

SamuraiZR2
04-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Ok, well, I have about got my Samurai up to pretty good running condition (after I get the carb back from getting rebuilt). So, I'm gettin ready to start making upgrades. The more I think about it the more extreme I want to make it. SO, I don't know what to do first. I'm thinking about finding some Toyota Axles and rebuild them with lower gears first. But I'm not sure if thats the right thing. Any suggestions??? Its a stocker right now but I'd like to get it somewhat rideable soon.

Itsmejoe231
04-03-2006, 05:08 PM
I suggest runing it like it is first and see what you want after that. What terrain are you gona wheel? Rocks, mud or a combo? Are you gonna leave it on the street as a DD or just a trail rig and trailer it?

Do you have friends that already have a built rig? That is how I learned to build mine.....I learned from there mistakes and non mistakes. Not necceary mistakes but when they would buy something and get in the mail, i would look at it and make it for less $$.

I am sure there are people that bought a stock Sami and then tore it down and built a monster rig probably wished they would have done it in steps.

SamuraiZR2
04-03-2006, 06:12 PM
I'll be in a combination of mud and rock. More of trail riding. I orignially wanted to make it street legal...but now I just want to make it the best and most capable as possible.

A buddy of mine has a 66 half cab Bronco...but he hasn't really done much but do a 351 windsor swap, 3" BL, and 32x11.50s. And he got someone else to do all that work... so I'm kinda in the dark. Thats one reason for asking the question.

I want to lift it, bad. But I dont want to lift it just alittle then later on spend more money to buy more lift. You know??? I mean I'm a college student so I'm in to spending money smarter. But I'm considering just lifting the stock ride enough to fit 31x10.50s on it (because thats what my daily driver has and I'd like to get some new tires for it even though the tires I have are still really good). I mean.. What am I looking at doing to fit 31s and about how much $$ would that run me???

Itsmejoe231
04-03-2006, 06:30 PM
If you want to lift it to get 31" tires, here is a very good write up on the basic spring over. http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=174

I dont know how much you can do yourself, but a spring over is pretty easy with a little bit of welding. You can do the YJ swap but that involves either buying a kit or making your own kit but you can run 33" tires real easy.

shorty
04-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Follow Joe's advice on the basic SPOA on the link... It will clear the tires easily and will be done for very little out of pocket cash if you can do the work yourself.